Why Doesn't Nick Edify Its Saturdays?

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Trombone77, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Trombone77

Trombone77 Member

Hey, all!

I've had this on my mind for a while and I don't know if anyone can answer this question: Why doesn't Nickelodeon try to build up its Saturdays? Are they not popular anymore?

Honestly, it seems like Nick is trying to copy Cartoon Network in doing premieres on weeknights (which Cartoon Network isn't doing so much anymore, or at least this summer). However, it doesn't seem like it is working for Nick that much. The game shows that aired on weekdays start out well and usually end poorly (although I don't have high hopes on game shows). Nicktoons sometimes premiere lower on weekdays than weekends. Live-action series also have a trend of starting well, but sliding after each season (House of Anubis and Every Witch Way). My thing is that it seems like relegating these series to Saturday would help Nick a lot more. In the mornings, Nick could air SaC, BW, RI, TMNT, LoK, as well as FOP and SBSP (both of which seem to have their episodes held out for some reason). Also, PR could air closer to the premieres (I know Nick doesn't care too much about acquired series, but it might as well use this one to its fullest extent since it has it). Saturday nights could have all of the live-action series (even EWW). I know it sounds like limiting Nick to one day of the week, but since CN has weeknights and Disney has Friday and Sunday nights, Nick should focus its energy on Saturdays. Then, once it can stand on its two feet firmly, it can focus its power on building its weekday premieres.

I don't know if my idea sounds stupid or pointless, but it is too haughty with its scheduling of premieres on weekdays and leaving Saturdays with little to no premieres.

Also, just some additional questions:
    1) Why was TMNT moved to Sundays and why does PR air alone at noon on Saturdays?
    2) Do you think Nick's poor programming choices (which I'll get to at another time) is weakening Saturdays?
    3) What do you think could help Nick get the ratings boost it needs?

2. rockorockorocko

rockorockorocko Active Member

Nick is on a summer hiatus for most of their toons. Whenever they decide to premiere BW, RI, and PR again, it'll all be in a row like how your mentioning. And Sundays are TMNT and KFP. Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with with the weekend morning lineup.

3. kanc

kanc Active Member

I would believe building Sat lineup for new episodes should come in fall.

4. J21697

J21697 Active Member

Saturdays will be locked and loaded by September. Some of their shows take a little summer hiatus every year, or the number of new episodes that get scheduled to air are reduced.

Your questions:
    1) I don't know the exact reason, but back when Nick didn't treat the show badly, the show was repeating very well on Sundays, and it was already established. Plus TMNT-RI weren't compatible at all. So I guess one of the shows had to move.

2) I do think that's a small part of the problem, but the larger part is that Nick put a lot of the shows on hiatus so the programs that do air new episodes on Saturday's aren't enough to lift the whole day. I was hoping for a block where we have new episodes of FOP-SB-SJC-BW-RI, which would surely be ratings gold, but they like to nitpick and air each show's new episodes at a different date than the others.

3) Same thing as usual. Better promotion, and scheduling, but this isn't the first summer where the network has been in a slump, and they usually get their ratings back up in the Fall.

5. Trombone77

Trombone77 Member

I guess it is due to holding shows for the fall, but for the summer, don't they have enough episodes of FOP, SBSP, SaC (which is premiering now), and BW (which has been rerunning the same nine episodes for some reason) that they can make a Saturday morning block? Plus, adding LoK to the Saturday mix (although I know it is not part of its target demographic, which still doesn't make sense why they shun it) might cause some ratings boost. Also, couldn't making EWW a series that premieres episodes weekly on Saturday nights instead of daily make some ratings difference? Maybe my ideas aren't great, but it seems like Nick is trying to make weekdays its thing when it doesn't work all the time. I can understand game shows, but airing some of its flagship programming on weekdays seems like a waste when you could promote it on Saturdays and get higher ratings. I mean, look at FOP: I didn't expect that show to pull in such high ratings at such an early time slot, but it did. Does anyone know how the series is faring on weekdays? I checked the ratings thread yesterday and didn't see anything on it.

I'm hoping this fall Nick does capitalize more on their Saturday mornings and nights because looking at its programming choices now, it needs some cohesion to maintain its status and go beyond it. I have no problem with the Nicktoon lineup (except for BW, but that's for another time), but the night time lineup really worries me. Without SaC, the live-action lineup seems a little weak. I hope at least two of the new Nick series pull through or Nick might have a major problem on their hands.

6. J21697

J21697 Active Member

Yeah the FOP weekday ratings are bombing. It was a smart idea, but it just isn't working. Which is why I think the network should just move the remaining episodes to its regular time slot, 9:30am.

THH/TTM will bomb without SaC. Nick should just cancel them both and get it over with. Hopefully for Nick's sake Henry Danger becomes the network's flagship live action show.

7. rockorockorocko

Nick won't pull FOP because they are burning off the episodes. I honestly think they want to get rid of FOP ASAP - hence the 16 premieres and a movie.

8. Looney Tunes Fan

Looney Tunes Fan Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

THANK YOU! I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this right now. Considering there will only be 3 episodes left after this, I have a good feeling FOP will be done by the end of the year.

9. Trombone77

Trombone77 Member

Really? I didn't know that Nick wanted to get rid of FOP that much. I mean, I don't enjoy the later seasons as much as I did the previous seasons. Hopefully this means that Hartman will try to create a new show that targets both kids and families well and has a lot of care put into it.

As for the live-action ventures, I feel that THH and TTM were renewed way too soon. Their iMDB ratings are pretty low and their viewership depends either on SaC or some special event (e.g, Choose Your Ending event). While I know there are fans for the series, I honestly don't think Nick made the right choices of depending on those series. Or maybe they just needed more time to incubate. Either way, I would be worried if I were Nick. If HD, BatB, or NRDD don't stick, then they are going to need some very potent lead-ins and lead-outs to keep audiences hooked.

If Nick does its Saturday mornings well (promotion, sticking premieres together instead of separating them, no long hiatuses), they could be Nick's chance at not only gaining viewership, but cohesion. As for nights, Nick will need a miracle. I don't know what type of show Nick really needs: tween, mystery, drama, comedy, action. However, Nick might want to figure out soon and stop trying to make their humor too kiddy-like (or maybe that isn't the problem).

10. rockorockorocko

Good conversations here, but might be best to move the discussion to the Ratings and Schedules thread in the future. Trombone77, great thoughts and discussion! A bunch of the things you've brought up we've gone over many times, so you're on the right forum! Just some closing thoughts for me on some dangling posts:

1. Everything about this month-long FOP event leading up to the movie screams burn off to me. Especially since there's no renewal. Don't get me wrong, FOP IS important to the network and will rerun on Nick for a long time IMO. It may even get some a series finale (I really hope so), or some specials here and there. But you don't go through 2/3 of your season to "celebrate" a show, especially when they premiered seven full episodes prior to that over 8 months. Nick is clearly moving forward, with three more new Nicktoons and have a crowded hit Nicktoon lineup already. FOP/KFP will be done before the year is done. LoK is clearly being burnt off too. And well, Hartman has pitched a bunch of new shows to Nick, but they never picked them up. Hartman has had three toons on Nick and truthfully, his style is old and he's past his prime. SJC/BW is more of the norm now in hit toons.

2. EWW is a drama and WH is a game show, neither are made to be weekly. In fact, Nick only premieres its shows in spurts and because EWW is a drama, you can't keep the audience waiting for a couple weeks or more. It has to daily because you can't leave story lines in a drama dangling because an episode ends on "shocker" and picks up the following day. Versus the other live action shows with story lines that begin and end that episode. And as I said early, FOP is being burnt off, so it's different than EWW/WH in that regard.

3. Like I said as well as others, summer is a dead period on Nick and they are very strategic in what they premiere. Hence WH/EWW/FOP/LoK. It's new content, but not "important" programs to Nick right now. Well, maybe EWW is, but the others aren't. Notice the only shows that were "on schedule" this summer in its weekly slot has been TMNT in June and SJC in July. Those are the only shows IMO, that can put up decent numbers on their own. Granted, Nick has been/is in a bad ratings spot right now... but that's besides the point. They'll kick back into the SBSP-SJC-BW-RI-PR and whatever the live action lineups on Saturday, and TMNT/KFP on Sundays in the Fall, I can guarantee that.

And the reason why Fall (Q4 Oct-Dev) and Winter (Q1 Jan-March) is the most important quarters is because that's when it's cold/snowing outside, kids are indoors, there's more structure as kids come home from school and turn on the, TV which is more of an option than in the Q2 (Spring) and Q3 (Summer), when the weather is better and kids are out and about because of better weather and being out of school for summer.

11. J21697

J21697 Active Member

Trombone, it would be great if you add some of your awesome thoughts/comments to our schedule and ratings discussions. :)

12. Trombone77

Trombone77 Member

Okay, thanks guys. Just wondering, is there some way that I can link this to the ratings thread or do I just need to introduce the ideas and thoughts manually?

13. rockorockorocko

Best thing to do is begin posting on the schedule and ratings thread in the future when you want to discuss aspects about it. You'll have fun here, everyone's more or less on the same page!