"Who Is Archie Comics' Most Obscure Character?" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Who is Archie Comics' Most Obscure Character?

This is actually all I could get finished by this point, but I was determined not to break deadline for the millionth time. So.....I split it in half; what else could I do.

If you think this story is weird now, it's going to get much worse in part 2.

2. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

You should make some more Marvelous Maureen comics.

3. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

It's a stupid but potentially fun idea for a comic. There's just no commitment to story or quality. She did have a man/dog before Spaceballs though.

Wonder Blunder is as annoying as can be. Using fan made characters sounds like a stupid idea back then, a legal nightmare up to a year ago, and today a fantastic way to promote a kickstarter. So maybe she'll be thought of as ahead of her time.

And those Archie comics look like they are given to an "Introduction to Photoshop" class to finish.

4. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

This article got mentioned in Topless Robot's recent weekend round up story; Chris Cummins, the resident Archie historian, commented:

5. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

I knew of both Adam the Alien and Eye-da, but they were characters in the regular Archie series. Let me say this about Adam....they printed his first story in a Double Digest around 1989, which ended by promising his return. It didn't happen for many issues and his one appearance baffled me. They finally reprinted the second Adam story about a year and a half later.

6. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

7. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

Not knowing if Monsieur DuBois became human again might have made me feel a little bit more sad than not knowing if Maureen ever made it back to Earth did.

8. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

You know, there's a really good chance this will get a digital release soon. Archie Comics has been putting out some amazingly obscure things in their digital only offerings. Ginger was the last one. Not Ginger Lopez, Ginger Snapp, a character who had a short 10 issue run in the 50s.

They've done Dotty and Ditto, Suzie, Young Dr. Masters, Cosmo, Archie's Explorers of the Unknown, Tales Calculated to Drive You Bats, Arche 1 and Archie 3000, New Archie, and Cyrano Jones volumes, too. Apparently, if they own it, they're willing to throw it at the digital wall and see if it sticks.

9. Dsneybuf

10. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

How weird that Lori didn't number this one. My best guess is that it's Episode 19; it appears to be wrapping up the storyline that vanished in Episode 20 and it ends with "The End."

11. Dsneybuf

I myself have wondered if the greenlighting of a Captain Marvel movie would cause Archie Comics to try that, considering both series have a cocky blonde woman get into scuffles with aliens. (Disclaimer: I know more about Carol Danvers from The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes than I do from her comics.) I wondered that even before Marvel officially announced that movie.

12. Masked Mutant

Masked Mutant New Member

Would you by any chance have more Marvelous Maureen issues? I'm going nuts trying to get them all - I had every issue from my comic-collecting days, but, sadly, mice got to them - I've tracked some issues down, & I thank you for printing her very last story (printed above), but I still have a while - I have some additional information on the series, as I knew the real Maureen - I will explain more later. Anyway, please let me know, thank you

13. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

The real Maureen? As in....she's out there? What a scary thought.

But sorry -- I don't have any more beyond what was in the article and what was linked above. Are you saying "Roc Beat" was the very last one? That story was unfinished.

14. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

Have you tried ebay?

15. Emmanuel Asiegbu

Emmanuel Asiegbu New Member

Actually, not quite scary. Let me explain.

Have you read The Glass Castle? (Great book, by the way.) It's by a lady named Jeanette Walls, and it's about her family's struggles with homelessness. I bring this up because she has two sisters names Lori and Maureen, the former of whom went on to work in comics. As soon as I read "Lori Walls" in your article, Jeanette Walls and the Glass Castle immediately came to my head. Sure, that comic isn't good, but at least I have an explanation for you.

16. Masked Mutant

Masked Mutant New Member

Yes - the real Maureen was/is Maureen Walls, the younger sister of Lori Walls, who wrote & drew the series. We went to high school together. Actually, for some more information regarding the Walls', I'd recommend reading the book "The Glass Castle" by Jeanette Walls, the middle sister.

17. Masked Mutant

Masked Mutant New Member

I'm currently trying to re-collect the Marvelous Maureen stories, as they hold a special endearment for me (I'll explain that part later). I originally had the entire collection as I bought each issue when they came out, but unfortunately mice found my hiding place before I could retrieve them. Once I have the complete collection on my flash drive, I'll post them all for everyone to see

18. Masked Mutant

Masked Mutant New Member

oh, I see you HAVE heard of The Glass Castle - I agree, a great read. And yes, the Walls' in that book are in fact the ones behind Marvelous Maureen

19. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

That would be super. Let us know when it happens!

How'd it go with that one guy who was selling original color prints of the issues? Were you able to get them?