Who is Slade and why does he hate the Teen Titans so much?

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by Harley_Quinn, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Harley_Quinn

Harley_Quinn Honey, get mommy’s bazooka

Who is Slade in the Comics and why does he hate the Teen Titans so much?

What is his motivation?

Also, how close is the animated version of him to the comic version.

2. Bubblegum Girl

Bubblegum Girl Magic User Wannabe

Well, in the comics Slade's oldest son Grant Wilson(who was the first Ravager) died while fighting the Teen Titans and Slade wanted vengeance for his son's death.

But since the animated series is way different from the original comics, I'm not sure if it's the same reason.

3. Ed Liu

Ed Liu Grumpy Gorilla

Howdy,

This page from TitansTower.com has the full skinny on the comic-book version of Slade. In the comics, he's usually called "Deathstroke the Terminator," which has been dropped from the cartoon. Back in the day, his gimmick was that he used 90% of his brain vs. the 10% that normal people use (which is a false urban legend, but this bit of trivia has been brought up as recently as Identity Crisis). During the go-go 80's and 90's, they tried turning Slade into DC's version of the Punisher, meaning an anti-hero who slung large automatic weapons and killed lots of people in the name of justice.

I think the major distinction between the cartoon Slade and the comics Deathstroke is that Deathstroke was presented as more of a mercenary, while Slade acts for purposes of his own. Deathstroke was also far more violent and lethal in the comics.

-- Ed/Ace

4. Harley_Quinn

Thanks again Ace!

Informative as always, the only comic I read with Deathstroke in it was the recent Teen Titans run, Kid Play, I think it was called. Just curious what his history was like. Thanks again!

5. Style

Style The Green Style Returns

He's Bruce Wayne and he's insanely jealous that Tim Drake/Robin left him for Starfire.

At least that's what I gathered from reading this board for the past year...

6. jeffrey 228

jeffrey 228 New Member

Most people seem to think he is Bruce Wayne, that is false it is unlikly he would be both the hero and the villan and I know this has been asked many times in the past, even at Animation Insider forums that Bruce Wayne is not slade.

7. Lunchbox

Lunchbox New Member

Nuh-uh.

He's obviously Ron Perlman, kicking ass in the name of Ron Perlman.

8. Wizard

Wizard New Member

Hee!

9. The Master Con

The Master Con Dark Glass

He doesn't really hate them, it's just that if he ever challenged the Justice League he'd get his butt handed to him. So as a result he's reduced to fighting kids.

10. Lunchbox

Lunchbox New Member

I'm not so sure about that. Starfire and Raven both have impressive powers, Cyborg is a tank, and Robin was trained by the Batman himself. Beast Boy, though, is pretty worthless.

I'd love to see a Batman/Slade fight, though. They'd play so many mind games.

11. Singularity

Singularity Dullard.

Of course, he did almost defeat a team of Flash, Zantanna, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Hawkman, Atom, Enlongated Man, and Black Carnary. Would've have perhaps won if he hadn't lost his temper.

12. TeenTitansGO!

TeenTitansGO! expremental Upnnas

Slade (deathstroke)

Prob. a repeat.

Slades son, Grant Wilson, was killed by the Titans. Slade, secretly a mercenary anyway, tried to kill the Titans. When his wife found out he was a mercenary(which happened when Grant was killed) she tried to kill him, but she missed and shot his right eye. This brings a little reasoning in the black and gold mask he wears.

13. Singularity

Singularity Dullard.

Uh, no. Addie shot him after the incident where Joseph got his throat slit.

Why are you asking if your post was a repeat? It's not overly difficult to read a thread. Much less one that has eleven posts before yours.

14. Saru

Saru New Member

I've been wondering about Slade recently. Rewatching the Apprentice episode, I realized it. When Slade's mask gets knocked off, he immediately panicks and covers his face. He has something to hide. He has a... secret identity. EIther taht or some ugly-ass scars. Then I thought about how the producers described him as a "bad Batman". What if, like Batman, he's really a millionare playboy? What if he's a rival of Wayne(which would explain why he sent Robin to attack the Wayne Enterprise building without knowing Batman's identity... or does he?) Still a theory, but it might just work.

15. RAINMAN

RAINMAN Kikoutei Densetsu

Batman not the nices guy but he would never do mean and hartless things slade ben doing so there no way hes batman. As for the mask, I dought they will use the CB origin sesne DC toon like to make it looks as if the viallin had a tragic past to make him/her the person they are today. The writers will probely give him the Dr. doom type origin.:sweat:

16. Wanted

Wanted Toonmaster

Slade looked to me like Robin in one episode when half of his mask fell off. Maybe he's Robin's father.

17. Frank Castle

Frank Castle Sic vis pacem, para bellum

But it's been shown that Robin is Dick Grayson in this show. (Showed him as Nightwing) And obviously Dick's parents are dead.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2004
  18. Mister Intensity

Mister Intensity New Member

Slade isn't Batman

Now that's out of the way, we can continue our regularly scheduled conversation already in progress.

Mister Intensity

19. Harley_Quinn

So aside from the Identity Crisis story line,which is what I think you are referring to, he never taken on the real Justice League?

20. adoptedBatpuppy

adoptedBatpuppy Confidence is the Key

Has Slade ever fought Justice League?