Why didn't they repeat Deadman or Casshern but they reran the six episodes of Fooly Cooly over and o

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by bklien, Nov 12, 2012.

?

Which of the 3 do you like the most?

1. Fooly Cooly

60.0%
  2. Deadman Wunderland

20.0%
  3. Casshern Sins

20.0%
  1. bklien

bklien New Member

Any ideas?

2. BrianLeague

BrianLeague Active Member

They no longer have the rights to air Deadman Wonderland and Casshern Sins. They still have FLCL, and I assume the reason why it's been aired so much is because it brings in ratings.

3. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

Simple, Toonami managed to pay less for FUNi's shows by only airing them for one run.

4. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

FLCL was acquired years ago, back when Adult Swim was still young.

Williams Street had a larger budget back then, so they could afford to air shows much longer.

Since they're running Toonami on a shoestring budget, they can't afford that same luxury nowadays.

5. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

As Ishtar said, they only snagged Deadman Wonderland and Casshern Sins for one run. Paying for a single run must be much cheaper than buying the airing rights for an entire year (or however long typical acquisition contracts are set up).

FLCL, on the other hand, is part of the Adult Swim Action trinity, alongside Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell; three series that Adult Swim consistently renews the rights to, to the point of seeming to perpetually own them (though this is now true of GitS). Whereas Bebop is one of WS' favorite anime, and they somehow now outright own GitS, FLCL gets to be the show they drag out every so often for either schedule filler or just a special run. It's very short too, so the airing rights must cost much less than most other shows.

6. Monte

Monte Active Member

Not only is it cheaper for them to just air the show once, but i think it may even make for an interesting ratings strategy. By changing the shows the way they do, Toonami can actually make sure that their is ALWAYS something new to watch during the block. It keeps things fresh...

7. bklien

bklien New Member

Was the only problem, like I heard, with Detective Conan, the number of episodes? They've aired Bleach, Family Guy and to an extent Naruto WHICH HAVE LOTS OF episodes.

8. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

It got poor ratings and Adult Swim didn't treat it with much respect. They pushed it further into the night around halfway through the premieres, which made the ratings even worse still.

9. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 New Member

Guess this means no Code Geass ether huh?

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using toonzone. And I'm a loner at heart.

10. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Theoretically no Code Geass but they got Eureka 7 back so it isn't entirely out of the question. I'd prefer they not re-air it myself and while Bandai is being restructured it may not be an option.

11. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

Yeah, pretty sure the Toonami crew said that they can only air their current Bandai shows because those deals were made before Bandai Entertainment went out of business. I don't think their other shows are an option, at this point. I'd rather have Gurren than Code Geass, anyway.

12. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Luckily, Aniplex might be able to make that happen.