1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Why doesn't Nickelodeon broadcast anime anymore?

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Pomegranate, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasputin

Rasputin Self-Declared Expert

Yes, I'm sure you're really really sorry about bestowing such an obvious and completely undisputable fact. :shrug:

You resurrect a thread from a month ago just to say this? Did you consider your one-line post important enough to warrant this?

2. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

What the hell? I thought this thread was new.

3. simpsonsfan

simpsonsfan Froakie - Bubble Frog Pokemon
    Staff Member Moderator

4. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

OK, it was a bit late, but Nicktoonsfan does make a pretty good point. Personally, I'm sick of listening to hardcore anime freaks who worship anime just because it's anime, as if the animation from Japan is automatically superior to the animation from any other nation. Anime is not the key to making everything great. There are just as many mediocre and crummy anime shows as there are USAnimated ones. I have nothing against anime, but it's following is cult at best, and anime is certainly is not the greatest thing to happen to TV since the invention of the remote control. Nick doesn't show anime because they don't need to. I don't give Nick a lot of compliments, but I actually admire the networks' desire to keep producing their own in-studio stuff and their refusal to jump on the anime bandwagon. Nick's target audience is KIDS, not teenage anime nuts. Besides, there are enough entire channels devoted soley to anime (FUNimation Channel, Anime Network) already. Nick doesn't need to become one.

5. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

This schedule isn't Nixplosion. It's not even Nickelodeon. This is a schedule from the Show Any Given Cartoon from Any Given Time and Any Given Company Channel.

Sorry to bump this old thread, but this schedule is far too broad and random. It's all over the road. There's no rhyme or reason to it. No theme or consistency in the programming. And it's certainly not something they'd actually do on Nick or any Nick-affiliated channel. This schedule makes no sense. Most of these shows could not, would not or should not ever be seen on Nick. Why the frell would Nick ever show Loonatics Unleashed? An 'adult' block has no business being on the premier KIDS' network. And Men in Black: The Series and Ace Ventura: Pet Detective would be bloody stupid acquisitions because neither show has any relevance now. How long has it been since the last MiB or Ace Ventura movie came out?

Nick doesn't do acquisitions, and when they did, they didn't handle them all that well. Furthermore, Nick doesn't NEED to show anime; they've been doing just fine as an anime-free network for the last decade, so why should they start showing anime now? It's not like they need the money or the ratings.

Anyone who is dissatisfied with Nick's current lineup is either too old for it or simply can change the channel to something else. Nick is not going to become Anime Network Jr. just because a handful of people consider anime to be the be-all end-all solution to all of TV's problems.

#65 Silverstar, Jul 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2007
  6. Lavenderpaw

Lavenderpaw Essense Of Love

You wouldn't happen to be acquainted with JWS,would ya? ;)

BTW,you do know there's different defintions of the word 'bad' correct?

So you must mean Anime is 'bad' as in 'cool'.

In that cast,I think Anime is bad then, :cool:

7. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

My two cents:

Nick's formula works, and works well for the moment. CN and Disney get pulverized in the ratings by Nick, and even ESPN, TNT, and other cable networks get pounded unless, as people have said, there's a major sports event airing.

If CN and Disney start catching up, then Nick should consider a change in strategy. But right now, Nick gets a healthy budget and a lot of talented minds to craft material. And it works. Nick doesn't need anime the way CN needed it back in 2000. Anime is good for the quick ratings, but trends show that an anime show tends to fall off in popularity once the novelty wears off (see Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, DBZ). Nick's shows tend to stand up extremely well years after they first aired.

Right now, there's no need for anime on Nick. I do wish they would move Skyland from Nicktoons Network to give Avatar some backup in the action department, but until Nick's ratings fall, I don't see why the station needs to air acquisitions.

8. limel

limel Active Member

Funny you mention these two specific ones, considering they both aired on Nick at one point not long ago.

9. Gokou Ruri

Gokou Ruri Wielder of the dark arts.

Disney has been actually beating Nick in the ratings for awhile now.

10. desi

desi Active Member

Anime, for most of the time I see have superior animation but poor story-telling. Stories are complicated. One story is dragged in to many episodes. Villains always manage to comeback from death. Most animes seem to keep my attention for first few episodes, then they become irritatingly repititive.

11. Gokou Ruri

Not sure what series you've been watching, but Japanese animation tend to have pretty bad animation due to budget constraints.

12. Goldstar Neo

We're straying from the point here, folks. Just like USAnimation, Anime is too wide spread a genre to be generalized in one sentence like "It's great!" or "It sucks!" Saying that all anime sucks is like saying that all books suck or that all movies suck. It's ridiculous to try and judge all anime by just 3 or 4 shows when there are literally hundreds of shows made by different studios aimed at different audiences and age/interest groups.

Anyway, let's not turn this into a debate between anime lovers and and anime haters. The topic of discussion is "Why doesn't Nickelodeon broadcast anime?" to which, answer is because Nick doesn't need to show anime. Some fans may want Nick to "go anime", but the network does not NEED to do it in the least. The fact that Nick continually brings in high ratings by showing SpongeBob Squarepants and Fairly OddParents 5 times a day proves that Nick is doing just fine without Japanimation. Why should Nick try to fix something that isn't broken?

13. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Can I have a source, please?

There's some anime out there with strong stories, such as Last Exile, Evangelion, Fafner, Eureka Seven . . . just as there's anime with a ton of weak stories. Japanese anime has as many bad shows as good ones, just like here in North America. Beast Wars had terrific storytelling, and so does Avatar. I was also a big fan of the plotting in the 90's Spider-man and the first season of the Incredible Hulk.

Note that most of the anime I mentioned are adult or near-adult works. Shonen, which is probably what you're thinking about, has a lot of those flaws (see DBZ, Naruto). But that's the same as, say, Danny Phantom, whose world almost constantly resets after every episode, or Kim Possible. The Japanese stuff really isn't all that different from ours, except they're a big fan of adult action cartoons, while American adult cartoons stay squarely in humor.

14. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silverstar [​IMG]
    And Men in Black: The Series and Ace Ventura: Pet Detective would be bloody stupid acquisitions because neither show has any relevance now.

They did indeed, back when there was still buzz about the movies they were based on and each franchise was still relatively popular. But now, there'd be no point in Nick showing either. Fad shows can only survive as long as the fad is popular. Unless a third movie from either series is in the works, both shows are likely to remain locked away in the vaults.

15. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Apologies for the double-post, but . . .

What would Nick gain by airing anime in a block format (or without a block format?) The answer: ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Spongebob and Oddparents at the moment are strong enough to carry the network almost by themselves, plus the live-action shows are doing pretty good themselves right now, to my knowledge. If Nick aired, say, Stellvia, the show would more likely hurt Nick then help it. Whether it deserves it or not, anything animation-related from Japan tends to be snatched up by a cult and shunned by the general masses. There are exceptions, but Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh were all significantly Americanized, and DBZ was essentially cable-only when it reached its peak, and had an easy-to-follow story with lots of explosions, something that always excites kids.

Naruto noticeably hasn't been Americanized all that much, but it has yet to reach the levels of popularity that either Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and DBZ all had at their peaks. Nick would not touch an anime unless they could Americanize it as much as they wanted (which is what they wanted to do when they briefly pursued Magic Knight Rayearth). Because most licensing companies, unless they're named 4kids, don't want to see their properties butchered en route to television, Geneon, Funimation, and company probably wouldn't want to sell to Nick anyway if their shows weren't going to survive the transition at least moderately intact. The Japanese companies tend to get furious when that happens as well (see: Tokyo Mew Mew/Mew Mew Power, One Piece, Sailor Moon). It's just a lose-lose situation.

With Avatar, Nick has an action show that is influenced by anime principles. They can Americanize it and censor it as much as they want, they own the property. They don't have to deal with the mess left over when Japanese companies are infuriated when their property is chopped up, and negotiating with licensing companies.

16. Gokou Ruri

Here's the ratings reports for the past few weeks.

http://www.cynopsis.com/content/view/2604/53/
    http://www.cynopsis.com/content/view/2642/53/

Nick does good with 2 - 5 year olds, but Disney just about dominates everything between 6 and 18 year olds.

Actually, adult animation is more popular in America than it is in Japan. The top cartoons in Japan are all kids/family stuff while in America you have stuff like Family Guy and The Simpsons at the top of the "most popular" list. Yeah, there's a lot of "adult cartoons" in Japan, but no one really watches them except hardcore otaku, which is why they're on at like 1 AM in the morning.

17. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

18. RockoFan

RockoFan I am now utterly normal

Rocko's Modern Life has hardly any toilet humor in it. At least not to the extent of Rugrats and Ren and Stimpy. Rocko is more 'adult humor' if you ask me. The newer Nick cartoons have hardly any mature humor. Most of it seems to have stopped after people started bashing SpongeBob for that one episode, Rock-A-Bye Bivalve (eg, Patrick says at the end, "let's have another!"). I really haven't seen any mature humor on Nick since then.

19. Goldstar Neo

Well of course Nick has hardly any mature humor. It's a network for kids aged 12 and under(13 at a stretch). How mature is the material supposed to get?

Sorry, but I find it funny when people complain about Nick's programming being too immature or too kiddie. That's like complaining that ESPN is too sports-centric or that Lifetime caters to women.

20. RockoFan

RockoFan I am now utterly normal

Superior animation? It may look cool, but in terms of quality, it's worse.

So basically what you are saying is that four slides per second is better than fifteen? Reeeaaaally....:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.