1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Why did Charles Adler leave Tiny Toon Adventures?

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Zen Man, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Zen Man

Zen Man Active Member

Does anyone know the real reason why Mr. Adler left the show midway through the final season? Was it a pay issue or creative differences at work? Seems kinda strange that they would abruptly replace one of their established voice over artist; especially during the last season of the show.

2. cognitofalcon

cognitofalcon G'night evry' body!!

He apparantly struggled in recording sessions, and many wanted him replaced. It would seem that some of the producers fought to keep him, bevcause he was just really good at it. Eventually, once production on Animaniacs started, he was not offered a lead roll, Rob Paulsen was, and he was infurriated. He quit.

3. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Someone in the know like Dr. Deadalus or Tom Ruegger (who posts here from time to time) could offer better insight on this than I could, but here's what I heard:Apparently, Mr. Adler was upset about not being offered a major voice role in WB/Amblin's then next big project, Animaniacs. He was convinced that his being snubbed (in his view) was proof that the people in charge of WB Animation didn't like him, and was so incensed that he left Tiny Toons. For the remainder of the TT episodes, specials and projects, John Kassir took over as the voice of Buster Bunny.

4. BlueMail

BlueMail Chinatown, Chain me Down

Already mentioned twice above, Charles felt he was given the third degree and left Tiny Toons which then later replaced him with John Kassir.

Shame really, John pales in comparison to Mr. Adler's Buster Bunny.

5. SF4Ever

SF4Ever Active Member

Let's also remember this was 1993, when Charlie Adler left Tiny Toon Adventures and was replaced by John Kassir. From a degree, we can understand why Charlie felt he was getting short-changed, especially when Rob Paulsen was given the lead role in Animaniacs. Fortunately for Charlie, he and Barry Gordon got the lead roles in SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron as T-Bone and Razor, respectively. Ironically, Tress MacNeille, who was both Babs Bunny and Dot Warner, at the same time, also got a supporting role, as Callie Briggs. Either way, Charlie was still going to be employed, but I have the feeling that Warner Bros, was breaking in John Kassir to voice Buster as Charlie left for SWAT Kats, and at the same time, John got a bigger role as the Kryptkeeper in ABC's Tales From the Kryptkeeper.

6. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I'm "in the know"? Hmm, news to me.

7. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Fortunately? Swat Kats died after 24 episodes. Animaniacs had nearly 100 plus a TV movie. I think he got the short end of the stick there.

8. Artayes

Artayes Member

Why does everyone keep assuming Charlie felt everyone hated him or disliked him?? It was only maybe a couple of people that Charlie may have had a problem with.

-Both Charlie Adler and Joe Alaskey left due to Tress MacNeille being paid more than both of them. Joe came back and renegotiated, Charlie did not.

-According to sources, Charlie's voice had to be maintained more than normal by his voice coach because his Buster voice would get too high-pitched at times.

-Also, he did not get a role on their next project, but this might have had nothing to do with him leaving. He left over money issues. And then, after all of this and not getting a role on their next project, he sent them a somewhat rude letter and possibly targeted one or two people for how he felt treated.

*I don't blame Charlie Adler and good luck to them finding someone more prefect for Buster Bunny- because they did not. Jon Kassir is very good and filled in for when he had to, BUT he is not Charlie Adler good. (They knew it too, hence why Buster is used in only one small segment-and even having Jon tweak Buster's voice a bit as well to sound like Abbott- in ''Night Ghoulery'' and why in ''Spring Break Special'', Babs has far more lines)

Charles Adler WAS/IS Buster Bunny. If I ever have a chance to make a return for Tiny Toon Adventures, Charlie Adler is my number one guy and he will be paid top dollar alongside Tress, Joe, Cree, and whoever replaces poor Don Messick (who would be hard to replace but someone like Billy West could possibly pull it off perfectly).

Charlie Adler just has a perfect voice for Buster. It fits him so well and is so unique, and to replicate that voice perfectly by someone else would be near impossible.

9. SF4Ever

SF4Ever Active Member

No one ever said people didn't like Charlie, but at the same time, we also have to consider the possibility that Hanna-Barbera was offering Charlie a co-leading role, along with Barry Gordon on SWAT Kats. Barry, at the time, was still Donatello on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which was an hour-long show on CBS, but he wasn't at every recording session for that show, as he was Razor on SWAT Kats, which stands why Greg Berg occasionally filled in for Barry as Donatello. Similar situation with Charlie- he probably had a lot of lines on SWAT Kats, so it's possible that Warner Bros. didn't want to risk taking any chance of Charlie straining his vocal chords, voicing Buster at the same time as T-Bone. That probably has to be the reason John Kassir filled in for Charlie as Buster, while he was still the title role of the Kryptkeeper. The thing probably was John didn't have a heavy voice-work load as both Buster and the Kryptkeeper and Charlie's voice-work load was probably heavier than John's, but these things can be very confusing to think about. That now brings me to Tress MacNeille- some might wonder, "how does she do it?" Three regular voice-over roles at the same time, namely as Babs Bunny on Tiny Toon Adventures, Dot Warner on Animaniacs and Callie Briggs on SWAT Kats. Let's also remember she's been doing cartoon voice-overs, since 1979(Scooby & Scrappy-Doo). Now, here's another strange scenario to keep in mind, if neiter Charlie or John were available to voice Buster, Warner Bros. could've called upon Christopher C. Smith, who voiced SWAT Kats villain, Traag in the episode "When Strikes Mutilor", and sound almost similar to both Charlie and John. In some aspect, I don't think we'll really understand the real reason why Charlie departed Tiny Toon Adventures in 1993, which was, in fact, a busy year for him.

10. Framwinkle

Framwinkle Crazy Squirrel

I see a lot of wild speculation, but this has already been answered by Tom Ruegger in an interview at Platypus Comix.

http://www.platypuscomix.net/people/ruegger1.html
    http://www.platypuscomix.net/people/ruegger2.html

11. Choppasmith

Choppasmith Member

12. Artayes

Artayes Member

Mr. Ruegger is indeed correct and he would know more than anyone, but he must of forgot the main reason why Charlie Adler left or just didn't bother to mention it.

Charlie Adler left mainly due to not getting paid as much as Tress MacNeille. He and Joe Alaskey both did BUT Joe came back.

I'm sure Charlie was very upset over being snubbed from their next project, but his reason for leaving was the money.

*This is exactly as I remember it in the 90s, but according to Ruegger in the interview, it was only Joe leaving for that reason. Maybe the sources were wrong at the time and the money was not an issue, but the story was that both Charles Adler and Joe Alaskey left over money issues and they were able to resolve them with Mr. Alaskey but not Charles Adler.
    This has been stated back since a few years after he left Tiny Toons in the mid-90s and I remember well.

13. EJLD4Ever

EJLD4Ever Animation Student

It should be noted, however, that Charlie DID return as Buster for the unreleased Playstation 2 TTA game Defenders of the Looniverse. Seriously--there is an interview in the July 2002 issue if the Official US Playstation Magazine with Charlie, Tress and Danny Cooksey about returning as their characters for the game.

On a side note Danny admits the secret of Monty's voice in the interview--he just screams everything!

14. Artayes

Artayes Member

that is really awesome! too bad the game never came out.

and LOL and Danny, I bet he could still do the voice today! and if Buster and Babs ever do cameo or star in something ever again, it has to be Tress and Charles doing the voices.

15. Zen Man

Zen Man Active Member

If that be the case; if it was about a role on Animaniacs, I think Charlie just simply overreacted to the situation since I'm sure he would've at least landed a minor role. As far as money, I side with him considering he did share top billing with Tress and Joe and should've been paid accordingly.

16. SF4Ever

SF4Ever Active Member

That's probably the case, but let's also remember Charlie and Tress also got major billing on Hanna-Barbera's SWAT Kats series, along with Barry Gordon. Along with Charlie and Barry, Tress recorded voice-overs for each and every episode of the first season as Callie Briggs, but not the second- this was probably due to her work on both Animaniacs and CBS' Beethoven series in 1994. I'm not entirely sure if Buster Bunny was a distant memory for Charlie, while he was recording voice-overs as T-Bone, but after Tiny Toon Adventures, he and Barry Gordon actually had top billing and did a majority share of voice-overs on SWAT Kats. Afterwards, Charlie moved on to Cow & Chicken on Cartoon Network, where he did a great deal of voice-over work. As for John Kassir, I though his Buster Bunny was like the Kryptkeeper with long rabbit ears, case and point, his was very similar to Charlie's. I'm not sure what Andrea Romano's thoughts are about John Kassir taking over for Charlie as Buster Bunny or John's Tiny Toons co-stars, but if money was the reason for Charlie's frustration, I don't think anyone can blame him, but like we all so after these types of circumstances, he's moved on, but since Tress MacNeille was Charlie's co-star on both SWAT Kats and Tiny Toon Adventures, she never let him forget where he came from. Soon, I'll start a thread on cartoon voice-over artists, who were co-stars on at least two animated series.

17. MadMan400096

MadMan400096 World War I Flying Ace

Charlie also did a large amount of voices on Rocko's Modern Life, which debuted only five days after Animaniacs.

18. rajzfilm

rajzfilm Member

The mystery is finally solved. I managed to talk to a writer from Tiny Toons, and he told why Charlie left.
    Charlie already voiced Buster in over 90 episodes plus the movie when it happened. It seemed that Tiny Toons would continue for many more episodes and there would be a successful Plucky Duck spinoff. Charlie didn't want to voice the same character for so long because he feared type-casting. Tom Ruegger and Andrea Romano became upset that he left, which is why Tom Ruegger spreaded all the negative rumours about this. Charlie stated in an interview that he wouldn't have left if he knew that Warner Bros only wanted to make a couple of more episodes.

19. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Which writer did you talk to?

20. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

That doesn't sound right. Anybody working in the animation industry during that period would know once you got up to 90 episodes, you had ten left at the most, especially when an entire new series was being groomed to take its place. The end of Tiny Toons was seen a mile away.