1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why don't kids today like old cartoons?

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Master Moron, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Master Moron

Master Moron Active Member

I remember when I was a kid growing up in the 80s they played old Looney Tunes and Hanna Barbara shorts right next to new cartoons. I didn't even know the difference between old cartoons and new cartoons when I was a kid, they were all cartoons. When I was a little bit older and did start to know the difference I remember they started showing Rocky and Bullwinkle on Nickelodeon and after hearing about this cartoon from adults I wanted to watch it to see what it was like. I never had any bias against old animation.

However, nowadays no one wants to air old cartoons because they always get bad ratings. How come kids today only want to watch new shows? I think it kind of sucks that old shows are forgtotten so easily.

2. Dark Fact

Dark Fact Preaching evil since '04

That's funny. When I was a kid, I loved watching a lot of the old stuff. Flintstones, Jetsons, Rocky & Bullwinkle, and Speed Racer. Not to mention Looney Toons too. ;)

I don't know if it has to do with age. It's possible that networks just don't believe that these old toons would work for today's youth and would rather invest in serious ratings-grabbers like Spongebob Squarepants rather than Speed Racer. :sad:

3. Donald Duck 12

Donald Duck 12 Heaven Bound- Happy Easter!

Who says they don't? Execs just stuff them with reruns and don't give old cartoons any airtime. I am certain that old material that has not been seen in ten years would do better than new material that plays four times a day!

4. Merilee

Merilee Member

It's because..

It's because kids today don't ave a CHANCE too see them, they alwasy knock them off the networks to showcase the work of new animators. They never give it a chance.
    Merilee
    :cool:

5. Daffy Dork

Daffy Dork Active Member

probably because of the way the poor video looks,the prints of looney tunes on cartoon network do somewhat show their age,but trust me,if u showed a kid who had never seen looney tunes before in their life,a copy of the transfers on the golden collections,they would probably think the toons were from the late 90's;)

6. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

Probably for the same reason I'm not drawn to the Nick At Nite lineup. Of course, animation is different, since it's drawings instead of video footage of the people of yesteryear, but you can still tell.

7. One Radical Dude

One Radical Dude Whoo-hoo!

I'm gonna have to disagree (to some degree) that the children of today don't enjoy classic animation. It really isn't that they don't like older material. A lot of children of today's generation have less access to older programs than children did a decade or more ago. My youngest sibs (Ages 2 and 3) are exposed to older programs (Scooby-Doo [not counting "What's New...?"], Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes, etc.) and to the newer programs. Today's good source of classic animation would be Time Warner's Boomerang. However, most people do not have Boomerang. Unless you have satellite TV or if your digital cable provider even carries it (my city's digital cable provider doesn't carry Boomerang), then you're outta luck. If more cable providers would carry such networks, then maybe, things would work out....maybe.

I do agree that there aren't enough classics out there on television today. Yes, it would be nice to have more older stuff. However, a lot of classic stuff is being released on DVD. If you wanna give children the opportunity to witness older stuff, get them on DVD....play old tapes with classic stuff....or tune in to Boomerang....do something! :p Networks (not just cartoon networks) aren't gonna appease to people who only like older stuff, and not much of new stuff. They're gonna try to score well on ratings. If they tried to appease the minority, then they're going to lose money (thus, jobs would be lost and maybe channels lost, too).

As a animation fan, I really enjoy older stuff. However, I welcome seeing new material, as well.

8. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

As the others said above, kids *do* like watching older cartoons (as the huge success of "Scooby Doo" has shown)---they just don't get a chance to watch them. Reasons being:

- Executives thinking kids won't want to watch older material and/or only want to focus on the latest-and-greatest: hard to find room for "Looney Tunes" when they'd rather fill their airtime with variants on "Pokemon" or "Yu-Gi-Oh" or whatever...

- The media consolidation of the 90's has resulted in old material of all types (not just cartoons) not making it to the air as much as it used to; the big corporations would rather keep their own material to themselves and air it only on channels they own. Ex: 20 years ago, The FLintstones or "Star Trek" were easily available in syndication; now, Time-Warner won't air the Flintstones outside of Cartoon Network/Boomerang/other networks it owns outright, and Viacom won't air "Star Trek" outside of its own networks (or exclusive deals with one network) like UPN...

- The death of seeing older material might be a casualty of the very success the modern age of animation's brought us: *something* had to go to make room for "Animaniacs," "Batman: the Animated Series," etc.

- The rise in first-run syndicated adult programming's killed off kids' TV programming on most local stations; they'd rather air stuff like "Judge Judy," "Oprah", "Elimidate" and "The Family Feud" instead of cartoons.

- The rise of UPN and the WB (and to a lesser extent the rise of Pax, Univision and Telemundo---the latter two buying up former English-language independent stations) have eaten into what used to be independent, non-network affiliated stations---the ones that would've been most likely to air reruns of cartoons and whatnot.

- The rise of home video. Some probalby figure "why bother rerunning 'The Jetsons' when the rugrats can watch it on DVD?" (If it's the owners talking about a show: "When we can *sell* it to them instead and rake in the moolah")

- The "new and improved" mindset of TV Execs leading to only wanting "retooled" or "modernized" versions of stuff kids liked perfectly well before. Sometimes this has decent results ("Tiny Toon Adventures"), but other times, well, judging from reactions to "Loonatics" and "The Batman"...

Those are all my own guesses. Kind of sad, either way, to think my 2-year-old niece probably won't get to see the original Bugs Bunny unless *I* or her mother probably show them to her via DVD...

-B.

9. Fan of Sponge

Fan of Sponge Active Member

Kids want something new and hip to knock their socks off after a long at school. They enjoy classic shows when their is nothing else on. I mean a kid working in laboratory sounds a lot cooler than seeing a bear stealing picnic baskets (I think they're both even for me). However, let aside the new animators and give them a chance to show their work to the kids who are watching. There's just too many shows to fit into one cable channel even now let alone two or three. That's why Nick spun-off Nicktoons, CN spun-off Boomerang, and Disney spun-off Toon Disney. I sometimes imagine a WB cartoon channel to allow all the WB cartoons to become an independent channel.

It's not the kids not liking the old cartoons, it's the amount of cartoons that have overloaded the system and the execs have to kick a show to allow another show premiere.

10. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee Hollywood pitchman

I have to agree with some of my fellow posters. I think one of the bigger reasons is weaker animation and prints that are dirty and scratchy. Another reason could be that some of the cartoons of the 70's and 80's were a bit preachy and non-violent.

In my childhood, Superfriends was THE show, but I can see how it would not appeal to younger viewers. The animation and character development is inferior to the current Justice League Unlimited series. Plus, JLU offers more violent action than some of the 15-minute Superfriends shorts where Superman and Aquaman are rescuing an elephant or the Wonder Twins are trying to prevent drag racing.

11. Merilee

Merilee Member

What's wrong with that?

12. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Because it's not their kind of humor.

Kids today have gotten used to the style of humor of the new Cartoon cartoons, Nicktoons and other shows like Simpsons and Family Guy, not to mention the huge output from Japan, who do not share the same kind of humor cartoons from the 40s-80s offered.

Yeah, it would be nice if they still aired stuff like Looney Tunes, Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, which were all great and kids would definitely watch if they had better exposure. Fortunately, some (but not all) of them are being released on DVD. Tom & Jerry, who are still on CN, have drawn in some viewers from younger ages, which proves these cartoons have appeal. The problem is that they don't give AS MUCH viewers as the new stuff.

And for the record, the mayority of kids today (age below 12) HATE the TV cartoons from the 70s and 80s. They do, so don't even pretend they don't. Which is why Boomerang was created (to please some of the old-timers), but it also explains why many cable companies don't bother getting the network. My little brothers find Scooby-Doo (the original series!) boring, and I still need to find a kid who knows who Speed Buggy is.

In short, kids see it like this:

New Cartoons and Anime > Classic Cartoons from the 40s-60s > TV Cartoons from the 70s-80s

13. Davesnothere

Davesnothere A Gallopin' Gaucho

Well, my own kids are exceptions... I mean how many six-year olds have actually seen an original Betty Boop short, much less have their favorites? For the majority of today's kids, some of it is just culture shock, the rest is a normal prejudice towards anything they know is from another generation. My generation grew up with WB, Famous Studios, Terrytoons, Fleischer, and MGM shorts being commonplace on TV, so most of us didn't realize we were watching cartoons that were anywhere from ten to forty years old until we were 10-40 ourselves!

Now, about culture shock; most of what are considered "classics" were made in days long before women's lib, or any other movement towards "political correctness" (i.e. polite tyranny!). Cartoon characters would sometimes smoke, minorities were almost always stereotypically portrayed (sometimes harmlessly, sometimes not!), and male dominance was the rule, not the pitiful exception. I would really love to see a dad in anything on TV today cartoon or otherwise who has a backbone and a mind of his own!

The truth is, the "classics" will come and go on TV, but they'll probably never totally disappear. Even if the TV networks drop 'em they can be had on home video. The TV cartoons from the '70's & '80's will probably only live on strictly as nostalgia. I can't really watch 'em very long myself and I'm from that generation!

14. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

You can't even see anything that's five years old, let alone 50. It's a plot to make the generation gap separated more frequently, and to make sure no two generations of kids have ANYthing in common. What a fun life it's going to be.

*raises hands and calls out* BOOOOOOO!!

15. Artimus Gigan

Artimus Gigan Aeris Fries

To be perfectly honest

I hated Looney Toons and HB when I was little.....and I still hate them now.

They bored me consantly...I just didn't find them funny.

However the only one I found tolerable was Wacky Racers...because cars blew up..

and then Voltron came on right after....and all was good

16. Matt-a-Tastic

Matt-a-Tastic Active Member

WTF, I grew up on old cartoons (H-B and Looney Toones), my friends did, and there little brothers did.

Heck I know loads of little kids, and ALL of them like Tom and Jerry and Scooby-Doo e.t.c

17. Merilee

Merilee Member

Me, too!!

Me, too!! I guess, my friend, you and I are the agreeable exceptions cause I baby sit and the girls I sit for...whenever I show them my tapes of Speed Buggy and Scooby Doo, Where Are You, they love them! They want more of them! Not violent, entertaining, edge-of-your-seat...
    They don't find them boring at all!

For that matter to the person who said the 70's cartoons were all male-dominated, that's wrong. Maybe a lot of them were, and I agree Scooby may have been one of them (hence the modern update) but shows like 'Butch Cassidy' and 'Speed Buggy' weren't. On 'Butch' Butch was chosen to lead the Kids by his boss, but he always treated them fairly and never dominated over them, and in 'Speed Buggy' they're all equal, and often its Debbie who saves the day.

I know these might have been the exception, but they were there!
    But I agree with you on modern cartoon fathers.

Anyway, I know to each his own, but don't force modern cartoons down the kids throats just cause YOU think it's the in thing, networks. Give the kids a chance!
    Merilee
    :cool:

18. Artimus Gigan

Artimus Gigan Aeris Fries

Little kids will like anything, they'll think the same thing of Akira as they do with Rocky and Bullwinkle. Pretty muxh their minds are blank slates, devoid of any actual experiances that are in the material, so they can't really relate and just form vauge ideas.

19. Matt-a-Tastic

Matt-a-Tastic Active Member

Well I dont baby sit little kids, but almost *all* of my friends seem to have them as simblings

20. Scythemantis

Scythemantis With Soar-Throat Ghost

Now, how are they "forcing" new shows on anyone just by airing new shows? Networks have constantly aired new material since the dawn of television. They have to do so to survive, it's nothing new.

I was just about to say that as great as the classics are to us, we shouldn't force them down kid's throats, and when kids don't like them, we shouldn't go blaming the networks or thinking the kids are ignorant/brainwashed. When most of us were little, there were plenty of "old things" we didn't like or understand, but we generally grow to appreciate them later. While this will be surprising to anyone who knows me, I hated old horror-movies for a long time as a kid. I only liked the newest, flashiest, most realistic monsters. I liked the old ones too, but not the movies they were in, or the special effects used to produce them. Now, I prefer giant styrofoam aliens and spaceships on visible strings above ANY of today's bouncy, CG demons and predator wannabes.

But yeah, like others say, I didn't even know how old HB toons were when I was little. I knew looney tunes were old, but didn't fully realize just how old. I think I understood that all HB toons were in reruns, though.

I didn't even realize how many kids right now must be growing up without seeing so much as a Bug Bunny short. I keep thinking they haven't been off-air long enough for it to matter, but it's been at least a year or two, and that's a lot of time for little kids. That can be a pretty sizeable chunk of "growing up".