Who here watches the full Toonami broadcast each week?

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by wonderfly, Feb 6, 2014.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly 30 Years since Vampire Hunter D! Administrator

Just curious. I don't have cable, but was at someone else's house and saw a commercial for the current Toonami lineup this Saturday. So I guess it starts at 11:30 PM EST (10:30 CST) and runs till 6 am in the morning. Anyone faithfully watch the entire broadcast each week?

I ask because the promo advertised re-runs of Inuyasha, Samurai Jack, Ghost in the Shell and Full Metal Alchemist. And I was like "Wow, are they really promoting re-runs of shows that haven't aired in 10 years?"

And I guess I'm just wondering if that's part of the appeal - is that last part of the Toonami line-up a "nostalgia" schedule for those who want to remember the glory days, or is it JUST filler? And does anyone stay up to actually watch the entire line-up? And if you do, is it because you enjoy those retro shows between 4 and 6 am?!? :)

2. Vernikova

Vernikova ★ No One's Dream Anymore ☆

Of course not. You could've watched all of those shows way before Toonami came back.

Ghost in the Shell has been running on and off for years now and you can watch the whole thing for free on Hulu. Samurai Jack was airing on Boomerang at an earlier time for years now before moving to Toonami. FMA is free on Hulu, too. Brotherhood has been airing for a while now and Inuyasha has been there for years as well.

It's filler. The shows are good (except for Inuyasha), but still filler. I'd watch if they were on earlier.

3. macattack

macattack I see you! Reporter

I made it through once, back in 2013. I'm never doing it again because I was exhausted as hell the next day. But I wanted to say I did it once.

4. ShamarDJ

ShamarDJ New Member

I've watched the full broadcast a few times but I work sunday mornings and i cant afford to lose to much sleep

5. classictoonami

classictoonami Member

I'm smart i record every saturday.

6. wonderfly

wonderfly 30 Years since Vampire Hunter D! Administrator

Good point. Okay, so then you DO watch the full broadcast? (just at your own pace, not by staying up all night long)...

But if it's just filler, I guess I'm just wondering why the commercials even bother to tell you what's coming on at 5 am in the morning. Is there ANY other network out there that advertises what's coming on at 5 am in the morning?!?

So you're saying you'd watch it if it was on earlier...so IS there a market for JUST RE-RUN anime out there? I think they should have a channel somewhere that airs re-run anime in an earlier slot...I thought part of the appeal of the NEW Toonami was that it was airing re-runs...

7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator Moderator

I think that I watched the full broadcast back when Toonami was first revived, but that was also when it was shorter. I haven't stayed up to watch the full broadcast since they got more hours. Aside from Brotherhood, the shows on the later hours of the block aren't really appealing to me and certainly not enough to where I'd stay up later to watch them. Ghost in the Shell and Inyuasha have been on and off the air back on Adult Swim's lineup before Toonami came back and Brotherhood premiered under Adult Swim initially as well. They usually include all of their shows when they make a promo for the lineup, especially if they add anything new. I don't think that they promote any of the shows in the later hours individually.

If I had DVR, maybe I'd watch the full lineup later on when it wasn't so late just for the fun of it, but there would need to be more shows airing in the later hours that I'd want to actually watch and I've already seen all of Brotherhood.

8. MadMan400096

MadMan400096 World War I Flying Ace

No. Hell, the only show on the new Toonami I'm currently watching is Soul Eater. Neither Bleach or Naruto appeal to me, and while One Piece does, the buttload of episodes (even more than the rest of the big SJ titles) and the fact that it's still going has me sweating a bit. I've been uninterested in SAO since Day 1, and considering the comments I've seen, it seems I've made the right choice. As for Space Dandy, I'm waiting until it's finished so I can binge it later on, which is the norm for longer running shows for me nowadays (I know it won't be that long, but still). The rest are either unappealing to me or I can just watch them elsewhere.

9. Cartoon X

Cartoon X Lum the Forever

Toonami always promotes the whole lineup in their lineup promos. They do this so that people don't get confused by any changes, as the lineup updates very frequently and shows in the latter half of the block especially are moved around a lot. However, they never promote anything past 3am on the block individually, while the shows in the first 3.5 hours occasionally receive show-specific ones, because they are new or premiering shows.

No. The appeal of the new Toonami is that they are airing anime people want to see on tv or haven't been exposed to yet, make anime fun to watch as a social event on saturday nights, and otherwise give people something fun to talk and speculate about. The first 3 hours of the block are all premieres to at least the network, with Space Dandy being a WORLD premiere show. There are probably a lot of people who would like to see re-runs of classic titles, but most want to see good NEW shows, and that's what Toonami is striving to provide them.

Anyway, as for the question, I have taken the six hour challenge once. I can't say I remember exactly what episodes were on, though. It was mainly background noise as I read through and caught up with Attack on Titan. The only episode of the night I specifically remember is that filler episode of InuYasha where Myoga's wife possesses members of the gang to try and weed him out. I remember this because I found it amusing that the episode was more entertaining than anything in Attack on Titan past the Female Titan arc. ^^,

Otherwise, I have stayed up to various extents, but have never actively tried to watch all of Toonami. Last summer I only watched it for the One Piece and Soul Eater hour, though I've stayed up through 2:30am-3am since the Fairy Dance arc of SAO started to live-tweet on that trainwreck plus watch FLCL. I might actually might try doing the challenge again this saturday, since they are airing some notable episodes of a lot of shows on the lineup and I might have to stay up anyways, but such occasions aside, I'll probably never make a habit to watch all of the block every week.

10. Rynnec

Rynnec Active Member

I "watch" all of Toonami, but only because I stay up that late as is. And even then I just leave the TV on as background noise.

11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator Moderator

I usually don't watch the block past 2:30AM. I basically have Bleach and Shippuden on as background noise while I wait for One Piece to come on. I watch Soul Eater, Sword Art Online, despite not caring much for either show, and Space Dandy. Depending on what show they put on at 2:30AM, I might stay up to watch that part of the lineup, like they had FLCL on when it was new to the block, but my limit is 3AM at the most. If I had to go out on early Sunday morning, I'd probably just wait until the new episodes are available on Adult Swim's On Demand section instead of staying up that late just to get more sleep.

12. Lamel2g

Lamel2g Member

I used to watch the full block during when it aired daily during the week, or back in the day when they first had FLCL & Blue Gender. I've seen most of the shows they air now, but I still DVR a couple of them to watch later during the week. Other then Sports, I don't watch many tv shows live anymore, I'm to accustomed to ffw'd through commercials.

13. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

I've yet to experience the full 6 Hour Challenge. I have church the next morning, so I almost always drop out by 3am. The latest I've ever made it is a little after 4am.

But if I had a DVR in my room, I would record the latter half of the block and spread it out through the week.

14. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter! Moderator

I just leave the TV on while the shows I normally don't watch are airing. For the early shows, I leave the DVR on pause after Space Dandy ends, then go on the computer for about an hour. Then I come back and fast-forward when One Piece starts.

For the later shows, I leave the TV on mute and just fall asleep. (I'm exhausted by that time, anyway, so it works out.)

15. Vernikova

Vernikova ★ No One's Dream Anymore ☆

I guess they just want to advertise the entire block to get as many viewers as possible.

Don't misunderstand. I'd watch GiTS, Brotherhood, and maybe Jack only because I like them. I wouldn't watch IGPX, Star Wars or Inuyasha. I could just record the shows, like others do, but that I wouldn't get around to them.

16. ChildHood90s

ChildHood90s Loves his coffee

I try to watch as much of the block when I can. There have been nights where I watched the whole block... but lately I've had other things to do Saturday nights. So I just tune into One Piece, and leave the stream on as long as I can as I do other things.

CN and AS's online stream stopped working with my new cable provider all of a sudden, though. Don't get why.

17. bigddan11

bigddan11 Justice must be served!

I can honestly say if I were still at college, I would do what I did then. I recorded [adult swim]'s anime block and would watch it Monday after school. At the moment, I don't have access to the sat to record on Saturday night/ Sunday morning, so I can't do that at this time. Maybe when I get my own apartment.

I knew CN had a live stream on their site. i wasn't aware [as] had one now as well. I'll start tuning into that tonight, assuming my internet doesn't go down.

18. EroSennin

EroSennin The Frog Hermit

I usually watch until 3 or 4am. I watch all the Toonami premieres and then depends on what shows are airing and how long its been since I've seen them.

19. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Call To Rebellion

Same here.

20. Dilla

Dilla Mad Decent Swag

I'm ususally off on Sundays and stay up really late, but even then while it's on, usually it's background noise when I'm on my laptop (Food Network is usually my background noise on the other days). I do pay attention more on the premieres.

Now, during the April Fools stunt last year, I watched the entire thing due to nostalgia.