Why doesn't DC animation turn to another cable channel or outlet?

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by ALC24/7, Mar 10, 2014.

1. ALC24/7

ALC24/7 New Member

It seem to me that we keep getting the same old song and story from CN network. Never mind the fact that young and older adults look at these animation series. The fact remains that they only want to cater to jody and tiny tots crowd.
    It a shame that good shows have came and been kill because they constantly find away to do away with them. So i ask this question why doesnt DC end there contract with CN network? Go find another network that will allow there programming a chance to survive and grow.
    It apparent that CN doesnt want to be bother anymore. Every animation series that has came out they find fault with it. Proceed to kill it no matter if series has fan support. They just do it in and that has to hurt the creative side of the shows.
    CN has decide to dummy down to the younger viewers and hitch there wagon to next dumb show. It time DC make a choice either look around find network or be left with out a paddle to go up stream.

2. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that they're owned by the same parent company: Time Warner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. So they're gonna want the profits from their franchises to go back to them, not to another network.

3. CyberCubed

CyberCubed New Member

Cartoon Network and DC are owned by the same company.

4. ALC24/7

ALC24/7 New Member

I had no ideal that these companies were under same management. But it still dosent make sense to have a epic collection of worlds greatest super heroes and not allow them to shine. It just seem there should be away to do this. Not to long ago you had the saturday night block. 1 Static Shock 2 Batman Beyond 3 Superman and Batman animated series along with Justice League/JLU. Then once again the experts at CN destroy that lineup as well. A very good DC block of shows it just seem that cartoon Network doesnt stick with good quality shows. They tend to stick with dumb down shows or kiddy shows.
    It ashamed that beware of the batman was cut short after 10 shows. We the fans were left twisting in the wind when they knew that the show wouldnt appear on there network again. Then they come out with new cartoon lineup and beware of the batman is ghost. Again another one bite the dusk. So that is why it would be better off for super heroes fan if there was another cable channel willing to show these shows. And allow DC writers to create new ones.

5. Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk New Member

DC needs to move to the CW. Either the Saturday morning block, or more preferably, an evening timeslot. Back in the day, Fox aired Batman TAS in primetime. Comic book characters are bigger than ever, and coming now after the success of the Nolan films, a show like Beware the Batman could find an audience in prime time that will not find it on Saturday mornings. The CW already has Arrow, and the Flash is coming soon. Why not one night a week, play BtB and Green Lantern or Young Justice back to back. These shows are written well enough. Get people invested in these characters, and their movies will do better, toys will sell better, etc. CN is done with DC, so it's time to move on, and if DC really wants to get their characters out there in the public eye, I just told you how to do it.

6. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier DISGRACEULLY Beating People Up

Yeah, DC should just walk away from CN and never look back, but in dsgust, at this point - hopefully then, their shows will last much, much longer. After all, we all still need GOOD superhero shows. That... is something that should never die!

7. Robert McSantos

Robert McSantos New Member

We don't know the details of the exact relationship between Cartoon Network and Warner Brothers Animation, and we likely never will. However, it is reasonable to assume that it fits into one of these three broad categories:

1. Exclusivity

WBA is only allowed to pitch their series to CN, and if CN refuses then the series cannot be pitched to other cable channels and must be scrapped.

While this model might sound the worst for WBA, keep in mind that it is not necessarily so. Many at Time Warner have a vested interest in keeping the WB icons (including DC Comics superheroes) in the public eye, which would somewhat obligate CN to pick up every series that WBA pitches to them. Indeed, if CN does have an exclusive relationship with WBA, and Stu Snyder has been refusing to play ball in that regard, that decision may have contributed to the corporate pressure that has cost him his position.

2. Right of First Refusal

WBA must always pitch their series to CN first, but if CN doesn't pick it up, then WBA is free to shop around and pitch the series to any cable channel they want.

This could be advantageous to CN's rivals. Disney, for example, might see an opportunity to monopolize animated superhero television, much like Kids' WB did in the past. Or the Hub, having found some success in airing reruns of older DC Comics inspired content, might be willing to gamble on a new series.

But CN would be incentivized to not allow this. A rival channel snagging famous WB characters would be a publicly embarrassing show of weakness for Time Warner, especially after CN just launched a new "block" ostensibly dedicated to DC Comics properties. The likely outcome would be exactly what we've been seeing for the past few years, namely CN buying a WBA show purely out of obligation, then quietly sweeping it under the rug due to an absolute lack of confidence. In the end, it would probably end up with the same contentious corporate environment described above.

3. Professional Courtesy

WBA is not actually obligated to pitch any series to CN at all, and has merely always done so due to the good relations that they've shared in the past.

This is the corporate equivalent of the honor system, and requires a good deal of trust on both sides. The problem is that the whole concept assumes every party involved has each others' best interests at heart. I think most of us would agree that CN's handling of DC Nation has indicated this is not the case. However, change can be slow when you're dealing with business at this scale, and it may take some time before the breakdown in relations between WBA and CN can have any noticeable effects from the perspective of us, the viewers.

Everyone wants to work together to make money, of course, but different parts of Time Warner will have different opinions on who should be making how much money off of who, and in what ways. As much as we might like to simplify it, these situations can often be very complex.

8. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

I had a semi-similar thread to this, (not trying to plug my thread or anything, just saying I understand how the op feels.) http://www.toonzone.net/forums/dc-animation-forum/312969-question-about-dcau-shows-re-airing-cn.html
    My thread is about DC and CN as well but is more about what I thought CN should/could do with past DC shows and whatnot. But I forget TW isn't logical and there is a lot of legal jumbo jumbo they deal with I guess, (which I still don't get if the shows and networks in question are already theirs... But "meh") lol.
    It just almost seems like Time Warner doesn't really care about what their networks are doing to each other.
    I think of it like: Time Warner is the parent, and they just watch their children (CN, DC, WB, WBA, CW, and etc.) cry, fight, or break each other's toys, lol. Time Warner needs to discipline their kids... By getting them on the same page. lol.
    But seriously, if TW/CN/WB want to be bigger and get more ratings (money) than the "other guys," they really need to step it up and better unify and align all their networks and properties somehow. One way is to have more than one DC show, (and a pretty "meh" one at that.) But also have CN better manage the shows they have and will get.... or maybe do re-runs of shows they can still control or something. Ha ha! ;)
    I don't know what I am saying anymore, I am tired and losing my train of thought, (or I made no sense in the first place so I now am just confused, lol.)

Anyhoo, sorry, my rambly nonsensical post is over... carry on everyone! ;) :)

D.

9. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

Actually, a lot of young adults weren't watching those shows because they were airing on Saturday mornings (at time when many older teens and adults prefer to sleep in) with no encores, and they were sandwiched between reruns and were barely promoted, so they didn't knew when the DC shows were on. That's part of why they didn't last long.

Incorrect. Warner Brothers owns DC, while Turner Broadcasting owns Cartoon Network. WB works with Turner for the Turner/Time Warner corporation, but WB neither owns nor runs CN. Turner acquires the WB and DC animated shows and they have to contract and pay for them, just like everybody else.

10. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Member

So that means DC and WB can pack their load and move to another network

11. Ed Liu

Ed Liu Grumpy Gorilla

Even if this were feasible, where would they go? Disney is a non-starter now that they own Marvel. Nickelodeon seems to be the company with the most action animation on the air regularly between Legend of Korra and TMNT, but Viacom isn't about to play nice or add to the profits of Warner Bros. They'd rather keep all that money in house. If you think "comedy only" is pervasive at Cartoon Network, it's nothing compared to Fox, and all those animated comedies are aimed squarely at the adult audience. The Hub is a possibility, but they don't have anywhere near the market penetration of CN yet and I'm not sure that Hasbro/Discovery won't go the same route as Nickelodeon to say "let's keep it in house." It's one thing to license older DC shows to fill time on an otherwise under-programmed network. It's another thing entirely to fund and air new programming.

So that leaves a network like the CW, which is still at least partially owned by Time-Warner and leaves you right back in the same corporate dysfunction they had with CN, except that you get even lower ratings.

I understand the frustration but the proposal to move to another network is a non-starter. I don't see any viable home for new DC superhero animated shows in the current environment on TV. If anything, I'd say they'd do better aiming at the original production route for Netflix or Amazon Prime or Hulu or one of the other streaming services.

12. reflection

reflection Active Member

DC needs to broker a deal with Netflix.

13. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

Which other network? Disney isn't an option now that they own Marvel. FOX doesn't have a SatAM lineup anymore and they wouldn't air any DC action cartoons in prime time because they're only interested in animated sitcoms about families. The only 2 networks that seem like possibilities are Nickelodeon and The Hub, but Viacom isn't likely to play ball with Warner Brothers. Like Ed already said, they prefer to keep their profits in-house.

14. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

That won't happen. CN has said Netflix caused their ratings to drop, so they'd never let them get it. Also, Netflix is in bed with Disney/Marvel, producing a number of original Marvel series, so there is the possibility they aren't able to play both sides and get a WB/DC production.

There's always the possibility that WBA produces a smaller show for Cartoon Network's new "always on" programming (it's not just going to be for small clips since they are debuting a few new series on it), but nothing was announced with the new content announcement yesterday. There's also the extremely-unlikely possibility that they have an exclusive for WB's Netflix-like service since there were supposed to be plans for newer content eventually, but that also seems unlikely due to low penetration/lack of market for kids.

15. The ShopSoldier

So, what? DC goes belly - up, eventually?! There's clearly no saving them at this point. Especially if CN won't let them make real action shows we can all be proud of...

The Hub may just be DC action cartoons' only hope at this point if they can't branch out elsewhere (like off TV.).

16. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Belly up how? It's not in fiscal trouble just because some cartoons aren't being made. It's a massive licensing company with thousands of characters waiting or currently being exploited in other media. CW is raking in the ratings with Arrow and has a Flash spin-off series coming, FOX has a Gotham-based series coming next season, NBC is putting together a Constantine/Hellblazer series, a new Superman (with a ton of other DC characters in it, even though it isn't Justice League) is coming, they have a hit video game with Injustice, they have a home video line that is still doing well enough that they're able to sustain multiple animated features in a year now.

Don't worry, it's not like DC is turning into the Hunger Games :p

17. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

Actually, Fox only ran Batman: The Animated Series in prime time as a showcase for one or two weeks in order to call attention to the fact it'd be airing in the daytime (Saturdays/weekday afternoons). Did the same thing with Spider-Man a couple of years later. However, I do see your point. CW is not going to do a night-time cartoon block, because that's not their business model. However, what's to stop WB from marketing DC Nation as a syndicated block for weekend consumption, since CN crapped on it?

18. Toddman

Toddman Hulk not good with words.

Just to clarify, while Fox did run "On Leather Wings" the Sunday night before the "official" launch of the series schedule for weekday afternoons - - BTAS had a steady primetime slot for about three months in the winter of the 1992-93 TV schedule.

It got clobbered by 60 Minutes.

Toddman

19. The ShopSoldier

They could use a good cartoon or 2 to keep up the momentum - Then again, you're right. Either way, I just don't want to see them lacking so dam much in the animation department (At least they're making some good animated films for the DVD market...).

IMHO, they should be clobbering Marvel in regards to animation (who deserve to be for their inferior animated products!), despite their recent criticisms in comics...

20. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator

Prime time CW is highly unlikely, and the Vortexx could easily have content concerns. That is what I believe happened to Power Rangers Lost Galaxy, and any new DC cartoon would probably face similar restrictions.

There were episodes of Tiny Toon Adventures that featured appearances by Batman and Superman. That was way back in the early 1990s. Time Warner has owned DC Comics for decades.

There is one huge area that those Marvel animated shows have more of a presence than DC ones: licensed merchandise. Walk into any retailer, and you're far more likely to find an Ultimate Spider-man or Marvel's Avengers Assemble product than a DC Animation one. Sometimes it's hard to believe that the company that has had decades of ownership of superheroes is having a more difficult time selling licensed merchandise to retailers than the company that's owned its comic book company for less than five years.