1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why doesn't Nickelodeon broadcast anime anymore?

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Pomegranate, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockoFan

RockoFan I am now utterly normal

I wasn't complaining. Just saying that Rocko is more mature humor than potty humor.:cool:

2. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Rocko was definitely more mature than anything else on Nick at the time. I liked it a lot more than Rugrats, but that's just me.

3. FriendlyMushroom

FriendlyMushroom Knight of Sidonia

I agree with Blackstar. People may want Nick to turn to anime, but that's just not Nick. Its target audience is KIDS.

Most "good" animes the common American probably doesn't know about, and wouldn't be very popular, so Nick doesn't take them. The animes that have proven popular (Pokemon, DBZ, Yu-Gi-Oh, Naruto) aren't respected very much by the "elite" anime fans, who want anime on Nick in the first place. Why try to appeal to a smaller group and risk losing your main audience, when your main audience is safe and sound?

4. Kuroba

Kuroba Quiet, you.

That depends on the studio. Madhouse is superior to most American animation, but Studio Pierrot is probably on par or worse.

I'm an anime fan, but I can't see anime being on Nick and I don't really want it there either. They've tried it before, and it failed, so really, what's the point?

And who suggested Fist of The North Star to be on Nick? That's laughable, really.

5. Gokou Ruri

Gokou Ruri Wielder of the dark arts.

A studio isn't automatically better than another, it all comes down to the budget, which is different for each show and situation. Trigun was done by Madhouse, and it's animation is pretty bad.

Very few television shows in Japan come close to America's level of animation (unless the American show in question is a low-budget show like Charlie & Lola, or something). The only one I can think of is Ghost in the Shell: SAC (it apparently has the biggest budget ever in terms of Japanese television animation, I hear, so that's probably why)

Uh, most Japanese animation is aimed for kids, since that's where the money is at. Like I said a year ago, Nickelodeon doesn't air it because it just doesn't bring in ratings. Japanese animation is extremely niche, outside one or two exceptions like Pokemon (again, for kdis)

6. Kuroba

Kuroba Quiet, you.

Madhouse as of the recent years have been making some beautiful animations. Toki wa Kakeru shojo, Tokyo Grandfathers, Denno Coil, etc...
    I'd say those are actually superior to American Animation. Not to say America can't animate well.

7. Gokou Ruri

Aren't those movies, though? Movies have higher budgets than television shows, even in Japan. Comparing them to American TV series is a bit unfair.

8. Anti-Cosmo

Anti-Cosmo Anti-Fairy

I didn't know that Kick used to brodcast anime... Astonishing.

9. FriendlyMushroom

Maybe I should rephrase my statement: Nick is for little kids. And while much anime is made for kids, those are Japanese kids, not American kids. Japan and America have different standards and values. Much of what Japan makes for kids would be considered inappropriate by most American parents.

And as I said, most of the people who want Nick to "go anime" are elite, older viewers- and a small group of viewers, at that. The little kids- the large target audience- are happy the way it is. Going to stuff like Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh would not satisfy the older group, and would risk losing the younger kids. Going to more mature stuff like Death Note or FMA might win the older audience, but would definitely lose the youger group. And Nick is worse off in the ratings.

Some people may want anime on Nick, but that's just not going to happen, for good business reasons.

10. Gokou Ruri

Nick actually gets good ratings between the ages of 12 and 17. Not as good as Disney, but their 12 - 17 viewship is a lot higher than CN (which does air Japanese animation) with shows like Avatar, Zoey 101, Ned's Declassified, and Drake and Josh that pull in big ratings for 12 - 17 (often getting slots on the most viewed television for 12 - 17 bracket)

So, as long as it was part of their TeeNick block, it would fit, but it goes back to my point that it wouldn't get as good of ratings as stuff like Zoey 101 does.

Nick and Disney have a very big teenage viewership that they appeal to. CN doesn't. Ironically, they're also the only ones that show Japanese animation. That might make people think twice about wanting them to add Japanese animation to Nick.

11. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

Like people have already said, Nick doesn't need to broadcast anime. They get great ratings by showing reruns of their original shows. The only time I could see anime on Nick is if there is an anime that they knew would garner big ratings(like Pokemon-big) or they did a co-production with one of the Japanese studios. If we ever do see anime, it'll probably be on Nicktoons Network, since they have a few acquisitions on their lineup.

Then again, at least for CN, anime probably doesn't have to get big ratings to stay on the block. Because it's not an original production and it costs less to acquire, they probably don't worry too much(unless it dips too low like IGPX).

While they may not have a big teenage fanbase compared to Nick and Disney, there is some there. That's where most of their anime does well in(along with 9-14).

12. RockoFan

RockoFan I am now utterly normal

I don't want to see anime on Nick. Their lineup is more than enough to satisfy the common viewer.

Why risk losing their viewers? Anime usually is popular with kids under 10 or 11, but beyond that, there isn't much demand for anime. I'm actually very proud of Nickelodeon for sticking to mostly American animation.:D

13. FriendlyMushroom

Note that, aside from Avatar, most of these big draws are live-action teen shows. I don't think that the same audience that watches TeeNick would watch anime. And Avatar isn't even part of TeeNick.

14. Goldstar Neo

Anime's popularity in America is cult at best. Deny it all you want, but the fact is that the number of animes that have become a fixture in American culture like Speed Racer or Pokemon can be counted on 1 hand. And Friendly Mushroom made an excellent point concerning anime fans. Most fans who want to see anime on Nick are aged 17-21, who aren't in Nick's target demographic and probably shouldn't be watching Nick anymore.

Most kids aged 12 and under don't care about anime, unless you're talking about the mainstream anime like Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh!. An anime series would only interest Nick if it were a series that had gained mainstream success in the States. Nick isn't going to spend money to import an obscure anime show like His and her Circumstances that kids wouldn't understand or care about and that most people in the U.S. have never even heard of. Again, kids don't care about anime, and they're certainly not going to watch a show just because it's anime. Kids just want to be entertained. Nick is the 1st kids' network. if you're not a kid, Nick doesn't care what you want.

To all the fan boys and girls who continually complain on message boards that they want to see Nick become an anime channel for teens, I offer you a big, tall glass of "Get a life".

15. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

You mean, "broadcast?" It's already been brought to America already.

16. Kuroba

Kuroba Quiet, you.

And another thing, His and Her Circumstances is not really "obscure". It's moderately well-known.

17. Gokou Ruri

Perhaps in the otaku community, but in general, it's obscure. You have to look at the population in general, not a fandom.

18. Goldstar Neo

Thank you, Galentone.

His and Her Circumstances is only well known if you follow the anime scene, which I (along with many others) don't. I'm not an expert on anime, nor did I ever claim to be. I honestly didn't know that His and Her Circumstances had been released in the U.S. My fault for not being an anime-head. That was just the 1st title that came into my brain when I typed that. And anyway, has His and Her Circumstances ever aired on Nickelodeon? No. Thus, my point is still valid.

19. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

What the heck is His and Her Circumstances???

20. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kare_Kano I actually like the show, from what I've seen of it, but I don't think it would work for Nick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.