1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you suppose video games don't make good movies?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by defunctzombie, Jan 8, 2017.

1. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Even though such a thread may make more sense in the Entertainment Board, I'm making this here to get the VG perspective. Assassin's Creed didn't do so well. Resident Evil is really in name only, and Suoer Mario and Street Fighter are so bad they're classic camp fics. So what's your opinions on why Hollywood can't nail it down?

Personally, I think a lot of these movies get too far away from what the game is, especially when they cast someone who is clearly not even close to the spirit of the character they're meant to be, or they introduce an OC. Like, the only Resident Evil movie I could stand was the one that had Jill in the RE3 scenario.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

A problem that most of them have is they never really stick to the Video Games identity rather they usually sum up the game in a couple of hours and just remove some of the bulk of the game and try altering events, that is just something I usually see.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I think the feel of video games aren't nicely translated to screen. With a video game, you are in control (generally speaking). With a movie, you're watching something happen, so even if the game's story is adapted well (if it has a proper story), it might not be enough to capture the spirit of the games in a film. That being said, I do hope future movies like the Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Detective Pikachu, and Sonic the Hedgehog movies on the way, find success that many others haven't. Maybe focusing on telling a great story based on the property will work better.

Of course, we have Wreck-It Ralph and it's upcoming sequel, but that's a little different. :p

4. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

because they always get writers & producers who have NEVER played the game they are adapting which creates a disconnect between the movie & fans of the game series!

(not to mention like it was said games are hard to correctly adapt into movies since they are player-driven compared to a movie which is non-interactive)

this is why hollywood has had more success with adapting books & TV shows to movies!

the solution is to get people who ACTUALLY worked on the game to write the story, compose the music, do the voice-acting (if the movie is animated) , etc

THAT'S how you fix the problem with video game movies!

(or it might be better for hollywood to continue adapting books or TV shows into movies & stop adapting games...)

EDIT: i just realized something:

the problem is with america's adaptations of video games!

notice that most of the failed adaptations are games of japanese origin?

japanese adaptations are more true to the source material

this only reinforces the fact that the problem is specifically with american adaptations!

what i am saying is...

if hollywood wants to continue doing game-to-movie adaptations they should ONLY adapt american-made games to movies!

let japan & europe handle their own stuff

that means NO american-made movies for mario, zelda, kirby, pokémon, sonic, resident evil, etc!

(or in the case of mario & resident evil, no more)

#4 Mikurotoro92, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017