1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Who was the best WB cartoons director?

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Kevin Mo, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

Was it Friz Freleng, Chuck Jones, Robert McKimson, Robert Clampett, Tex Avery, Ben Hardaway/Cal Dalton, Cal Howard/Cal Dalton, Norm McCabe, Frank Tashlin, Jack King, Earl Duvall, or Arthur Davis.

My favorite has to be Friz Freleng, I love his Bugs Bunny cartoons. His cartoons have won 3 Oscars, the most for any director. Jones comes in second, with McKimson in third. clampett in 4th. 5th for me would be hardaway and Dalton. 6th davis. clampett's films were good but some of them got really wacky which kind of ruined the gags while jones and freleng were more calm with their gags.

Idk about avery because his films weren't that good for LT/MM. his only good ones are bugs bunny and detouring America.

What do you think? Reply below.

2. A-Cecil

A-Cecil Member

Positions of directors from first to last: #1-Bob Clampett, #2-Friz Freleng, #3-Chuck Jones, #4-Robert McKimson & Arthur Davis, #6-Tex Avery & Frank Tashlin,#8- Norm McCabe, Ben Hardaway & Cal Dalton, #10- Jack King, Earl Duvall, #12-Alex Lovy, Harman & Ising

Bob Clampett created the funniest and the wackiest Looney Tunes cartoons, especially his three Tweety cartoons. Its a pity that he left in 1946.
    Friz Freleng's cartoons are very funny, especially his Bugs Bunny and Sylvester & Tweety cartoons.
    Chuck Jones also makes some good cartoons, my favorites include the Road Runner cartoons, Chuck Jones' "Hunting Trilogy", Mouse Wreckers and Duck Amuck.
    Tex Avery's LT & MM cartoons are not as good as his MGM cartoons.
    For Frank Tashlin's LT/MM cartoons I rather reccomend his cartoons from 1940s. They are much better and funnier than his 1930s cartoons.
    LT & MM Cartoons made before 1937 can be very boring, lack humor, and quite slow paced to my tastes. The musical cartoons of the period could just bore you to death.
    The W7-era cartoons by Alex Lovy are the worst and the lamest of all. Cheap production quality, crappy animation, and weak plots hurt these cartoons the most. His cartoon "See Ya Later Gladiator" is the worst cartoon ever made.

3. A-Cecil

A-Cecil Member

Positions of directors from first to last: #1-Bob Clampett, #2-Friz Freleng, #3-Chuck Jones, #4-Robert McKimson & Arthur Davis, #6-Tex Avery & Frank Tashlin,#8- Norm McCabe, Ben Hardaway & Cal Dalton, #10- Jack King, Earl Duvall, #12-Alex Lovy, Harman & Ising

Bob Clampett created the funniest and the wackiest Looney Tunes cartoons, especially his three Tweety cartoons. Its a pity that he left in 1946.
    Friz Freleng's cartoons are very funny, especially his Bugs Bunny and Sylvester & Tweety cartoons.
    Chuck Jones also makes some good cartoons, my favorites include the Road Runner cartoons, Chuck Jones' "Hunting Trilogy", Mouse Wreckers and Duck Amuck.
    Tex Avery's LT & MM cartoons are not as good as his MGM cartoons.
    For Frank Tashlin's LT/MM cartoons I rather reccomend his cartoons from 1940s. They are much better and funnier than his 1930s cartoons.
    LT & MM Cartoons made before 1937 can be very boring, lack humor, and quite slow paced to my tastes. The musical cartoons of the period could just bore you to death.
    The W7-era cartoons by Alex Lovy are the worst and the lamest of all. Cheap production quality, crappy animation, and weak plots hurt these cartoons the most. His cartoon "See Ya Later Gladiator" is the worst cartoon ever made.

4. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

I can't pick one. I'm going to say it's a tie between Friz Freleng, Tex Avery, and Chuck Jones.

5. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Despite what many will say to you... it's still Chuck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

6. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

Tex Avery. After him it's a close one between Chuck Jones and Bob Clampett.

Freleng was really good at the music based shorts. Rhapsody in Rivets is my favorite of them.

7. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

I think buddy cartoons are worse than the 1967-69 era. they have no plot.

8. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

while some MM before 1939 were good like katnip college I love to singa sunday go to meetin time clean pastures some are just boring like jungle jitters and hittin the trail for hallujah land

9. superdude

superdude king of cool

Tex Avery

Friz Freleng

Frank Tashlin- 'Plane Daffy,' 'Porky's Pig Feat' and 'the Stupid Cupid' are some of the best ones.

Robert McKimson- Great animator, often under-valued as a director.

Arthur Davis- Considering the short run he had, his unit put up some good material. 'Quackodile Tears' is a classic and 'What Makes Daffy Duck' and 'Riff Raffy Daffy' should be.

---------
    Personally I always hated how Jones took zany and off-the-wall Daffy and made him a miserable a-hole who always lost to Bugs. I also disliked the angular, elongated redesigns of most of the characters.

10. Pilmedium

Pilmedium Active Member

Definitely Chuck Jones. His cartoons were hilarious, especially the ones with the road runner and Wile E. Coyote. Friz Freleng would have to be second. He oversaw many of the later cartoons that kept the classics rolling after the original studio shut down.

#10 Pilmedium, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  11. A-Cecil

A-Cecil Member

Can't to think about it, during the late-1980s and 1990s renaissance of animation, Chuck Jones was the only animation director from the classic era to continue working on Looney Tunes cartoons, while all the others such as Friz Freleng, Robert McKimson, etc. are all either retired or deceased. Jones continued working on new Looney Tunes shorts until he retired in 1996 after making the Bugs Bunny cartoon "From Hare To Eternity" which was dedicated to Friz Freleng who had passed on in 1995.

12. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

In my opinion, all the WB directors. Friz Freleng, Bob Clampett, Chuck Jones, Robert McKimson, Tex Avery, Arthur Davis, Ben Hardaway. Friz Freleng was a great director. His WB cartoons from 1936 and on was great, and he rarely had a bad cartoon after that...but his 1930's period really bores me. His teamups with Harman and Ising are quite enjoyable, and I think his Captain and the Kids films for MGM were fine...but Friz's little 'musical' color Merrie Melodies fro the 1934-1936 years were terrible. This is once again my opinion, many people like those. I feel like a lot of people give Chuck Jones too much credit as a director. However, Chuck did make great WB cartoons like "Rabbit of Seville", "Drip-Along Daffy" and "What's Opera Doc" as well as the hunting trilogy WB cartoons featuring Bugs, Daffy and Elmer just to name a some, but what I feel about Chuck Jones has no bearing on the great cartoons he directed. Tex Avery was great as well. Unpopular opinion, but I did like some of Tex Avery WB cartoons like "Land of the Midnight Fun", "Cross-Country Detours", "Circus Today" and "Wacky Wildlife", but I do agree that they're nothing compared to his MGM cartoons. Robert McKimson and Arthur Davis, in my view, are perhaps both the most neglected talents from the "Looney Tunes" golden age. McKimson, after taking over Frank Tashlin's unit in 1945, continued to make strong, funny cartoons with Bugs, Daffy and Porky. McKimson, just like Tex Avery, caricatured Hollywood Celebrities as Dogs in "Hollywood Canine Canteen" and Abbott and Costello as Mice in the "The Mouse-merized Cat". Great cartoons. Even McKimson's 50's Sylvester, Sylvester Jr and Hippety Hopper cartoons were severely underrated in my opinion. A lot of people don't like McKimson much, and I don't know why. Come on, the guy who was practically
    THE Bugs Bunny director of the early 1950's? I guess they don't like him for his work on the post-1964 cartoons, but I actually think his are the best of those shorts, and what could he do about the budget cuts at the time? "The Hole Idea" isn't a bad cartoon, it's not his best, but it's pretty funny. In fact, McKimson's only real turkies were from the 1963-1964 years, stuff like "Dr. Devil and Mr. Hare" and "Strangled Eggs". Arthur Davis, after taking over Bob Clampett's unit, after Clampett left Warner Bros, he continued Clampett's trend of wackyness, but added his own unique style to his cartoons by giving characters ridiculous sized bow ties. Lastly, I think Norm McCabe's early Daffy and Porky cartoons were entertaining. He was a short-lived director at Warner Bros, but "Daffy's Southern Exposure" was by far his best cartoon that had ever done in my view.