1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Why doesn't Nickelodeon broadcast anime anymore?

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Pomegranate, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

Probably not the best choice if they were to consider anime. Don't get me wrong, it's a recent favorite, but a better choice would be an anime with a larger episode count. I'm just being hypothetical though. Then again, they aired Wayside three weeks in a row.

2. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

No, the show doesn't fit Nick. The only place I could see it air would be on The N.

3. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Really, I just needed the name of an anime. His and her Circumstances was the 1st title that I could think of. I could have just as easily had said Green Legend Ran or Nasty Old Lady or Getbackers. Only people who follow anime would even have heard of any of these titles. Joe and Jane Average would most likely not know what you were talking about. And kids who watch Nick probably wouldn't care. So there would be no reason for Nick to air any of them. That was my point.

4. Kuroba

Kuroba Quiet, you.

Okay then, but honestly, you needen't ovvereact.

5. Goldstar Neo

I don't see how that could be interpreted as overreacting. I wasn't even mad then, as I'm not now. But no problem. Everything's fine like wine. :cool:

6. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Those are pretty bad examples. For starters, all the animes you mention don't fit Nick at all (ANN doesn't even list Nasty Old Lady so I'm guessing you made that one up), so it's not like they will ever air them, under any circumstances.

Second, I do in fact agree Nick doesn't really need to air anime (even though Nick Latin America does air a couple of anime) as the network does fine the way it currently works.

BUT

I think that if Nick does pick up an anime that fits their style and demographics, I could certainly see it doing well. For example, let's say Nick picks a couple of seasons of Doraemon and advertises it as a new show, it could certainly grab the attention of Nick's viewers to guarantee the show being aired more constantly.

This is Nickelodeon we're talking about. It's the network were pretty much anything aimed at kids has the POTENTIAL of doing well. Saying that anime will fail because they're obscure in comparison to say, Spongebob or FOP, is kind of a bad analogy since those Nicktoons have been constantly airing on TV for YEARS, while all the animes used as examples yet have only aired in Japan, or released in limited DVD releases in the US. Think about it, Doraemon is just as obscure as Spongebob and FOP were before they aired on TV.

I know some of you will skim through this post, so here's the abridged version: Nick doesn't need to air anime, but if they pick something that fits their modus operandi, it certainly has the potential of becoming a hit.

7. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

What does Nick Latin America air?

8. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

They picked up Yu-Gi-Oh (the 4Kids version) a few months after it premiered in the US, and have been airing it ever since. There's another one that aired for a while, but I don't remember the name right now...

9. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow, I didn't know that. I know Nick UK also aired Yu-Gi-Oh.

10. Gokou Ruri

Gokou Ruri Wielder of the dark arts.

Eh, but they do get acquisitions that you can say fits their network (stuff like Wayside, My Dad the Rockstar, that sort of stuff) but they always seem to do poorly for some reason and get shoved to Nicktoons Network.

11. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Nope. Nasty Old Lady was an actual anime. It ran in 1970 in Japan as Ijiwaru Baasan, aka Bullying Old Woman for 40 episodes, then later there was a remake lasting 46 episodes. Based on a 1966 manga by Sazaesan creator Machiko Hasegawa. Check out The Anime Encyclopedia by Jonathan Clements and Helen McCarthy if you doubt me.

12. Goldstar Neo

^What he said.^

Ijiwaru Baasan, aka, Nasty Old Lady was a real anime. Why the smeg would I make that up? Listen, I may not be an anime expert (as I never once claimed to be), but I'm not so desperate that I would need to invent a show to get my point across.

13. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

Perhaps. But I think that has mostly to do with the quality of the series rather than if it is an acquisition or not. I saw My Dad The Rockstar and... man, did that show suck.

Hey, I'm no anime expert either, so if you're gonna name something obscure, you could at least use the actual name of the anime instead of a translation no site uses.

14. VeiledHat

VeiledHat Pineapple from Heck

Yu-Gi-Oh is on Nicktoons, lmao. DBZKai also used to air on there. A lot has happened since this thread. Todd Haberkorn wanted to get Fairy Tail onto Nick hahahaha
    Deko Boko Friends and Domo TV were also on Noggin and Nicktoons.
    Korra's second season was animated in Japan.

15. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition

Please don't revive a decade-old thread. At this rate, it's better to find a recent thread with a similar premise or create your own to discuss this subject. Thread locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.