1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Who are you least favourite Animaniacs Characters?

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Dr. Toonhattan, Dec 22, 2009.

?

least favourite Animaniacs Characters?

1. Buttons and Mindy

13 vote(s)
    21.3%
  2. Chicken Boo

13 vote(s)
    21.3%
  3. Good Idea Bad Idea

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The Goodfeathers

8 vote(s)
    13.1%
  5. The Hip Hippos

31 vote(s)
    50.8%
  6. Katie Ka-Boom

23 vote(s)
    37.7%
  7. Mime Time

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  8. Minerva Mink

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  9. Pinky and the Brain

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  10. Rita and Runt

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  11. Slappy Squirrel

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  12. The Warners

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dr. Toonhattan

There’s been a lot of talk about who peoples’ least favourite Animaniacs characters are, so I thought I’d make a poll so we can see the overall trend.

So, please vote for your LEAST favourite Segments in Animaniacs.

2. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Goodfeathers: Some of the early shorts were OK, but the last above average one was Raging Bird. After that, the segments just started slipping. The plots were weak and the jokes weren't nearly as funny; plus, that Joe Pesci Goodfellas routine was repeated ad nausea.

The Hip Hippos: The characters simply weren't that appealing, and when you don't like the protagonists, the stories can only go downhill from there.

Mindy & Buttons: Just very, very repetitive. And again, I didn't find the characters very appealing. They just annoyed me.

Katie Ka-Boom: As mentioned in the other thread, it was the same ding-blasted routine over and over again. Whenever I had to hear that "I am not overreacting! I'm a teenager!" line, I instinctively reached for the ol' remote. Katie might have made for an amusing one-shot, but she overstayed her welcome.

Rita & Runt: Some of the R&R's were all right, but a good many of them just bored me. It seemed to me like Warner was trying to emulate Disney or Don Bluth with R&R, with the vagabond animals and all the singing. At least that was the impression that I got.

3. Fifi Fanatic

Fifi Fanatic Certified Skunkologist

My lone vote goes to poor ol' Katie Ka-Boom, for the reasons already stated in the other thread. A cartoon that follows a set formula or does a variation on the same joke every time is not necessarily bad... except when the joke is just not funny. Even the Hippos could be okay when Gena Embryo was around, but poor ol' Katie was just a total strikeout.

And I don't care what anybody says, I loved seeing Buttons get knocked on his keaster! He is truly the Wile E. Coyote of Animaniacs. :D

4. cartoonscartoons

cartoonscartoons I cant help it, if I'm lucky

Buttons and Mindy were the best!

The stories where always well written and designed. It does not deserve all the hate given to it.

The reason I write so big is because every time I come to thise part of the forums I see bashing on Buttons and Mindy and I finally could not take it anymore!

#4 cartoonscartoons, Dec 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2009
  5. Tom Ruegger

Tom Ruegger Member

shhhhh!

I like Mindy and Buttons too.
    But there's no reason to yell.
    Let's use our inside voices.

6. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

:^: Especially since there are some other posters here who have said that they're fans of Mindy & Buttons. (Just check the Katie Ka-Boom thread.)

So really, there's no need to shout.

7. dothesmartthing

dothesmartthing Me too.

I thought the Hip Hippos were second rate. Unfortunately, I don't have much to say about them. Personally, they just weren't at all interesting, comparing to the rest of the Animaniacs cast.

8. Tom Ruegger

Tom Ruegger Member

the lesser faves

I suspect the Hip Hippos are my least fave of the recurring characters. Their personalities never developed to any genuine depth. I recall a pretty good musical they performed early on, and I liked the cartoon they were in with Hercule ("No, fingerprints") Yakko, but beyond that, the Hippos were sort of in the way.

Basically, what happened: early in the production process for "Animaniacs," some franchises were working and jelling and taking off, and the ones that weren't were shoved to the side for a while. Once we turned our attention back to the neglected franchises like the hippos, we often found them less interesting than we remembered, or we were two wrapped up in the franchises that were clicking to focus on these lesser ones like the hippos.

We certainly never neglected the Warners or the Pinky and the Brain franchises. Slappy remained a high-priority throughout as well. The Goodfeathers were sometimes given less attention than they deserved, but Deanna Oliver and the directors worked hard to make sure they took off. Mindy and Buttons didn't always work perfectly, but thanks to Mindy's dippy relationship with her mom -- which we all loved -- and Button's ability to "take a licking and keep keep on ticking," we felt M&B's physical comedy fit nicely into the mix.

Rita and Runt probably could've been a bigger franchise had we focused more on developing the humor in their stories. The R&R segments had a lot of heart, some great tunes and some awesome performances by Bernadette Peters, but we never quite delivered the comedy in those episodes.

Finally, Minerva Mink. Her franchise was basically about sexual attraction. She was our version of Tex Avery's wolf -- with a gender flip. While we originally intended to make Minerva a regular part of the series, the (implied) sexual content made some people at Amblin nervous. Nor was Jean McCurdy wild about Minerva. After all, "Animaniacs" was an afternoon kid show, and Jean didn't feel we needed to make segments that practically invited mothers to write in with complaints. (We suspected fathers might not complain as much.) So Minerva showed up in a few segments, but often those segments were green-lit due to the strength of the story idea, rather than the presence of Minerva herself.

Yikes! I'm starting to sound like Pip Pumphandle!

9. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

The one Hippo episode I liked was the one with Noah's Ark.

10. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Let's see. I'll start by saying that I was never a big fan of Animaniacs. In fact, it was my least favorite of the WBC shows. Yet, I can't deny it has its merits. However, the show's big flaw is that the huge amount of segments made it impossible for a lot of people to enjoy the series as a whole.

The Warners
    was a very hit or miss segment. There were lots of great episodes but lots of pretty bad ones. "Chairman of the Bored" is hilarious, and probably my all-time favorite A! episode ever. Another favorite is the one were The Warners replace Plotz's secretary. (Fun fact: Jon McClenahan reused the "We're rich! We're poor!" gag from this episode in his "Fat Cats" short he made for Cartoon Network) It wasn't an 100% foolproof segment, but I could sit through most episodes.

Pinky & The Brain and Slappy Squirrel were my favorites. Definitely not many episodes on those that I disliked. In fact, the only Slappy episode I don't like is that one where she confuses an Opera concert with a ball game, but one bad episode is not a bad track record. "I Got Yer Can" is my favorite by far.

The rest of the segments all range from decent to bad, but I have to give credit were it's due. Buttons & Mindy was repetitive, but the various settings of each episode allowed for varied gags. Rita & Runt was hardly funny (even Tom admits they didn't focus on humor), but the plots were well thought out and they definitely had the best music. Similar situation with Goodfeathers which had a good share of episodes (The hiccups episode is pretty good). Hip Hippos at least didn't have a repetitive structure, and like Old Guy, I liked the Noah's Ark episode. Katie Ka-Boom and Minerva Mink didn't show up often, so I won't consider them regulars.

I think the only segment I dislike on all fronts is Chicken Boo. This segment literally is, the definition of repetitiveness in a cartoon. I honestly cannot think of a single cartoon out there with a more blatant patterned structure that the one this segment had. With all due respect to those who worked on it, it seems the only reason this one existed was to fill up time whenever they were four minutes short on a full episode.

11. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Hey....It's a freakin' chicken dressing up as people, and they don't notice! That stuff never gets old.

12. Psychopulse

Psychopulse Parting is such sweet sorrow

Animaniacs was pretty meh. The only three segments I liked were the Warners, Good Idea/Bad Idea, and Slappy Squirrel. Pinky and the Brain is overrated, I never really saw the appeal of those two. The rest are pretty much bland, exceot for Buttons and Mindy. I DESPISED those shorts with a passion to where I had to turn it to something else whenever it came on.

13. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

My only least favorite Animaniacs characters' segments:

Mindy & Buttons - I do love the two characters themselves which they were great & entertaining for the story with the whole "courageous dog protecting baby from dangerous obstacles" formula, but my only main gripe on the segment that I hated is when poor Buttons is always bashed at the end by Mindy's parents who're always harsh on him at times on every segment as much I feel sorry for poor Buttons:(while hating Mindy's parents.

Katie Ka-Boom - While seeing that thread already mentioned, I mostly despised Katie for the being the annoying bratty teenage daughter who mostly overracts & goes "ka-boom" to her poor parents/brother who I feel sorry for & gets no comeuppance while dating her boyfriend which she reminds me of Kelly/Debbie from Bobby's World/Wild Thornberries who I also hated:shrug:which I mostly prefer the good teenage daughters more like Jazz/Vanessa from Danny Phantom/Phineas & Ferb.The scary monsters she's transformed were pretty cool though.

The only character segments that I mostly loved are the Warners, Good Idea/Bad Idea, Pinky & the Brain, Chicken Boo, Slappy Squirrel, The Goodfeathers, Rita & Runt, The Hip Hippos, & Minerva Mink which they're hilarious & decent while the villains in it were funny/great as well.Cool that Goodfeathers parodies my dad's favorite movie, Goodfellas, with Pesto the Joe Pesci character, hehehe, and Minerva Mink is one of the best hottest female animal characters ever created next to Colleen & Lola Bunny.

#13 Radical, Dec 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2010
  14. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

If Chicken Boo proved one thing, it's that, aside from the sole dissenter in each sketch, the world is full of easily-fooled morons.

I do like the theme song, though.

15. Lonestarr

Lonestarr Stop eating my sesame cake!
    Staff Member Moderator

Likewise, if only for John Mariano's Richard Lewis impression (for the longest time, naive punk that I was, I thought that it really was Lewis).

Rita and Runt was pretty hit and miss, but this exchange earns it my undying respect:

(Runt has found a litter of kittens)
    Runt: "Rita, look! Puppies!"
    Rita: "They're not puppies, Runt."
    Runt: "Well, what else could I have?

It works on so many levels.

The Goodfeathers...again, hit and miss, but the movie parodies (esp. the aforementioned "Raging Bird") were a howl.

Buttons and Mindy...I think this is where my empathy for put-upon cartoon characters originated. Not entirely disposable (that one with the gag of the sailor chasing after "Green Bean" was good), but not a favorite.

Chicken Boo definitely has to catch one in the right mood. It can be funny or it can be torture.

Katie Ka-boom...no comment.

This stuff is very edumacational. Please don't stop.

16. The Spectre

The Spectre Member

Hardly Pip Pumphandle... This stuff is far more interesting than Walt Disney's incessant droning about money in the interviews on the Snow White commentary!

But if you've got anything to say about baloney sandwiches, or whether you ever met Don Knotts...

17. Captain Travis

the hip hippos were definately not the best and also rita and runt

18. JD08

JD08 Active Member

Pinky and The Brain: I hated this segment so much everytime this came on I would turn it the only time I would get real excited would be when the Warners would run through them.

The Goodfeathers: Boring I know it was a parody of Goodfellas but I didn't even like that. It's just something about Italian parodies that just irk me.

Buttons and Mindy: I could take or leave

but my favorites would have to be

Katie Kaboom: I don't know why such hate it was hilarious especially the parents reaction and yeah it was repetetive but so was everything else at least with Katie we got variety with freak outs I just don't get people's problems with bratty teens when everybody was one. I guess the people that were the worse hate seeing themselves.

Good Idea/Bad Idea

The Warners- They were the reason I watched the show.

Slappy Squirrel

and the little boy that would run in and out of the house and tell stories

I hardly ever noticed Mirvana Mink, and for that matter I never even heard about her till this year anybody remember her segments

19. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

It's not like if Richard Lewis had anything better to do. ;)

20. TenPoundHammer

TenPoundHammer Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune

Wow. I honestly thought I was the only one who wasn't a big fan of Yakko, Wakko and Dot or Animaniacs as a whole. I actually found a great deal of the recurring gags annoying (e.g. "Hello Nurse," even though she herself is cartoonishly hot; the theme song itself; and the wheel of morality, which I got teased about well into 6th grade for hating).

On the plus side, one of the only gags I remember from the few episodes I did watch was from a Goodfeathers segment (the egg going for an "egg roll"). I've also seen a Slappy segment or two out of curiosity, since I didn't stick with the show long enough to witness her firsthand, and I do like Slappy.

I remember shunning P&tB for some reason — it might have been because they did a Jeopardy! takeoff and I didn't understand the concepts of "homage" or "parody" at the time (which is also why I ditched Tiny Toon Adventures after maybe two episodes). I've since retracted my hatred of them, and darned if Pinky isn't cute. I could see myself buying the P&tB box sets on a whim.

I never saw Mindy & Buttons, Good Idea/Bad Idea, Hip Hippos, etc. in the short time that I watched the show, although I must have seen at least one Rita & Runt segment, because I remember an Animaniacs-themed dream I had several years ago that had a gray cat in it, and then spending ages wondering where the heck this gray cat came from — seems I've finally found my answer.

I also remember hating Katie Ka-Boom not so much for the premise (which I actually thought was kinda funny), but because for a long time, I hated characters who had the same name as others that I knew for fear of being teased (see also Doug "Nostalgia Critic" Walker and Doug).

Minerva Mink was another one I never witnessed firsthand, but a MM fan showed me her introductory segment, which I thought was decent. I think she's kinda sexy too, even if she is overrated among the fanboys.

Yes, my reasoning and logic were terribly flawed, but heck, I was 6 in 1993. I have a long history of disliking things for absurd reasons, until I go back and realize that they're actually good (e.g. Tiny Toons, Invader Zim, countless other shows I missed when they first aired). But not this time.