1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Which movies and TV shows would you like to see on Disney's new streaming service?

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Elijah Abrams, Aug 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. nomoregroundhogs

Mainly I'm hoping for the One Saturday Morning cartoons. I haven't seen those in ages and they don't get released officially like the Disney Afternoon stuff for some reason. Recess, Pepper Ann, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, even Disney's Doug...

2. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

...yeah. That was predictable, to be honest. In my honest opinion, they're making a mistake by this. They really are. After all, if they're doing this, what's to say they won't prioritize that over...everything else (eventually, if not right away)? This service would be making the same mistakes both the Disney Channel and Disney Junior have made (Disney XD? That's another story).

3. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

I'm very nervous about this. It's because I've never try streaming videos before. i don't know if Disney Movies Anywhere counts as a streaming service. I was thinking to try netflix, but since I've heard Disney going to have their own streaming service, I've might change my mind. Also, I've heard when you get account on netflix or other stream services, you have to pay every month. And I hope it's not too expensive even though I know Disney is a business company. I'm also nervous on what if there's an animated series I want to see but might be available on a streaming service. I don't know, I'm just a little concern, because I've never try it before, and hoping it won't be too expensive.:(

4. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Prioritize how? Disney's SVOD will likely be just like Disney Movies Anywhere, so there's plenty of room for all of their movies from all their subsidiaries.

Disney's streaming service won't start until 2019, so a lot of their content will be on Netflix (and Hulu) until then.
    And you and everyone else should know that even if you sign up for Netflix or any streaming platform, you're not locked into a contract. You can end your subscription any time you want, and go back to it anytime you want.
    I'm hoping to go into some form of rotation, where I'm subscribed to one or two streaming platforms each month. I'll be on Netflix and Hulu one month, and I'll switch to Amazon Prime and Boomerang another month. The point is to never forget you have a choice.

5. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Yeah, you can pay for the streaming service 2 months a year and watch everything during those months.

6. Mandouga

"Prioritize, how", huh?

It mentions both the Star Wars movies, and their (recent) movies based on Marvel Comics as well as "original" movies and series. I think they're making a mistake because what if they suddenly decide that people want to watch that stuff over the more classic productions (and I don't mean Disney's animated classic movies*; we're likely to get the occasional upload of those either way). In this way, they would be making the same mistakes their cable channels (again, mainly DISN and DISN-J with DISN-XD being another story) have made, like I said before. You said that this service should have "all of it", right? They could be putting themselves in a position where they decide to (in an extreme, worst case scenario) not to give the viewers any of it, except their more recent productions. It could end up being nothing more than a combination of the three cable channels in online form (again with the occasional Disney classic animated movie every so often). I've said this before, but if they're going to do a dedicated streaming service, it needs to cover the entire Disney legacy, including all of their TV productions*. I guess what I'm trying to say is, by adding the Star Wars movies, and their more recent Marvel Comics movies (both of which can be seen anywhere), and by adding "original" movies and series (which they already do for the cable channels), I'm a little concerned that they could be putting themselves in a position to make this new service essentially nothing more than those cable channels but in online form, and I'm kind of hoping that doesn't happen.

*I refuse to call it the Disney animated "canon", because that kind of cheapifies both the quality and the legacy of those movies. Also their legacy wouldn't include something like Kids Incorporated, since that was always a third party production that happened to air on the Disney channel from the 3rd season onward. I also mentioned this before, but we're not likely to see any of their "cultural" productions like the annual Young Musicians Symphony Orchestra concerts.

7. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Some wish list titles:

-The Walt Disney anthology series;
    -The Ewoks/Droids cartoons and the two made-for-TV Ewoks movies (if Disney got the rights to those as part of the Star Wars deal);
    -The Muppet Show;
    -The 1960's Marvel cartoons

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mandouga

The Muppet Show, huh? Would that also include the "Muppets Go to the Moves" special that acts as a sort of series finale for the show?

In that case, we may as well add the Jim Henson Hour (which includes several Muppet TV specials, plus the "MuppeTelevision" segments). as well. However, we shouldn't expect the John Denver Muppet specials since those are technically John Denver specials that featured the Muppets, and those may be owned by some other company (kind of like how The Muppets Take Manhattan is owned by Sony rather than Disney). Maybe we should put in Muppets Tonight while we're at it...

In all honesty, while The Muppets (including the word "Muppet" as well as Bear in the Big Blue House) are owned by Disney, they have a legacy of their own, just like Marvel Comics (which would also include the 1980s animated shows as well) and Lucasfilm do (which is actually another reason why adding the Star Wars movies and the recent Marvel movies is a bad idea, IMO), to the point where all three could have streaming services all their own. After all, all three existed long before Disney ever came along, although Disney's relationship with Lucasfilm goes back to at least the 1980s when the Star Tours ride was created...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jonathan Teka

Jonathan Teka New Member

I would like to see Going Wild with Jeff Corwin and Omba Makomba, as those two have never been avaliable legally for streaming, digital, VHS, or DVD. That would be great as both shows are celebrating their 20th anniversaries this year.

10. Mandouga

I just realized something else they could add: Sport Goofy in Soccermania, which is pretty much the prototype version of DuckTales (incidentally, Scrooge McDuck is voiced by Will Ryan here).

Oh yeah, maybe they could also add their animated educational productions, such as Scrooge McDuck and Money (with Huey Dewey and Louie voiced by The Mellomen), and Recycle Rex ("Recycle, Reduce, Reuse! And close the loop...").

11. Eek!Swimmer1623

Eek!Swimmer1623 New Member

This will probably not happen, but I would love to see Eek! The Cat and The Tick on there. Eek! is one of my favorite 90s cartoons and it holds up very well with having great pop culture references and I loved that celebrities would make appearances on the show. As for The Tick, it's a fantastic satire on superheroes and the comedy is genius.

12. Mandouga

You have to understand that the Saban/Fox Kids/Jetix catalog has a legacy of it's own as well. Heck, maybe "Jetix" should be brought back as its own streaming service (preferably non-subscription based; yeah yeah, it would mean ads, but still).