1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why doesn't Nickelodeon broadcast anime anymore?

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Pomegranate, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pomegranate

Pomegranate Active Member

Nick was better in the past when used to air anime such as Littl' Bits and The Mysterious Cities of Gold. Now, Nick only broadcasts crappy teenybopper comedies and cartoons with toilet humor in them. I wonder why Nick stopped broadcasting anime in the U.S., where in other areas of the globe, they're currently airing stuff like Yu-Gi-Oh and Mew Mew Power.

I think what Nick can do to increase it's ratings is broadcast the following anime: Beyblade, Hamtaro, Shaman King, Candy Candy, Ultimate Muscle: The Kinnikuman Legacy, Kirby: Right Back At Ya!, Mew Mew Power, Viewtiful Joe, Mega Man NT Warrior, Doraemon, Magical Doremi, Tama & Friends, Sonic X(the only animated adaption of Sonic the Hedgehog dubbed by 4Kids), Fighting Foodons, Azumanga Daioh, Pretty Cure, F-Zero GP Legend, Choppy & The Princess, Yu-Gi-Oh(all anime adaptions, if possible), Digimon Savers(Disney has yet to attain the broadcasting rights to this season of Digimon), Sailor Moon(all anime adaptions, if possible), Medabots and Astro Boy(all anime adaptions).

2. Cassie Star

Cassie Star I have no gender.

That won't happen even if hell freezes over.

3. Bryan

Bryan TZ Schedules Admin

That would never happen on the US Nickelodeon. They love their original productions WAY to much. Nickelodeon (US) wants to fill the air with there hits (which you cannot dispute, look at ratings) SpongeBob, OddParents, Drake & Josh, Zoey 101, and others. No matter how much they show the same episodes people tune-in.

4. Gokou Ruri

Gokou Ruri Wielder of the dark arts.

Anime doesn't give them the ratings they're looking for. Notice how most shows that weren't made by them get dropped after awhile?

I'm actually glad Nickelodeon doesn't get into anime. It shows they care about the animation industry as opposed to say Cartoon Network or the other channels who opt to go the cheap route and dub an anime and air it for quick profit than take the time to create their own quality cartoons.

5. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

Cartoon Network doesn't dub anime.

6. Gokou Ruri

Gokou Ruri Wielder of the dark arts.

They acquire it, though. Toonami is pretty much all anime now.

7. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, Cartoon Network is suppose to be a network that airs all types of animation, so it isn't doing anything wrong. And their original productions dominate the airwaves.

8. yoshirider13

yoshirider13 Elite pokemon trainer

You dont watch CN do you? I only see anime in miguzi and toonami....

• Like Like x 1
  9. MegaJ

MegaJ Like a spring breeze.

Picking up anime isn't "the cheap route" in my opinion. In any case, I don't Nickelodeon will get anime ever. I'm not sure if it's content issues or dealing with licenses or whatever.

10. Invader_Zim

Invader_Zim Member

Nick Australia shows Yu-gi-Oh & Mew Mew-unlike Nickelodeon US, although they now seem to cutting back on these this month, and preferring to show hit shows in the timeslot (4-6 PM), like what US Nick does.

11. MarineDweller

MarineDweller nature..nature..nature..

May be coz Nick isn't getting the necessary rights to broadcast anime??!!

12. Rasputin

Rasputin Self-Declared Expert

Nick has more clout, and ultimately gets more money, by producing, distributing and marketing its own stuff rather than fleecing off someone else. It's the most popular channel on cable whenever there isn't a sports game on, giving it the funds to do these types of things. It's not only anime that Nick doesn't show, since it doesn't show old Paramount toons or shows from the seventies or anything of that sort. It revolves around its own, preferably recent, material.

Nick does eye the anime market, but it's not going to go back on the philosophy that's made so much money for it over the last few years. So consequently, instead of getting anime from elsewhere, it makes its own: Avatar. A strategy that, if I do say so myself, has been highly successful. The network's currently in the process of acquiring a wide mix of exclusive content to corner all the potential kids' markets. It has live-action slice-of-life comedies, animated quirky hi-jinks, and anime-inspired action shows...show, singular, thus far.

That's what Nick is, a business. And a clever one at that.

13. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

It's too bad, because there are some anime titles that could work on Nick if promoted right and barely edited.

14. Bubblegum Girl

Bubblegum Girl Magic User Wannabe

It would probably air anime in Nick Japan...

15. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

Wait, there's a Nick Japan? I guess that would make sense since there is a CN Japan...

16. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Here's their website: http://www.nickjapan.com/

17. Carlos

Carlos Active Member

Wow, there's no anime there either.:eek:

18. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Hear of a thing called the Toonami Infolink?

Anime on Nick US? No. Just no. And all the anime you mentioned would fit better on CN and Jetix or have even run on those (as far as I know, Disney still has the rights to Medabots).

And are you crazy? 60's and 80's Astro Boy? 03' could still be able to make it on the air (Jetix seems to be building up quite the relationship with Sony), but the others have no real place to air (unless Adult Swim wants to pair up 60's Astro with Gigantor. Hint Hint).

• Like Like x 1
  19. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

Since CN tends to air shows that are usually Shonen, Nick could air shows that have Shojo in them. Shows like Fruits Basket, Kodocha, Slayers, and Escaflowne could have a new generation of fans if it aired on Nick.

20. Kury Wagner

Kury Wagner Jizzyboobgirlkury

Ooh, that's interesting-- they have Naturally, Sadie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.