1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Who else hates Photoshop?

Discussion in 'The Drawing Board' started by avastye, Aug 29, 2016.

1. avastye

avastye New Member

I've never liked it that much, but there doesn't seem to be another program that is as good. I think there are too many features, and it's too expensive.

Perhaps there is a free or better option out there?

2. RegularCapital

RegularCapital The Third Dimension

GIMP, Krita and Paint.NET are worth a try, they don't have all the features of Photoshop but they're pretty close and they don't cost a penny. GIMP is good but it doesn't render PSD's all that well, it's best to treat it as a separate piece of software and save files in its native format, rather than treating it as a Photoshop clone.

For paid software, there's Serif's Affinity Photo (which is supposed to be a much cheaper and genuine contender to Photoshop and can read PSD's very well, its Mac only but there's a Windows beta coming soon) and the long-time rival Paint Shop Pro.

3. avastye

avastye New Member

Ah right yeah, I actually do remember hearing about Affinity Photo ages ago! I wonder if it can beat Photoshop. I really think Adobe need a strong opponent. I haven't heard of the other options, but sound interesting. Which version of Photoshop are you using?

4. RegularCapital

RegularCapital The Third Dimension

I use Photoshop CS6 at work, we use them for website concepts. Haven't made the move to Creative Cloud yet.

5. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

I always used an app called ArtStudio on the Ios on my Iphone back in 2013 I really loved using it to get a closer experience in photo editing.

6. avastye

avastye New Member

Oh, so you do everything on your smartphone?

If I subscribe to Adobe ... do they automatically update my version of Photoshop? I don't really understand if I'm buying a particular program or not.

7. avastye

avastye New Member

8. KillBill

KillBill New Member

Ha, yeah I've been aware of this for some time, but you're right, not so many people use it IMO. As for photoshop alternatives, Affinity Photo is quickly becoming my preferred option over Photoshop.

How much are you willing for to pay for a photo editing program?

9. avastye

avastye New Member

Ah yes, I do like the sound of Affinity photo :D But it's only for Mac right? I've got a Dell laptop...

Hmm looking at my budget now, ideally pay nothing ;) What can you recommend?

10. KillBill

KillBill New Member

Yeah only for Mac at the moment, but I think 'coming soon' has been their statement for PC for a long time!

GIMP has been regarded as one of the better free programs out there. Could be worth a look.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

I mainly use Paint.NET for my image editing needs. It doesn't have nearly as many features, but I like it for its simple interface (PhotoShop and GIMP can be really confusing) and all the plugins/effects you can use for it. It's a nice middle-ground between MSPaint and GIMP.

The problem, though, is that it's only for Windows.

• Like Like x 1
  12. avastye

avastye New Member

Ah cool, both GIMP and Paint.net were featured on this list of Photoshop alternatives. I've been going through the list and had a play around with those programs. I'm really liking Paint.net and I can definitely see myself using it more than Photoshop!

13. KillBill

KillBill New Member

Pretty solid list. Although I haven't heard of the last one mentioned, the MAGIX one

14. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

I've heard that quite a lot of business are sticking with CS6 instead of moving to CC for various reasons and I somewhat agree with that.

15. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

They're sticking with CS6 so they don't have to pay Adobe every month. (You already paid to own the software in full, so why keep paying just to rent it?) Also, CC was hacked a few years ago, exposing millions of subscribers' credit card information. CC is too unsafe.

16. CartoonFridays

CartoonFridays Promoted to detective.

I've been doodling on Photoshop. My rough sketches are good, but my attempts at cleanups always leave ink residue and the lines are bumpy and uneven.

17. Crainy

Crainy Devil from Hell

I love Photoshop actually.
    Even though the price is not low but i think it's worthy
    If you're looking for a cheaper app/software, i think there're some online web will allow you edit your photos (but i'm not sure if you can design logo or something special. And of course, you can't function as smoothly as on PTS)
    If you're using smartphone (especially Android OS), there're many free similar apps. Here's some recommendations:

Photo Booth (free)
    [​IMG]
    In Japan, kawaii is slang for “the state or quality of being cute,” and this photo app certainty lives up to its namesake. Although it has been popular in Asia for a while, Kawaii Photo Booth has only recently caught on in the West. That app lets you use all sorts of imagery, from cute emojis and hats to anime and manga stickers, to give character to your selfies and photography. Kawaii Photo Booth is available for free in the App Store, but its more advanced features are only offered via in-app purchases.

Download now for:

IOS

eyeZer Beam ($1)
    [​IMG]
    With this app, Dr. Evil won’t be the only one capable of summoning sharks with frickin’ laser beams attached to their heads. Now, you can unlock your inner superhero (or villain) and shoot laser beams out of your eyes, head, or wherever else you’d like. If you’re feeling bold, you can also set fire to your selfies within the app, giving them a certain fire that Tinder users will surely love.

Download now for:

IOS

InstaRage (free)
    [​IMG]
    Ever tried to meme yourself on Reddit and failed horribly? You’re not alone. But you don’t necessarily have to fail, especially when InstaRage is available. The app allows you to superimpose your favorite memes, such as “Forever Alone” and “Trollface,” on top of your own face. This can create some ridiculous situations with friends, and might stop you from turning your own unaltered face into a meme. Like they say, if you can’t beat them, join them, and that is doubly true for meme culture. InstaRage is available free of charge, though in-app sticker packs cost $1 apiece.

Download now for:

IOS
    ANDROID
    DOWNLOAD APK FILE ON PC/OTHER PHONES
    VSCO (free)
    [​IMG]
    VSCO offers more filters and fancy effects (what it calls presets) specific to nature and travel photography, although some require purchase (between $3-$4). VSCO also features a vibrant community that includes both professional and amateur artists and photographers who share their naturalistic photography with each other. With professional-grade tools and advanced camera controls, VSCO is one app that will bring your photography to the next level.

Download now for:
    IOS
    ANDROID

PICSART - I like this app best! Easy to use, many effect:
    PicsArt is just that – a photo studio with endless options. PicsArt offers more than just generic filters. It’s basically a free Photoshop where you can create anything you want. From weird and distorted to chic and airbrushed there are hundreds of editing tools to choose from. You can even read up on photography tips on PicsArt.

IOS
    ANDROID
    DOWNLOAD APK FILE ON PC/OTHER PHONES

Review by digitaltrends