1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Who should the villain be in the next Batman Film?

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by WoahJake, Jun 16, 2013.

1. WoahJake

WoahJake Member

I realize the next set of batman films are pretty far off but i'd like to discuss what rogues you'd think would be good for the next Batman movie and what kind of Batman movie do you want? The detective, the action hero, the simple crime fighter?

2. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

I want something that doesn't have "origin story" written all over it (come on, everyone knows where Batman came from), preferably with the Joker in some form. Don't get me wrong, Ledger was awesome. But this whole "the character died with him" nonsense is just that. Did people forget that there was a time when they said no one else could play him besides Jack Nicholson?

I would also love to see Oracle involved. Nolan's films had the role split between Fox and Alfred, but the guide was still there helping Batman out. There's an easy female character to use in that role, you'd think WB would jump all over the idea.

3. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

What I would like to see in the next Batman movie more that a particular villain: I would like to see it set in 1940 or 1941.

4. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

To me, it really depends on what type of Batman film will be made. However, to avoid repeating the usage of those villains already covered in the Dark Trilogy, I'd go with either the Penguin or the Riddler, as I think that both of them could work as characters in the same "real world" type of Gotham that the Dark Knight trilogy attempted to use (although it failed big time with The Dark Knight Rises).

5. Captain Travis

6. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

The Penguin or Black Mask.

7. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Egghead. Make it an allout campfest.

8. Nightwing26

Nightwing26 Active Member

Adaption of Arkham Origins, followed by a sequel based on Asylum, then City, then whatever the next one will be, and so on.

So the main villains are obvious.

9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I would love to see a detective story to focus on the cerebral aspect of Batman against someone like the Riddler. But as a summer tent pole, there's got to be some action in it... and beating Riddler into a pulp doesn't sound that appealing. And well, Batman Forever didn't mitigate that one too well, imo.

10. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

I still think Reese from the Nolan movies would have been an excellent Riddler jumping off point. There's hope for the character, but most people can't get past the Gorshin/Carrey type.

11. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

I liked the "Coleman = Riddler" theory, but I always thought that was a coincidence. Seemed too clever for Nolan/Goyer to put in the movie.

I think Mr. Freeze should be the villain of the next Batman movie. The best way to do a Batman reboot is to just make an adaptation of BTAS. No origin story, has a detective/noir feel while still being filled with more sci-fi & supernatural type stuff. Freeze is perfect as a villain for that type of movie.

12. WoahJake

WoahJake Member

Loving the ideas! I'll share mine, I was thinking Black Mask would make a good villain for the next movie, since origins is coming out soon and all that and I think his origin works well, but could use some retooling

13. Captain Travis

Yeah I dont want another gritty realistic take on Batman give me Freeze, Clayface, Killer Croc, or Bat-Mite. ;)

14. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

I'd say Riddler, and make him more like he's been used in the books in recent years, more sophisticated in approach. A gentleman thief with an obsession with riddles.

15. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ventriloquist. He's very Batman, without being a repeat of all the foes we've seen on the big screen. A down-to-earth notion, a crime boss, with a quirk. I think that could keep a Batman film grounded in Gotham crime without seeming absurd and "superhero-focused" and wouldn't require an origin. Be a different type of Batman film, and I think that would be refreshing. .

16. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

I've been wanting Ventriloquist in a Batman film for so long. Unfortunately, studios probably think that he can't be taken as a serious enough threat as the lead villain of a film. If he ever appears in a film, I think he would more realistically appear as a secondary villain. Part of me would be curious at a film's take on Man-Bat.

17. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, in the books, Ventriloquist has been rebooted, and it's a woman this time, with a completely new puppet. If they stuck with Arnold Wesker, Jason Alexander would be a slam dunk pick.

18. darkdetective

darkdetective Former TZ Reporter/Reviewer

I haven't read much of the new 52, but last I read (think it was dini's run) the female ventriloquist was using wesker's scarface dummy.

19. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

Or they can have the Detective Story but instead of the Riddler why not add the Court of Owls as the main villains?

20. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well invariably the film would cherry pick a good Ventriloquist era. The comment about him being a "secondary villain" - I can see the logic, though I'd like superhero films to cut that notion out. Films tend to run antagonist vs protagonist, and why Superhero films try to wedge a third party in, or even a fourth, of a fifth (as you get to Batman and Robin stage) is a trick I'm shocked the industry hasn't worked out just generates a weaker film. You don't need it, Batman vs Villain is more than enough for 100 minutes plus. I think if they were wise they'd look to some of the lesser characters simply because it would give the films a new direction. Joker's been done before, Bane twice now, Catwoman a few outings... step back, let Batman sell the film as the icon and give casual audience a threat they don't know or won't expect, or even know how it will work. Worked very well for Dredd. Batman needs a fresh approach, most superhero films do these days. One thing I think Marvel has worked out and keeps trying to hit (with mixed success) is making the alterego as important as the hero - its why Iron Man works, and Spider-Man works - if you generate a strong character and situation away from the expensive boom boom hero bits, the film carries without flaw. Now if Gotham was worked to be an interesting issue for an interesting Bruce Wayne as well as Batman, that could be very cool - and a lower key villain, one that's less outlandish in style as much as motivation, would sync nicely into a Batman film that focused on Bruce Wayne and Gotham as it did Batman.