1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Who are you least favourite Animaniacs Characters?

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Dr. Toonhattan, Dec 22, 2009.

?

least favourite Animaniacs Characters?

1. Buttons and Mindy

13 vote(s)
    21.3%
  2. Chicken Boo

13 vote(s)
    21.3%
  3. Good Idea Bad Idea

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The Goodfeathers

8 vote(s)
    13.1%
  5. The Hip Hippos

31 vote(s)
    50.8%
  6. Katie Ka-Boom

23 vote(s)
    37.7%
  7. Mime Time

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  8. Minerva Mink

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  9. Pinky and the Brain

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  10. Rita and Runt

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  11. Slappy Squirrel

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  12. The Warners

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Flareth

Flareth New Member

I don't like Buttons and Mindy, really. It gets really repetitive after a while, though I do like some of the episodes, like the one that was in French. I also don't like the Hip Hippos. They just don't appeal to me. I watched the Noah's Ark episode and really couldn't stand it .

But I do like Chicken Boo and Katie Kaboom for some strange reason. I dunno why, but I find them okay. Maybe because Katie reminds me a bit of me :sweat:. Yeah, I get stressed really easily and when it's that time....oh man....

2. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Well, as you yourself said, it was repetitive. Yes, to an extent, all the A! sketches were fairly repetitive when you get right down to it, but unlike, say, the Warners sketches, where elements would be used from cartoon to cartoon (such as "Helloooooo, nurse!"), Katie Kaboom was literally the same thing every time, the only difference being what caused Katie to lose it. Otherwise, same set-up, same "HIT THE DECK!", same conclusion. If one values creativity and unpredictability, one won't find it in these shorts.
    ...Yeah, somehow, I don't think that's the reason Katie Kaboom is hated. You get points for an interesting theory I've never heard before, though.

3. JD08

JD08 Active Member

Aside from Repetitiveness, others said they hate how she's a bratty teen but that's the joke of her character. You either get it because you were like her or you get it because you've had the "Pleasure" of knowing someone like her and that's how teens act. The lockdown parts are just fun.

4. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Oh I got that it was an exaggeration of how many teens get upset over nothing. I'm sure we can all relate in some fashion. But a girl getting angry and mutating, in and of itself, isn't particularly funny or creative, and it certainly shouldn't be the premise of an entire cartoon. You can see every joke in those shorts coming a mile away because they do nothing to vary the formula.

Katie Kaboom is the very definition of a one-shot cartoon, and should've stayed that way.

5. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

I'm sure Speedy was expecting a post like this sooner or later...

As I've gotten older I've found that I have almost no use for anything in Animaniacs that aren't Slappy, Pinky and the Brain and the good Warners shorts (i.e. all the TMS and Startoons cartoons and many of the Wang episodes from the first season and early third season). While I could sit through whole episodes of Tiny Toons to this day, most Animaniacs episodes I can only deal with in small chunks because the characters I don't care to watch outnumber the ones I actually like.

And Katie Ka-Boom was the worst of them all (outside cutesy one-shots).

6. JD08

JD08 Active Member

Well as I had mentioned the lockdown parts were the funniest to me. And it seems others aside from me found the premise funny seeing as she had 3 other cartoons.

7. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Katie Kaboom was indeed repetitive, but that wasn't my least favorite recurring segment on Animaniacs. Mindy & Buttons holds that distinction for being just as repetitive as Katie Kaboom coupled with the fact that Buttons rarely, if ever, got any kind of poetic justice for his actions.

Also, thank you, DarthGonzo. I thought that I was the only one who disliked the cutesy one-shots like "Wings Take Heart", "Wild Blue Yonder", The Brave Little Trailer", "A Gift of Gold" (although Mindy makes a cameo in that short) and "No Time for Love". I would typically change the channel whenever one of those shorts came on, and now that I own the DVDs I can just skip them.

8. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

My least favorite A! characters:

- Katie Ka-Boom tops the list. A one-joke character that wasn't that amusing a joke to begin with, over multiple episodes.

- Buttons and Mindy: The bits with Mindy and her mom were the best bits, but didn't care much for most of the rest of the shorts. (The one with the zombies was amusing in varying the usual theme though, as was the Mindy/Brain "crossover").

- The Hip Hippos had their moments (mostly when involving that animal activist/protectionist or teamed up with other A! characters), but weren't that great (and feel a bit dated in some ways regarding their attempts at being "hip").

-B.

9. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

You know, it would be interesting to hear a bit about those that never made it. I've always wondered what the heck "La Tidga" is in a writer's bible that I've seen (particularly because Tidga doesn't seem to be any recognizable language). Or things like the process of going from Yakky, Smakky & Wakky to Yakko, Wakko & Dot. The one image we've seen of Yakky, Smakky & Wakky in recognizable "Warner" form also has an early Dot in it. Was she originally a fourth "Warner", or is that image simply showing both Wakky and his replacement?

That's perhaps a topic for another thread, though.

I never watched R&R episodes expecting them to be laugh riots. They were musicals with heart and a little silliness. I love Rita & Runt. Of course, Animaniacs as a whole got my attention because of the music. Therefore, I've never had a problem watching all the segments. It's not a comedy series outright; it's animation variety.

Someone brought up thinking that the Richard Lewis parody in Noah's Lark really was Lewis. Heh... Lewis apparently was not amused by that parody. I was told (I think by "the other Tom") at the time that Lewis, or at least his lawyers, wrote threatening sue, only backing down when told basically, "Gee, other people LIKE being parodied on Steven's show."

10. hangman

hangman New Member

Pinky & the brain - my favorite!!! :p

11. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

The early Dot (let's call her "Proto-Dot") wasn't a sibling, but rather a little girl character who occasionally visited the siblings and had the hots for Wakky (shades of Honey & Bosko). Jean MacCurdy, then President of Warner's Animation department, suggested making the trio consist of 2 boys and a girl, so Wakky and Smakky were merged into a composite character (Wakko) and the girl character became their sister Dot.

12. Tom Ruegger

Tom Ruegger Member

not really

Silverstar wrote: The early Dot (let's call her "Proto-Dot") wasn't a sibling, but rather a little girl character who occasionally visited the siblings and had the hots for Wakky (shades of Honey & Bosko).

Sorry to report that the above statement is incorrect. Creative and interesting, but not how it happened. "The Warners" were always siblings. In any and all different configurations and incarnations and drawings of the characters, from their inception, they were always siblings. Whether the line up of Warners was three boys, three boys and a girl, two boys and two girls, or two boys and one girl, in every case, they were siblings. As a concept and by definition, the Warners are and were siblings.

13. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

Where did you hear that? It sounds like you're repeating my own hypothesis from years ago.

EDIT: Oh, and as Tom was posting at the same time as I was, it seems that indeed you were. Yet again, a mere hypothesis of mine got turned into "fact" somewhere along the line!

14. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I read it in an article in Animation Magazine, although it obviously wasn't 100% accurate. :shrug:

So after reading what Mr. Ruegger typed (obviously he would know the truth, since he was there, after all), I'm curious: if the Warners were always siblings, then at what point did Dot enter the picture? Was she always intended to be a full-time member, or was she originally just a supporting character? At what point did the trio become a quartet and then back to a trio, and who idea was that?

15. CountAbyss

CountAbyss Vs. The World

The Hip Hippos, sure they had some good moments but they were very little to none. Plus their "hip" attempts seem a little bit...out-dated?

16. Dr. Toonhattan

I always took that as the joke!

17. RonDrakenfan17

RonDrakenfan17 Luffy fan

For me, the Hippo's, they were just annoying to me.

18. Framwinkle

Framwinkle Crazy Squirrel

I liked the Hippos. Sure they were dated, but the whole show was full of pop culture refferences, so what are you gonna do? They weren't as good in their own cartoons, but I thought they worked pretty well with the other characters.

I never much cared for the Goodfeathers, though. They were ok in small doses, I guess, but I didn't like it when they had whole episodes to themselves. Pigeons just aren't cute. Again, and this really goes for all the characters on Animaniacs, they were best when teamed up with the other characters. Those were always my favorite episodes.

Katie Kaboom was probably my least favorite character because she had only one joke, blowing up when she got angry. It was good once, because I grew up with a teenage sister, but after that it got old.

I never really got bored with Buttons and Mindy. It was the same plot each time, but always in a different senario which kept it interesting. They certainly weren't my favorite cartoons, but they were usually fairly creative. The whole cartoon done in French was especially good.

Rita and Runt were entertaining, too, because they got involved in different settings, and Rita's songs were always good. It's true that it wasn't always funny, but it wasn't meant to be. Although Runt did his share of comic relief. I was especially impressed with Les Miseranimals. The way they parodied the plot to Les Mis was great, and I loved the music.

I really didn't care for the cartoons like The Flame, Gift of Gold or The Brave Little Trailer. Those were just boring, I'm afraid. I'll still watch the Katie Kaboom cartoons when I come accross them, mostly because they're short, but those cartoons I usually skip over.

The Randy Beeman kid was kind of annoying sometimes, but short. I actually enjoyed Mime Time because those were usually creative. (And who can complain about beating up on a mime?) ;) Good Idea/Bad Idea was also usually good.

19. Michael JJ

Michael JJ Remember to Stay Positive!

When I was a kid, I always turned off the television when a Mindy and Buttons short came on, not necessarly because I thought they were boring, but because I hated seeing poor Buttons get blamed by the mother at the end after he speant the cartoon hurting himself to save Mindy. That mother ought to be arrested for leaving her child in the hands of a dog.

But in terms of worse, I thought The Hip Hippos and the Goodfeathers were just boring.

20. Azathoth

Azathoth New Member

To be honest, most of Animaniacs has not held up very well. There are still quite a few good skits, but too many of them are either too dated, too annoying, or simply BAD. Still, the three that stick out in my mind the most are:

Katie Kaboom: It's been covered by everyone else in this thread already. It was a lame joke, repeated across several sketches, with almost no attempt to actually alter it. The facade was a bit different each time, but that was about it.

Chicken Boo: Again, lame joke, repeated ad nauseum. It felt less like an actual skit, and more like filler. The kind of filler you dig out of trash cans behind that run-down Italian restaurant, the one that smells of rotten fish and skewered...um...sorry.

Buttons and Mindy: The skits themselves weren't terrible per se, but there was an underlying issue with the show. It rather quickly devolved from a standard "battered babysitter" story, to "let's see how much we can torture the dog." The ending of each short (where Buttons gets punished for some minor misdemeanor, while Mindy gets off scott-free) just twists the knife further.