1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does (almost) everyone hate Loonatics Unleashed?

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by dth1971, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Why do you think (almost) all Warner Bros./Looney Tunes fans hate Loonatics Unleashed though it lasted 2 seasons on Kids WB (during the last year of the WB Network in 2005-2006 and the first year of the CW Network in 2006-2007) from 2005-2007 and featured future decendants of the Looney Tunes in superhero form? Was it the worst series Warner Bros. ever made? All the episodes from 2 seasons have made it to DVD.

2. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Most people view Loonatics Unleashed as an insult to the Looney Tunes franchise because it was more or less manufactured for the purposes of being "cool and edgy", and also because it placed the Looney Tunes characters (technically their descendants, but you get my meaning) in an action/superhero genre setting, which the LT characters weren't exactly tailor made for.

My personal feelings are that LU might have worked if: a) they had done it as a straight comedy, i.e. a spoof of the superhero genre, as comedy is where the Looney Tunes flourish, or b) they had just released the show as its' own thing with an original cast and not used Looney Tunes-esque characters in it at all. Nobody associates Bugs, Daffy, Taz et al with suerphero action with an anime look to it.

I myself could take or leave the show overall, but I did like the costumes and some of the powers.

3. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I never saw enough of it to hate it and I never saw anything in it that would make me care to sit through it.

4. Philmister978

Philmister978 Alvight, you vin

Same reason as to why people hate Akom's animation. It's borring, horrible and hard to sit through without keeping a straight face.

5. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

I think that a lot of people disliked how these super powered, strangely designed version of the Looney Tunes characters were thrown onto the TV screen and introduced as "The next generation of Looney Tunes", as if there was something wrong with the 1st one.

Also, the story telling style of Loonatics Unleashed presented category placement trouble; it wasn't funny enough to be a comedy, not action oriented enough to be an action show. What was it?

6. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Weren't Tiny Toons and Animaniacs leaning to be "the next generation of Looney Tunes" as well?

7. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

If they were, Tiny Toons and Animaniacs were both straight forward comedy shorts/skits following in the tradition of the originals, so that title was more easily accepted by viewers. Furthermore, it was made abundantly clear on both TTA and A! that the newer toons were not meant to replace their predecessors, but rather were just following in their tradition.

8. historywiz

historywiz New Member

9. launchpad20

launchpad20 Active Member

If 'Loonatics Unleashed' was just a short that satirizes the kind of 'committee thinking' that wants to 'freshen' up the 'Looney Tunes' franchise by making it 'hip, and edgy', then I would've been fine with that since 'Looney Tunes' is known for poking fun at pop culture, and studio thinking. However, as a straight up action series, it betrays the essence of 'Looney Tunes', and becomes the very thing that it's suppose to mock, and satirize. :shame:

10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think that was my problem with the series. With the way they presented it, I didn't think that it worked as either a comedy or an action series or a combination of the two. I didn't mind too much that these were suppose to be the new generation of Looney Tunes, although I can understand why that bothered a lot of other people, but the new characters also didn't seem that interesting to me either.

I believe that I only saw the first season and a few episodes from the second season. I wouldn't say that I hated it, but it didn't leave much of an impression on me with the dull characters and trouble with placing it in a category that you already mentioned.

11. FFmax

FFmax Pangoro's Bizarre Adventure

I personally had no problem with the show, while it wasn't anything spectacular it was fun to watch on saturday mornings.

12. Superpan

Superpan Member

The first season was awful, and while the second season was okay, and went more back to it's roots, it never reached the entertainment value in a show like The Batman, and when you look at how rarely that's brought up...it shows how small of an impact it had.

I personally think it suffered in my eyes because it was around the same time of Duck Dodgers and I had the golden collections, so for me it was like a minor blip. I liked the second season though.

13. Six Year Man

Six Year Man Member

Because it's a cheap use of beloved timeless characters.

14. Matthew Williams

Matthew Williams Owns A Homey The Clown Shirt

Given that I helped name Loonatics the number two worst cartoon of the decade in our blog feature last year, and that the process unfortunately involved having to actually watch the godforsaken thing, I figure I should chime in.

Loonatics has its reputation because it's really the Poochie mentality at work - take an older, established property and add an unnecessary element to make it hip, edgy, and "kewl" to attract younger kids. The problem is that it comes off as pandering if done wrong, and Loonatics certainly came across as pandering.

Warner's marketing didn't help things. They didn't know how to market it - the next generation of Looney Tunes? New characters "inspired" by the Looney Tunes? Something that if you squint kind of looks like a Looney Tunes character? Not to mention that they took the unprecedented step of softening the designs after the original pitch was unveiled to the public and making a big deal about that. For something that they billed as "the next generation of Looney Tunes", they sure didn't seem to have a lot of confidence in it.

But I think the main problem is this - Loonatics Unleashed was simply a bad show. The first season was extremely bland, uninspired anime-style superhero action with just a hint of Looney-ness around the edges - probably the right amount of Looney, I think, to put in a show like this.

The second season, though, was an unmitigated disaster because they decided to make it more Looney - the absolute worst possible direction they could have gone. Not only did this produce the absolute worst cartoon opening I have ever seen in my life, it also produced plotlines that made no sense, like the Loonatics having to defend the royal Tweetums from a band of hair rockers who managed to power-chord their way into the Merrie Melodie Galaxy.

I think this was a painful mistake for Warners that they seem to be learning their lesson from. If you look at the Looney Tunes Show, they seem to be far more consistent and involved with the marketing than they ever were with Loonatics. And, if the reports of them using Loonatics as a "how not to do it" blueprint are correct, then they made the right call.

15. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

It would have been great to see a "Loonatics Unleased"/"Batman Beyond" team up or a "Loonatics Unleashed"/"Legion of Super Heroes" team up.

16. firefoxprime

firefoxprime 90s = Golden Years

I'm flexible. I found this series entertaining. I also grew up with ol'skool CN, so I'm well seasoned to Acme toons.

Oh man....I found 80% of that show entertaining, but that's a can of worms right there.

17. Craig Crumpton

Craig Crumpton This is a close-up?

I didn't "hate" Loonatics either. I just never bothered to watch it because my Looney Tunes-lovin' gut instinct told me I wouldn't like it.

As an animation fan who has tolerated a lot of mostly unwatchable cartoon crap in his lifetime, it's rare that I'll completely dismiss a series without watching it, but I knew Loonatics wasn't made for me anyway.

It's like the quarter in the toilet joke: you know it's there, but it doesn't necessarily mean you want to pick it up.

18. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Don't see how either of those could happen outside of fanfic.

Aside from the obvious fact that Batman Beyond ended its' network run in 2001, a considerable time before Loonatics Unleashed debuted, you'd also have to take into account that all 3 shows took place in different time periods (LU was set in 2772, after BB's timeline and before LoSH's) and that anthros aren't a common sight in the DC Universe save for Kamandi's timeline, Detective Chimp and Gorilla Grodd. (I suppose it could be speculated that the Loonatics were from Earth C Minus, the home of Captain Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew, but the presence of humans on Loonatics throws that hypothesis into doubt.)

19. launchpad20

launchpad20 Active Member

Not even that would get me to watch an episode of 'Loonatics Unleashed'. :ack:

20. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

And was some pre-production Loonatics characters drawn in a scary style but thanks to a complaint from someone they softened up the Loonatics characters and even renamed Buzz Bunny to Ace Bunny?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.