Why Did You Choose Your Current Avatar Version 4.0

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by defunctzombie, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I haven't picked a new avatar in a while, so I was thinking of an album I've been into recently. Prince in general came to mind, so I decided on Parade, which I recently purchased.

Released as the soundtrack to Under the Cherry Moon, this is another case where the album does and is better than the film, made between Purple Rain and Graffiti Bridge. There's still a bit of psychedelic influence left over from Around the World in a Day, but the album returns to more of the traditional funk Prince is best remembered for, with increasingly intense and clever orchestral pieces added around. There's a lot to take in, so I can't really recommend the album for people who need something a little more consistent sounding.

This is best known for "Kiss", one of Prince's biggest hits, but there's plenty of good here as well, including one of his most passionate works, the closing "Sometimes it Snows in April". The movie is interesting, but as per usual, I definitely prefer the album.

2. SparkleMan

SparkleMan Well-Known Member

Because Gladion makes me GLADion

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I changed mine to the stuffed lion at Gripsholm Castle just because it is so ridiculous looking.

4. Darklordavaitor

Staff Member Moderator

It's funny, I went from not changing my avatar in over 4 months, to changing it in less than a week. But right now, I'm getting pumped for my Testament show in April, and have The New Order chosen.

From their classic period, their debut is actually my favorite, but this isn't a sophomore slump at all. The band had plenty of great riffs and ideas around from tracks such as "Into the Pit" into the title track, just as Chuck Billy's growl was as ferocious as ever. I even like the album's Aerosmith cover, which isn't too popular of an opinion, but they do a good job of keeping the track's energy and fit the original band pretty well.

I'm honestly more excited to see the band based on their recent albums, which show them in top form. But of course, they wouldn't be here without their classic LPs, which still sound good today. Don't be surprised if I pick another album of theirs for my avatar in the near future.

5. Cunning Condor

Cunning Condor Unfriendly Cartoonist

It has the feel of an avatar and it also gives off what I'd consider to be an accurate portrayal of the look I'm often seen giving others.

6. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

I felt like changing it to Bubbles from The Powerpuff Girls and I love this picture of her.

7. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

That George of the Jungle avatar has been tiring on me, on February 21st I switched to my Bloo avatar. It is also more like a throwback to my very first one, which was also Bloo, but a plain shot.

8. JaredCap43™

JaredCap43™ Cringey Network

I decided to switch to my Moose and Zee avatar because He-Man was getting boring (still love him, though), and I thought that the picture would be nice because "Spring is coming, just for you!"

NOTE: I will change it on April 1st. 3 Clues: Toys, Classics, and the color Blue.

9. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

I changed my Icon to Mikey and Bunsen from Bunsen is a Beast because I haven't been watching Danger Mouse frequently anymore.

10. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

With the Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid anime coming to an end in Japan, I decided to change my avatar to my favorite character in the series, Kanna (with it depicting one of her cutest moments in the anime).

11. PinkiePie97

I felt like showing support for a show I like that others hate. I'll probably go back to classic Bubbles at some point.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

Mine's now Serval cat from "Kemono Friends", been catching up with the series and just wanted to have the avatar reflect

• Like Like x 2
    #952 AnotherRandomGuy, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  13. Darklordavaitor

Staff Member Moderator

I just had my Testament show yesterday, and as awesome as it was (Sepultura's performance also inspired me to order their newest album, even though I'm otherwise not hot on their post-Cavalera stuff), I have Death on the mind. Which makes sense, since their current rhythm section used to be in the band, but not this album.

Still, Leprosy is a knock-out of an LP. It was only their second album, and was already leaps and bounds above Scream Bloody Gore. Not only is the production stronger, Schuldiner's songwriting changed for the better, with tighter compositions and a lyrical focus on more realistic, brutal body horror, as opposed to the more obvious nods to shocker flicks and Satanic bs that their first album and previous influences used. It was a step in the right direction, and would only be the start of both theirs and death metal in general's growth.

14. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I changed my to this rainbow. I was just sick of that lion but I don't have any current obsessions.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

Super Robot Wars OG is cool and the Alteisen is a cool robot. This particular imposing image is from the Secret Hangar artbook.

16. Darklordavaitor

Staff Member Moderator

Time for my first Iron Maiden avatar in this series. I'm picking Live After Death, their most iconic live album.

Many consider it their best, but personally, I feel that the band has only increased their talents and power on stage over the years. That said, there's plenty to enjoy here, considering that this came from their massive World Slavery Tour, with tracks coming from the first five albums. They have plenty of great later tracks, but there's something special about Powerslave, which they pull more than half off perfectly here, as well as some choice Di'Anno-era cuts.

Everyone's on point, but Nicko McBrain especially kills it on drums, while Bruce gives some of the best pre-song speeches of his life, including a doozy for "Rime of the Ancient Mariner". Great stuff.

17. Rabbitdust

Rabbitdust New Member

My icon is supposed to be my Warrior Cats OC, Rabbitdust. I've been reading WC lately and i love it!!

18. FullTimePanda

FullTimePanda New Member

Talespin was my very first cartoon that I was obsessed with as a kid, it opened up the door to watch other cartoons and fill my obsession its adulthood, so it has a very special place in my heart. Plus when you see papabear smiling you cant have a bad day imo

19. Darklordavaitor

Staff Member Moderator

ZZ Top's Eliminator is their biggest album, and I couldn't tell you why, exactly. Nothing about it screams massive MTV play, but that's exactly what made this go diamond and become their commercial benchmark.

I wouldn't call it my #1 favorite of theirs, but you can't deny the magnitude of hits it has, each of which still have their staying power today. The b-sides are generally pretty tight as well, and help to keep the band's boogie rock that made them favorites of the 70's with a touch of synth that kept them in the now. There's good stuff all around, but I picked this one in particular because "Gimme All Your Loving" has been on my mind all day.

20. PinkiePie97

I finished Powerpuff Girls Z yesterday, so I decided to change my avatar to its version of Bubbles.

• Like Like x 2