1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

Why do people single out this network's schedule in particular?

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by Toon4Thought, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

One of the biggest complaints I've seen towards Cartoon Network lately is how much they overplay Teen Titans Go. And yeah, I agree that they definitely play that more than they probably should, but the truth of the matter is, there are few cable networks nowadays that don't spam one or two shows like that. They are far from alone on that front. So why is it I hear so much more people target this particular network in terms of this issue compared to many others? Is it because it's TTG specifically, a show that so many people hate with a burning passion? I don't know, I get a strong impression that if Steven Universe was shown just as often nobody would complain about that.

And for the record, I still think their increased reliance on the app makes this issue far less troublesome than everyone makes it seem.

2. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Let me show you my degree!

I think it's the spamming of TTG combined with the lack of reruns from more well-liked cartoons (AT, RS, SU, etc.) as to why people call out Cartoon Network's scheduling in particular (with some going as far as to say that CN hates those shows for some reason). Back in the day, Johnny Test was spammed a lot, but since the more well-liked cartoons were given decent reruns, people weren't as bothered by the scheduling back then.

While free streaming on the app and website is handy, it seems that some people want to have better scheduling along with the free streaming as a win-win situation.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Cartoon Network isn't the only channel to get complaints about spamming a show. Nickelodeon has spammed Spongebob for such a long time, even despite people liking that show. It still gets complaints. And people complained about Johnny Test being spammed, but like Gatordragon said, more well liked cartoons were given decent reruns during that time, so the complaints weren't as much.

4. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

All I know is that if they spammed ANY show I actually like (AT, RS, WBB, Clarence, Magiswords, Gumball, SU (even though I'm losing interest in this one...)), I'd still be saddened, if not angered, at the lack of variety.

With shows I don't care for like TTG!, it's just a damn shame. No other country does this, either, which only makes us look worse.

I don't care whose favorite show what is - don't spam the schedule with it, please. You're neglecting what other people like besides THAT, which is dangerous in the long run. It is also why CN is in such dire straits going into 2017 (and beyond) - which I feel is FACT.

5. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Rolling Bubbles!

Yeah, Cartoon Network isn't the only network that gets schedule complaints, but from what I've seen, it does seem to be the worst, probably because of how much people hate Teen Titans Go.

6. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky "BLATHERING BLATHERSKITE!"

Given their extremely huge library of old AND new cartoons, there is hardly any excuse (I did say "hardly any"; I know how popular TTG is, but still....).

7. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

You are right that many networks spam many shows these days and it has become sadly the comfortable norm.

But the problem with Cartoon Network is the fact they own an archive with literally hundreds of shows worth of thousands of hours from the past 50+ years. They are in a unique position and could play literally anything and it would cost them next to nothing, save for a few titles, yet they don't. The majority of the archive is locked and only a select mainstream portion of their library is available through a service on demand without all of these shows being at least aired elsewhere, offered online for streaming or available (afaik) in retail for easier access.

You thus can't really blame people for complaining.
    Yes, people hate Teen Titans Go, but it's more of the fact that it's overplayed rather than the quality of the show itself. It not being a very good show contributes to it, but isn't the main factor. Similarly to when CN overplayed Johnny Test. And it doesn't really matter what would CN air in those slots instead. It could be anything else they haven't played for a while. I would take even live action for variety sake to tell you the truth. Anything, but Teen Titans Go.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. JPReckless2444

It's simple.

No matter how many people hates TTG, the show is a financial success. The real reason it gets spammed alot on the schedule. CN is just another corporation that's following the money. They did it with AT & RS.

For fans, like me, the problem is that have a bunch of new cartoons out there now, but not giving them the same treatment TTG gets. We Bare Bears and Mighty Magiswords are good shows that deserves more exposure.

As much as I crap on Nick for spamming the Sponge themselves, at least it seems they see the magic that Loud House is getting and giving that show more exposure. CN needs to do the same.

Like I said before, TTG will not save them forever.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Toon4Thought

I can see where you are both coming from, but I'd argue that streaming-based services were nowhere near as prominent in that time, and there was certainly far less of a selection then. Meaning if anything we're better off now compared to the Johnny Test era.

And it's not like most of these newer shows are getting awful treatment. They tend to get plenty of exposure everywhere else, and they still perform decently well all things considered. Keep in mind the network is starting to rely more on their website and app rather than just the live feed, something that I am amazed people keep forgetting about.

As for everyone bringing up the lack of older content... well, yeah that does seem like a much more reasonable argument that I'd agree with. But CN isn't quite alone on that either; just look at Disney's TV cartoons.

#9 Toon4Thought, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  10. JPReckless2444

I see where you coming from. I say this, even if they're relying on online services, they are still TV network. These newer shows I mentioned might be doing wonders internationally.

Keep this mind though, if people are complaining about the TV schedule, why should go online to their site or app and expect anything different? You have to have a good product on TV to get viewers wanting more, thus going to the sites and downloading the app.

I'm not hating on the show, but it gets overplayed. Even for those who are fans of the show, they could get tired of seeing it everyday and tune out. I love banana pudding, but if I eat it everyday, I'll start to hate it.

I will also argue that during the Johnny Test era, they still gave AT, RS, Gumball, and other shows decent amount of exposure.

As far as the older content, I agree 100%. Some people need to let it go & stop thinking that would solve the problem. Old CN shows will not draw the ratings it used to get, but do I think CN needs to go back to their old ways of running the network? YES

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

My issue with Teen Titans Go is that they're showing it on days they really don't have to. What I mean is that Regular Show's season finale is coming up. Instead of dedicating a marathon of said show prior to it's finale for an entire weekend like they did with Teen Titans Go the weekend after Thanksgiving day last year, they're just planning on playing TTG reruns prior to Regular Show's finale on MLK weekend. Yes, Teen Titans Go is popular, but sometimes they gotta learn to set aside TTG reruns because it's to the point that even Mighty Magicswords and We Bare Bears are even getting overshadowed a bit by it too. I mean, at least Nick eased up on the SpongeBob reruns lately and starting to air Loud House a lot more, but CN can't even do that in 2017. It feels like 2015 and 2016 all over again so far this year with the scheduling. Even the people who like Teen Titans GO are getting tired of it's oversaturation too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Let me show you my degree!

Well, the prime difference is that online streaming is not subject to a schedule like TV is. Instead of having to wait for a rerun of a show you want to watch, with online streaming, you can simply click on the show you want and watch episodes with no wait. Just look at how people binge watch shows on Netflix, for example (Heck, I sometimes binge watch on the CN app).

• Agree Agree x 1
    #12 Gatordragon, Jan 11, 2017
  13. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Rolling Bubbles!

I don't disagree with you, but I think the only reason Nick airs The Loud House as much as they do is because it's been doing better than SpongeBob.

14. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

Sounds like a side effect of viewers losing interest in SpongeBob (somewhat).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Toon4Thought

This much I definitely agree with you, as it's basically why whenever I binge-watch I typically only see 3-5 episodes at a time; after a while, I want to see or do something different as too much can reach overkill levels for me. It's just that people often act like they are forced to concede with and suffer through the endless TTG reruns, when that is far from true.

The thing about the app is that the over-saturation issues are borderline nonexistent on there. Most of the shows that don't see much exposure on the lineup have a good amount of material available there. Why wake up at 6:30am to watch Sonic Boom when you can simply choose when to watch it later? I'm not trying to argue that it automatically makes the live schedule okay - I just don't think it's as big of a deal as people are making it seem. Not to mention more people are using the internet than television in general nowadays.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. JPReckless2444

Absolutely!

I personally think that they're still some people that might not have internet, strong wi-fi or some connection, phones or tablets to be able to watch it anytime and just have TV to entertain them. There is DVR & On Demand, but some people might not want to pay extra for that

17. Toon4Thought

Mm-hmm, I did not think of that TBH. Now in those cases, I can see it being more of a problem. However, from what I know that number does seem to be diminishing; if anything, more people are getting the internet without the TV now. But it is still a thing.

I don't know, maybe as someone who almost never watches live TV anymore (except a major network every now and then), I just find myself getting annoyed whenever people groan about TTG marathons, much more so than the lineups themselves. The spamming is bothersome, sure, but if you're here than that means you should still be able to watch what you want. Why are some even following the live feed anyway if they're just going to get annoyed by it?

It really doesn't help that this network seems to be targeted more than most other examples that come to mind. I do still think the bias against TTG does at least play some role in that, and it seems to work the other way around too.

#17 Toon4Thought, Jan 11, 2017
  18. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Hypocrisy. People only complain about CN's schedule because they don't like Teen Titans Go!. People like The Loud House, SpongeBob, and Gravity Falls, so the people who complain about Cartoon Network always airing TTG never complains when Nickelodeon, and Disney XD spams those shows.

Heck, when CN had a Gumball marathon, this one Facebook page was really happy that they were showing it non-stop. The same page to complained when they had a Teen Titans Go! marathon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Toon4Thought

Also, around the time Spongebob being spammed became an issue to most people, it was around the point it became hip to hate newer episodes of that show - not unlike TTG now.

20. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

How is it hypocrisy? people complained about Spongebob as well. It's one of the biggest complaints about Nickelodeon. Loud House while popular hasn't been spammed and Gravity Falls hasn't been spammed at such a level as TTG and SBSP.

• Agree Agree x 2