1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do most animated movies look the same?

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by TheMisterManGuy, Aug 9, 2017.

1. TheMisterManGuy

TheMisterManGuy Active Member

On TV and the Web, animation comes in a rainbow spectrum of visual styles, design principles, and aesthetics that one work or show could look radically different from the next. But in film, that's rarely the case. Once in a while, you'll get a stop-motion film, an indie flick, or something like Captain Underpants. But the vast majority of the time, Theatrical animation is all cut from the same DreamWorks (or in the 90s case, Disney) dough, resulting in the majority of animated films looking almost identical to each-other, exemplified by the domination of CGI. Now I get it, it's Hollywood, it has a clear follow the leader mentality, and studios typically chase whatever is proven and tested, and they're much more risk-averse than TV or the Web. Still, it would be nice for films to have a little more variety in their visuals, instead of just seeing the same carbon-copy DreamWorks/Pixar visuals over, and over again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

It could be a preferred animation style. I think that some movies do this because they are preferred in a certain style. Sure there could be similarities but some things are kept different to not look way too similar.

3. lillappy

lillappy New Member

There aren't many original CGI cartoons being produced by big studios nowadays (2016-17) to begin with. Most of them, it feels, get away with cheaper production by reusing old models and scripts in sequels (Illumination, even Pixar).

There are also styles, yes. Disney Animation is rather distinct from Pixar, CGI or not. [Un]fortunately, they take their time, and meanwhile we're stuck watching The Emoji Movie.

Just kidding. I'm kinda excited for The Breadwinner, the trailer looks absolutely gorgeous, though it is oriented toward more mature audience. I guess that might the key. Younger audiences are probably fine with watching another reinstatement of slapstick in shiny CGI.

4. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I feel like Illumination movies are pretty distinct looking. There's no confusing Secret Life of Pets for a Pixar movie IMO.

5. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

For consistency & cost-reduction

6. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I always figured it's done so the average viewer can't tell if they're watching a better studio. If it looks like a Disney film, people will assume it is and this go and see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. Frank98

Frank98 Keep moving forward

Commercial reasons. These movies need to bring lots of people to the theatres to re-earn their budgets, so they use a style that is appealing to as many people as possible (even though often it only looks bland and generic). Extra point if it's a similar style to a better, more successful film.