Why did you join Toonzone?

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by wonderfly, Jan 25, 2017.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Got this idea from a similar thread from 2008. Since it's been a little while since then, I thought it might be time to pose the question again:

Why did you join Toonzone?

How did you first discover the forums here? What show (shows?) were you interested in when you joined? Have your interests changed since then? Has the animation industry changed (for better or for worse) since then?

• Like Like x 3
  2. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Obviously so I could have amazing conversations with you @wonderfly.

Really though, it's cause the old Toonami Revolution board ended up here when Jeff Harris' Toonami site got sweeped into Toonzone.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

How I discovered Toonzone? As a child I joined a not-so-serious forum on the website of a local manga publisher. I soon joined two proper forums about manga.

Then they stopped publishing Dutch manga so I had nothing to say anymore. (I was too young for online shopping, and too goody-goody for illegal scans) I missed forums quite a lot, so I tried a forum about Pokémon. I didn't like Pokémon at all so I only talked in the off-topic sections :sweat:

The forum was loaded with links to Pokémon episodes on Megaupload. Once Megaupload was closed down, many people left. (well, not immediately, but you get the point)

I found this forum by searching for "Agent-347 Cartoon Network" on Google :D (Agent-347 was my favourite member) I found this place amazing and joined the day afterwards. I don't know any other place where you can talk about cartoons like this.

• Like Like x 3
  4. SparkleMan

SparkleMan Well-Known Member

It all started with Nick and More. I came for the news section that Nick and More mentioned. A few years later, I searched "Toonzone", and the forums popped up, so I joined.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

I was a big fan of The Batman back in 2004, and I decided to go on the Internet to see if I could find any like minded people. It didn't take long for me to find The World's Finest and I started reading the episode reviews there. I also began to feel nostalgic for Spider-Man: TAS, which I worshipped as a kid. I found Marvel Animation Age, and quickly realized that the two sites were related. I lurked around for a few years, and later found the forums. I lurked there for a while, and finally joined in summer 2008. Hard to believe it's been so long. I joined when I was 14, and I'm now 23, so I've grown up a lot while posting here. There's been some crazy moments, some embarrassing moments, but it's been a ton of fun.

• Like Like x 4
  6. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

In 2012, I discovered Nick and More through a Wikipedia page that cited one of their articles. It quickly became a regular visit for me because it was two things I was looking for in one: A site I could get news for my favorite networks, and a place I could look at old schedules. At the time, it was hosted on ToonZone, so it wasn't long before I found here. I ended up using the news blog a lot, but I actually only read the forums a few times in the 3 years I knew about the site before singing up. I liked what I did see, though. Then for about a month or two before singing up, I was on and off about doing so. I thought it might be a good place to talk about cartoons, but since I didn't read the forums much, I wasn't sure how much I'd use an account (plus, I had never actually used a forum before, so I wasn't sure if I could get the hang of it). Finally, I went ahead and singed up, and my first post was in The Loud House News and Discussion Thread. Now I enjoy coming on here every day.

• Like Like x 4
    #6 PinkiePie97, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  7. RegularCapital

RegularCapital The Third Dimension

• Like Like x 1
    #7 RegularCapital, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  8. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

I found out about this site when I believe 2013 that I found out that Toonzone would usually have a listing of episode premieres of Cartoon Network having a list of new episodes and their dates.

Throughout that time I just came back and forth just checking that stuff, until the day that Boomerang changed its schedule in June of 2014, I would just come here to scout any info about when was something going to change.

Then came the day I signed up to get some word if anything was said here about the rebrand or something along those lines.

After time again my role just changed massively, back then I just only had that intention of trying to get some info to know just communicating with others and having a say in threads.

• Like Like x 3
  9. wonderfly

The long version:

Back around December 1998/January 1999, I was in college, and I moved into a new place in a new town. I discovered that I had access to the WB channel, for the first time. So I was able to watch Kids WB for the first time. And THAT's when I discovered there were new episodes of "Batman: The Animated Series" that existed! (I thought there hadn't been any made since 1994, the episodes that aired on Fox Kids, back when I was in high school)...

So I went online in January 1999 and started searching for more info on "The New Batman Adventures" and discovered the old "World's Finest" website and message board. That's one of the websites/message boards that got absorbed into Toonzone, as I understand it.

I hung out on that message board off and on for a few months (or a year or so), but eventually moved on (for whatever reason)...but I eventually came around looking for "World's Finest" once again in early 2002, discovering Toonzone forums in the process.

And that's when I saw that Toonzone was holding a weekly voting tournament for "Best episode of 'Batman: The Animated Series'", to celebrate the 10th anniversary of B:TAS!

I joined in kind of late. This is probably my first post. Or if not the first, it's one of the first. "Heart of Ice" won that tournament, and was awarded "Best Batman Episode", if I recall right.

...I just realized, this year marks the 25th anniversary of "Batman: The Animated series"! :eek: Also, it's been 15 years that I've been on Toonzone...man, I feel old.

Anyway, I spent much of the early years on the DC forum, or the Toonami forum, and on the Comic Book Culture and Toonzone Cafe forums...and expanded out from there.

• Like Like x 4
    #9 wonderfly, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  10. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

From what I remember, I saw the site being mentioned on Facebook, and I joined at a time when I just got into My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and this site had pretty active discussion on the show, so I more or less joined for that.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

Back before the scene had changed, long way back, it was about 2003 or 2004. Its sometimes hard to keep track of how long these things go.

In any case, I was a young college student with alot of time on his hands watching Toonami. An internet search led to the Toonami forums, which I lurked for a while. The live Threads were funny and fun. Then I decided to check out the rest of the community, which was much larger and livelier back then. Amazed that there were so many fans of cartoons and shows, I decided to sign up.

Ah those were the glory days, were I could be with others who shared my love of Gundam, Stargate SG-1, Star Trek, Digimon, and so much more. There were plenty of regulars and I made friends.

Now things have changed - new tech, new apps, and my tastes. Stargate got stale after season 8, Gundam flattered a bit (and only got back on its feet, though Build was great), Star Trek I've have to re-access, and anime seems to lack the popularity it had back in the 00's. Also the feel of the place has changed: the internet has become less of a wonderful wild west and more of a settled place, no longer was it unique and erratic.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Back in the fall of 2004 I searched for Cartoon Cartoon Friday's on Google. I came across a now defunct CCF fan site with a link to the CN board. I didn't know about the other boards to later. I lurked in the bushes for a couple years since I didn't have my own personal email address at the time. When I first joined KND and Ed Edd n Eddy were my favorites.

• Like Like x 3
  13. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

... To voice my opinions on cartoons and stuff, whether popular OR unpopular (which is what I do best...) on a place where said views actually feel somewhat welcome.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I think my story went something like back in 2003 I was searching for websites with info about the Justice League animated series on CN and I found the World's Finest by @James Harvey and Bird Boy then stumbled upon Toon Zone from there. I noticed some members trying to figure out clues about who would be the members of Grodd's Secret Society in season 2 left by the late Dark Lantern, RIP, and I joined the forum to participate in the speculating.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Man, it's embarrassing that I don't even remember most of the exact details, but I recall that I was a big Toonami fan, and I discovered the Toonami forum. I lurked for a few years before finally joining (ironically, when Toonami was basically about to end anyway).

• Like Like x 2
  16. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

i don't remember exactly how i discovered this forum...

i think i searched google for forums or websites where people voiced their opinions about nick

• Like Like x 1
  17. wonderfly

Just an observation, but I'm surprised by how many responses here say "I lurked for a year or two before joining".

Nothing wrong with that, necessarily, but it's different then what I expected.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. ZanyLogic5

ZanyLogic5 Active Member

Why I joined........................it's a long story, but I'll tell you this;

Reviewing stuff and out of fun (mainly the second part).

• Like Like x 2
  19. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

I first looked over the site in 2010 or 2011, and I joined in 2013 just to post the information and express opinions, if nobody talks about it

• Like Like x 1
  20. Action!

Action! Active Member

I first looked over the site in 2011, and decided to join last year.