1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does Adult Swim start at 8:00pm now?

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by HunterMon17, Jul 19, 2017.

1. HunterMon17

HunterMon17 Member

Adult Swim starts at 8:00 now. There's a few things wrong with this. 1) Kids are still watching TV after 8:00, 2) The premieres are now airing from 6-8pm, when kids are showering/eating dinner, 3) The 8-11pm slots are filled with nothing but Fox reruns that they repeat later in the night anyway, 4) They don't have enough shows to fill the whole schedule (look at number 3 if you want to know what I'm talking about), 5) Time zones make it so that AS starts even earlier in other places, including 5 p.m. here in Hawaii where I live (or 6:00 when it's not DST). Why don't they start the block at 10 or 11pm like they used to? Especially since the shows that air earlier in the night get repeated later on anyway. Also, we don't need little kids watching TV during the evening and seeing Adult Swim shows. I also posted this in the CN thread.

2. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

For the sake of Cartoon Network I don't really question this much, afterall CN what would happen with more time I think the schedule would have the same issues.

3. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

They wanted to give the Fox shows more slots, thus leading to higher ratings.
    Also, they want to compete with Nick-at-Nite. AS is nearly as long as N@N nowadays.

4. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Remind me, when does "Nick" switch over to "Nick-at-Nite?" And how long has it been that way for Nick/Nick-at-Nite?

Because admittedly, we never complain about Nick switching over to Nick-at-Nite...

And I never thought of it before now, but that's exactly what Cartoon Network did - they're trying to copy Nick-at-Nite.

Everybody agrees that Cartoon Network from 2008-2010 was trying to copy Nick/Disney with more live-action shows, and most people agree that was a bad thing, so with Cartoon Network trying to copy Nick-at-Nite since (at least) 2014, why is that a good thing?

5. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

While I do agree 8pm is too early, at least it's a gentle transition - King of the Hill is relatively tame and perhaps deliberately placed first to bore a child into changing the channel. Dragon Ball Super (the first show on Saturday night) is also pretty tame.

6. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

1. N@N launched around 1985 or so.
    2. The [adult swim] crew still answers to idiots like Rob Sorcher, who, despite Christina Miller being in charge of CN proper's programming, still has his imprint on the network.

7. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

In 2005 Nick@Nite has celebrated 20th anniversary airing classic shows, but this time for 30th anniversary, not once did nick at nite on tv air mentions at all, that block has no purpose and will end soon.

8. Daikun

There's no definitive set time, but 9PM tends to be when N@N starts. There might be exceptional days where they start a bit later or earlier. N@N pretty consistently ends at 7AM.

N@N launched in 1985, and it ran from 8PM-6AM, much like Adult Swim now. It only expanded to 7AM in 2009.

9. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Well, besides Nick-at-Nite being over 30 years old at this point (so a lot of us have no recollection of a time before Nick-at-Nite, and those of us that would probably weren't watching Nickelodeon in the early 80's anyways), there's largely no difference between Nickelodeon and Nick-at-Nite these days. Back in the old days of Nick-at-Nite, there was a real identity to the block's packaging that made it distinct from the daytime hours, but now there really isn't beyond "here's a different logo and we air older sitcoms". I think I've even seen Spongebob airing with the Nick-at-Nite logo once (as part of an all-day marathon), which really shows how little distinction there is between the two now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ZZenigundam

ZZenigundam Member

Back in my day, Adult Swim only aired on Sat/Sun from 11-2, and it was two blocks with their own identities, not a homogenized, generic, network entity. Please cancel Toonami and make anime on TV great again.

11. Daikun

Too bad.

12. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

"In my day things were exactly how I wanted them and nothing ever changed!"

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Cartoon Network is pretty much a wasteland at this point anyway. It's just wall to wall TTG.

14. TheDaveMaybe

TheDaveMaybe Film buff, film critic, and aspiring filmmaker

While I agree 8PM is a tad early to start airing adult shows on a children's network, Cartoon Network obviously felt they werent doing well enough in the ratings during the 8-9PM hour to warrant airing in that timeslot, otherwise, they wouldn't have felt the need to give the time to Adult Swim. Besides, while Cartoon Network's schedule is abysmal nowadays, Adult Swim is worth watching, so I'm not complaining.

15. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Obviously the glut of acquired long running FOX Programming has made AS expanding it's time slots longer then ever originally intended. King of the Hill coming in 2009 cinched the 9PM hour and only a couple of years later once AS started doubling up every single FOX show they had due to strong ratings it allowed them to keep that stranghole of that section. And don't expect that to change any time soon. Even ignoring regular CN's poor scheduling, Family Guy and American Dad ON AS still do solid ratings and obviously Bob's Burgers has also become a weekday staple. And King of the Hill if it really does get a relaunch will also get maybe an even bigger surge in it's reruns. Really what you shouldn't be worried about is the past and the present of AS's schedule but future possibilites. Since again AS has said a few times they are hoping to acquire the Simpsons. As of right now as long as the show is going and they have a deal with FXX that won't happen but once the Simpsons ends (whenever that is) and goes into full syndication rights are a different issue. And if AS ever gets those rerun rights expect them to take the 7 and perhaps 6 PM hours just to start rerunning the Simpsons. And considering how little variety there is in CN's programming unless they step up to show they have a more worthwhile schedule, what would stop AS from just taking over those hours with such a long running and well revered show under they're line up? Again this is a hypocritical what if I've talked about before but it is still an issue to be concerned about even if it may be years off/hopefully never from happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TheDaveMaybe

TheDaveMaybe Film buff, film critic, and aspiring filmmaker

Cartoon Network would never air Adult Swim at 6PM. The outrage from parents groups would be too great. The only other possible timeslot that Adult Swim could pick up is 6AM, which I'm certain will happen in the next few years, but that's it.

17. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

If Adult Swim ever get any more hours it really wouldn't need it considering how they mainly replay their shows which aren't entirely necessary to get more airtime.