1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Who Was The First Non-White Superhero?

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Christopher Glennon, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Lucho

Lucho 'Ja think I'm a cowboy?

Except there are two characters introduced in the first issue. Flash Comics #1 (Jan. 1940)
    One is The Whip, the other is the original El Castigo, who he takes his persona from.
    El Castigo actually means more like punishment(er), yet I can see how they took it to mean to whip.
    So "the Whip" is the "contemporary" Rodney Gaynor caucasian legacy character's name, who they later retconned as being Hispanic himself. As Rodrigo / "Rodney".
    But the original character he takes his theme from, is Fernando Suarez El Castigo who (as offensive/cliche) he is definitely meant to be Hispanic.

[​IMG] .

#21 Lucho, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  2. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

I thought of one, and I'm surprised he's not mentioned.
    Maybe it's cause I'm not alone in seeing people from those countries look Caucasian with thicker eyelids.

Kato, he's the sidekick who outshines the hero, many thanks to the part Bruce Lee played in the 60s Green Hornet show.

3. Lucho

Lucho 'Ja think I'm a cowboy?

Kato was considered on the previous page, the OP established he was talking specifically about characters "introduced in a comic".

Green Hornet & Kato debuted on the radio (1936) , not in comic books.
    Similarly Zorro debuted in (pulps 1919) and Tonto (radio 1933), who if you're going to count characters outside comics both Zorro and Tonto already mentioned debuted befor Kato anyway.

That said if you're broadening the classification of superhero and are counting outside of comics Zorro, Tonto & especially Kato as you mention would definitely be some of the most prominent firsts.

Likely most everyone knows Kato is not meant to be caucasian.

#23 Lucho, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015