1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Did You Choose Your Current Avatar Version 4.0

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by defunctzombie, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Time for me to start up my list.

Just a note: I'm not adding any artists to my list with any less than four albums currently out. I don't think that's enough to weigh in a fully balanced list, even if those few albums have touched me enough.

My #10 choice is Sonic Youth. I love alternative with a lot of lead in it, and the Youth delivers. Daydream Nation is an obvious choice for my favorite and the one I come back to the most.

2. WolfieKiwi

WolfieKiwi We lil' devils

'Couldn't find the right icon for Nathan Fillion or Alan Tudyk, so I resorted to a smugly looking Dr. Horrible and slapped a Wash quote from firefly when he plays with his dinosaur toys.

I so badly wanted to use the "and we will call it...this land!" quote but it wouldn't make sense.

#62 WolfieKiwi, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2011
  3. Darklordavaitor

Staff Member Moderator

#9 goes to Death, or just Chuck Schuldiner in general. Schuldiner is the father of death metal, but his music became increasingly progressive with each release, to the point that he quit Death to form his own prog metal act, Control Denied, which is nearly as good as his Death work.

The Sound of Perseverance, Death's last album, is one of my favorites, a heavy progressive epic with one solid hook after another, and also contains a great cover of Judas Priest's "Painkiller".

4. Urusei Yatsura

Urusei Yatsura The Revolutionist

I'm doing a rewatch of Code Geass.. C.C. is one of the best parts of the show. :p

5. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men
    Staff Member Moderator

Same song, different verse. New Supernatural icon, this one a screenshot from the season 5 finale "Swan Song" of the brothers Winchester sitting on their beloved '67 Impala.

This episode pretty much makes me cry for 42 minutes straight. So good.

New episodes start in one week ^_^

6. Darklordavaitor

Staff Member Moderator

My #8 is The Mountain Goats, John Darnielle's act. A great indie folk artist who puts his very heart and soul into each and every syllable he spits out. His music is pretty varied as well, and he has a lot of guest contributors perform with him throughout.

Tallahassee is his masterpiece, and one of the greatest albums released in years.

7. Darklordavaitor

Staff Member Moderator

I seem to have a thing for bands with one major contributing factor to their music and atmosphere, since my seventh choice is Thin Lizzy.

You'll probably recognize their hit "The Boys Are Back in Town", but they have a wide, expansive discography beyond that. Phil Lynott was one of the most prominent African-American figures in rock during his lifetime, and made some great material during it. Hard rock with a varied range of other influences added in, such as funk, soul, and Irish folk. Lynott's bass playing, writing skills, and their twin lead guitar act was a major influence on a later band in my list.

It's hard to pick a favorite from Thin Lizzy's discography, but Black Rose: A Rock Legend is one I always come back to. Solid hard rock from start to finish.

8. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

[​IMG]

The newest episode of Regular Show had a scene were Pops was sent to an alternative universe where he met a more proper, and realistic looking version of Mordecai and Rigby. I went with a realistic Rigby because this shot was pretty hilarious.

9. PunkPhantom

PunkPhantom Addicted to Toons & Tunes

I changed my avatar just now to Robotomy because it just ended tonight and I am sad.:sad::(:crying:

10. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

After nearly 5 years of Biff telling you to say hi to your mom for him( although I doubt anyone could see it due to the avatar size:sweat:) I decided to change it. I wanted to keep the BTTF theme but I didn't like the quality of the picture and there aren't that many decent Biff pictures.

I'm sure he'll show up again sometime in the future. Until then I wanted to go back to something Batman. I had a different one before this one but this one looked better and it's Batman, Etrigan, and Robin standing in front of a blast that always reminded me of Dragon Ball. It's a neat effect I think.

11. Darklordavaitor

Staff Member Moderator

Had to skip updating yesterday, but I have my #6 up now. Tom Petty, with and without the Heartbreakers. Classic rocking American sound that brings back a bunch of memories from over the years. He also happens to be my mom's favorite artist (or tied with The Rolling Stones, she's kind of fickle like that).

There's a few different albums I could have chosen of his to highlight, but I decided to go with his greatest commercial success, Full Moon Fever this time since I own it on vinyl, and the format can always use some love.

12. Marvin Tikvah

Marvin Tikvah Active Member

I managed to find Natsu Jikan today and thoroughly enjoyed it, mostly because it finally gave Daisuke some much needed backstory and showed off his living relatives.

I was going to go with a shot of his sister Chiki, but Kokonoe's face was too good to pass up.

13. Darklordavaitor

Staff Member Moderator

Now we're reaching the top 5. This is when stuff gets real.

My fifth choice are The Beach Boys. And yes, I think Smile is amazing, but that doesn't count as an official Beach Boys album, so I'm going with the next best thing, Smiley Smile, home of a few songs that would eventually make that album.
    ---
    Number 4 is a bit personal to me. Agalloch is unquestionably the greatest American black metal band to ever form. I'd also vouch for them being the greatest metal band to form in the states as well as the greatest band to form in the past 15 years, but that would be a stretch to a lot of people.

They have encompassed such a wide range of musical styles though. Besides black metal, there's doom, folk, post-rock, neoclassical, ambience, and even traces of soul. Everything about their musical style is inventive, from how they switch their vocals to crushing traditional black metal style to a more familiar, haunting normal singing voice, the instrumental's progressive time signatures, the clean sound of the guitars, which for this type of music is uncanny, and how the drums compliment the music, ranging from intense to the most sensitive part of some tracks.

Agalloch is an ongoing experiment on the abilities of heavy metal, and have been consistently impressive since their first album has been released. I'm sporting their latest album, Marrow of the Spirit right now, and let me just say that it's merely a highlight of such a strong discography that should only grow in the near future.
    ---
    Triple post? Appropriate since I'm on my #3, Frank Zappa.

What can I say about the man that hasn't already been said? Legend, maniac, musical genius, exceptional public speaker, brilliant thinker, greatest person ever are some things that he could have been referred to as.

Hot Rats is a fusion masterpiece, and his first post-Mothers of Invention album. It's tough to pick a favorite out of his many albums, but this is the one I always come back to.

Mod Note: The Edit button is your friend.

14. Ryusui

Ryusui It's the greatest day.

The Drive-Thru Whale from Homestar Runner. From his first appearance, he's been nothing but pure (and slightly disturbing) hilarity. I love how Telltale's SBCG4AP used him as an ultra-oblique hint system in the first couple of games.

"When the End Times come, we will all dance the Conga of the Apocalypse."

The gag is, of course, a subversion of the usual "you can never understand what they're saying through those drive-thru speakers" - in his case, it's quite clear what he's saying, but it generally makes no sense (unless you're willing to accept that Blubb-O's accepts payment in severed limbs).

My alternate avatar is, of course, Homsar, who is just as incomprehensible but quote possibly at the other end of the alignment scale.

15. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

[​IMG]

I've been playing around with some different avatars lately, but I like this one. It's a bit out of focus of the actual content (which I may fix soon), but otherwise it's a pretty cool picture of Cell being killed.

#75 KYO'NYUU IMOUTO, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2011
  16. Darklordavaitor

Staff Member Moderator

#2 goes to Simon & Garfunkel. Arguably the greatest pop music ever written was done with Paul and Art while they were still together. Paul Simon's solo career may have some high points, but I don't think anything he's done without Art Garfunkel was of that level.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme is their opus and one of the greatest albums ever made.

17. WolfieKiwi

WolfieKiwi We lil' devils

I had to.

Missle the pomeranian has stolen my heart.

Now back to studying intensive italian.

18. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Decided to give Silver a break and go with another favorite video game antagonist (if you can call him that). I was starting to get disappointed playing through that game without seeing Meta Knight, but he finally showed up. :anime:

19. Luna

Luna Daydreamer

I love Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep,and think Aqua is awesome,both in character design (love her blue hair,and the colors of her outfit are nice),and her attacks....Plus,IMO it's always great to be able to play as a female character...
    So,here's Aqua,from the cover of a BBS novel,drawn manga-style (by Shiro Amano)...

20. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

[​IMG]

Stitch dressed up as Elvis. I was watching Lilo and Stitch recently, and the part of me that appreciates Elvis' music always liked it when Lilo and Stitch were on the beach and trying to make Stitch like Elvis. That and Stitch is one of my favorite Disney character.