1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Saturday Morning block do you think is the most rated of a season?

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Dennnis Toppenberg, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Dennnis Toppenberg

Dennnis Toppenberg New Member

Which Saturday Morning lineup do you think got the best ratings for a specific season? Spit it out with your comments below. :ack:

2. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Given what I read in the Encyclopedia of Animated Cartoons and its lineup, it's easy to say that CBS had the best ratings for the 1966-1967 season.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the winner of the 1983-1984 was NBC, thanks to the Smurfs and a pair of big new titles in Alvin and the Chipmunks and Mister T.

3. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Kyupikon!

Fox Kids won out in '93 with Power Rangers, ABC did from '97-98 with One Saturday Morning, and '99 was won out by Kids' WB with Pokemon.

4. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

In terms of a couple of them:

Fox in 1993: I'd definitely would agree with you that Fox was the winner that year (as well as a good chunk of the 1990's). However, it would be a year before Power Rangers had a strong effect for them on Saturdays due to them underestimating how popular the show was going to be (they originally assumed that it wasn't going to find an audience and broadcasted the show on either weekday morning or the 2:00 PM hour, depending on location, during its first season), with the big ratings-grabber for them on Saturdays being X-Men.

ABC in 1997-1998: I strongly disagree that ABC was the ratings winner that year. The reason for this: around the time One Saturday Morning debuted, Saturday Morning blocks were pretty much "dead" on the Big Three networks, and while ABC still had a full Saturday Morning block around that time, some markets (such as the Washington D.C. area) opted to broadcast local news instead, while airing the main shows on the block the following Saturday during the 6:00-8:00AM hours.

5. superdude

superdude king of cool

I remeber that CBS wan the ratings race for several years during the late 80s-early/mid 90s with heavy-hitters like Garfield, TMNT, Back to the Future and later Disney's Little Mermaid and Aladdin.

6. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

I could definitely see that happening, with a lot of success coming not only from its lineup of shows (which could easily attracts both viewers young and old), but also, unless the show was in its last legs (with a move happening to give other titles a chance to shine), CBS kept their big hits scheduled at the same time slot year after year instead of moving them around the schedule. (i.e. Muppet Babies or Garfield during the 9:00AM hour, followed by either Pee-Wee's Playhouse or TMNT, respectively).

7. Vaughn B.

Vaughn B. Member

Screw those networks syndication's where it's at!

With The Transformers: Generation 1, G.I. Joe, Voltron, Denver, Dinosaucers, He-Man, She-Ra, ThunderCats, SilverHawks, The Marvel Action Universe, & The Funtastic World Of Hanna-Barbera!

WHAT?!

(Drops mic)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jean74

Jean74 Ready for Halloween

Cartoons in the 1980's all of.Great networks no matter ABC, CBS, or NBC. But if you had Bugs Bunny on there. It was a sure ratings hit!

9. meryalpes

meryalpes New Member

RIO Olympic 2016

• Like Like x 1
  10. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that's not a Saturday morning block.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Vaughn B.

Vaughn B. Member

Or Syndication?

12. Dennnis Toppenberg

Dennnis Toppenberg New Member

On the side note, personally to me, cartoons that hit big in the 80's, along with action dramas that rocked in the 90's, were the biggest things that ever happened to syndicated TV!

Oh, and don't forget The Disney Afternoon!!!;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Vaughn B.

Vaughn B. Member

That too!

14. Jean74

Jean74 Ready for Halloween

Really the cartoons of the 70's-90's were the best. Now it is all about violence these days!

15. Vaughn B.

Vaughn B. Member

Blame it on the FCC that destroyed it.

• Like Like x 1