1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Why don't kids today like old cartoons?

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Master Moron, Mar 26, 2005.

1. ChristineFreak

>That's my estimate, folks. Feel free to make one yourself.

...Oh my... OK.

>Yes, that means that you don't count.

Heheh, sorry. :-[

>Oh, and that's Smurfs.

Sorry. I can't spell propper nouns.:-[ But anyway, if I were three years old... I'd still love those shows.:-D

2. Ralph Smithey

Ralph Smithey New Member

since when the (edited) was Muppet Babies classic cartoon. It premiered in 84. last time i checked, that aint classic.

3. Chris Wood

Chris Wood Desslar

Not to push any sensitive buttons, but 1984 was 21 years ago. That's generally too old to get on TV today.

4. Ralph Smithey

Ralph Smithey New Member

21 years is not that old. 80s toons sucked anyway (obviously IMO).

5. One Radical Dude

One Radical Dude Whoo-hoo!

Um, dude, two decades and one year.....yeah, that is old. If that's not old, then I don't know what old is.

6. Artimus Gigan

Artimus Gigan Aeris Fries

Anything that is over 20 years that is a form of media, usualy is on DVD and is considered Old...reason why it is on DVD...

7. Merilee

Merilee Member

That IS true!

That IS true, and THAT'S what's so sad, they form a bias toward stuff like 'Pokemon' ad automatically hate the stuff WE love like 'Speed Buggy' wothout even giving it a chance. That's why I would suggest giving kids both when they're young. Showing them old AND new cartoons, that way when they've seen enough of both they can choose what they like bestinstead of having us choose for them!
    Merilee
    :cool:

8. Artimus Gigan

But Speedy buggy was pretty much a Hanna Barbera reject, much like the Gobots, the assorted Marvel and DC shorts and The Gary Coleman show were, those were in no way of any high quality.

9. Chris Wood

Chris Wood Desslar

Yeah, even though I fondly remember my Speed Buggy lunchbox, it's not exactly what I would choose as a prime example of older cartoons.

10. Ralph Smithey

Ralph Smithey New Member

Well I guess, but there is a different between old and classic. A classic is something that is both "old", yet at the same time, timeless, and an icon in culture. Based on this definition, Muppet Babies is not in my book a classic.

11. Merilee

Merilee Member

I don't know about that...

Well, I'm with you on 'Gary Coleman Show', but I don't know about 'Speed Buggy', I know a lot of people who still fondly remember it, it was on all three networks, and they were even guest stars on a 'Scooby Movie'. I just wanted to mention something different besides 'Scooby Doo' cause I know that's what everyone is saying.
    But stil you gotta admit, we should give shows like this a chance. (NOT Gary Coleman or GoBots, I'll give you that, but 'Speed Buggy' and 'Josie' definitely!) You never know, quite a number of kids just MIGHT decide they like it! :)
    Merilee

12. Chris Wood

Chris Wood Desslar

Well, if kids like Scooby they'd pretty much have to like Josie since it's nearly the same show. Although the absence of a wacky animal hurts it.

13. tucsoncoyote

tucsoncoyote Time to get my "Game face" on

I have to agree with you here Merilee, and in fact a lot of shows now have episode caps and limits placed on them whereas 20 years ago they didn't have that kind of Limits.. as long as the ratings held, the show remained fresh (That's why Shows Like GI Joe, Transformers and the Ghostbusters got well over 80 shows). But you are right about the issues of showing new shows.. All three Cable Cartoon Networks are now really limiting some shows because they feel it's too "Cost Prohibitve, while others just cap off shows and never return to them.. Kids today are also fickle but not as fickle as the execs in these companies.

so t's time the fans take back the airwaves and start to tell execs and show tham that ratings and quality do matter.

:coyote:

14. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Those shows aired in syndication, which explains their long runs. Syndicated shows produce all of their episodes and then sell them to any interested network, ratings didn't really mattered to much for that type of show.

Oh, they know that ratings matter, which is why most of the shows mentioned are not on the air.

I'm sick of repeating this: There is a network for all these cartoons. CN was kind enough to create it, but saying "I don't get Boomerang" is not a valid answer.

15. Merilee

Merilee Member

But it's true!

It may not be a valid answer, but it's TRUE!!!!
    Why can't the cable companies PUT it on basic cable?! If they did, we wouldn't BE complaining! Just because they DID create it doesn't cange the fact that it's not on basic cab;e and it doesnt make it any more fair!
    Sorry, but the cable compaines are the ones making us complain!
    We want our old cartoons and we want it on basic cable!!!!! But it's never going to happen. Creating something out of kindness but not letting everyone get it isn't any more fair!
    Merilee

16. Artimus Gigan

Just buy the DVDs then...they have to make it a pay channel in order to turn a profit, it's a nitche audiance much like The Anime Network is...

17. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

"We"? I almost want to quote Bart Simpson. But I won't.

As sad as this sounds, Boomerang doesn't really create a huge demand as other Kids networks do. So chances are, most companies would rather skip the network from their lineups because they feel that getting would be a waste of money. And let's face it, I doubt any kid would watch ONLY Boomerang.

For the record, I stopped asking my cable company for Boomerang (via website) when I found out that the rival company had exclusive rights for the network in the city I live, and my cable company wouldn't be able to get it even if they wanted to. I dunno, but this might be true for other places as well.

18. Dark Fact

Dark Fact Preaching evil since '04

I don't know if complaining to cable networks will in any way shape or form get them to agree to start showing classic stuff. You're better off getting the DVDs. :shrug:

19. ktoriyama

ktoriyama Darkness in light

I get it

But back home, I live in a second (third?) world country and we haxor it from Mexico, or some South American country cause all the commercials are in Spanish. But I ain't complaining.

20. Chris Wood

Chris Wood Desslar

Boomerang isn't exactly fantastic anyway. There are lots of great older shows that they don't air.