1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Which movies and TV shows would you like to see on Disney's new streaming service?

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Elijah Abrams, Aug 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Elijah Abrams

Elijah Abrams Just deal with it!

With the announcement, in my earlier post, that Disney will launch its own streaming service in 2019, which Disney/Pixar/Marvel/Lucasfilm movies and TV shows would you like to see on it? My pick would be the ENTIRE Teacher's Pet TV series, found and remastered!

#1 Elijah Abrams, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  2. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Prepare yourself:

-Mousercise (they could even have updated educational information in the event that some of it might be [34 years] out of date)
    -Welcome to Pooh Corner
    -You and Me, Kid
    -Dumbo's Circus
    -the Walt Disney anthology series (they could even use the "Walt Disney Presents" opening if they wanted)
    -All three Mickey Mouse Club series (1950s, 1970s, 1980s-90s)

Of course it may likely include the classic shorts as well. It's likely (IMO) that they might even include any number of their animated TV shows (i.e., beginning with The Wuzzles and Adventures of the Gummi Bears onwards).* Among the movies they could include might be The Brave Little Toaster movies.

Whatever they decide to include though, make no mistake. I'm hoping and praying that this service doesn't make the same mistake that the Disney Junior made. That is, if this service only includes the post 1996 Disney channel originals, I'm not going to be happy. Now, I know some of you are thinking "outdated", but the fact is, the shows I mentioned above are part of the Disney legacy, and we simply can't pretend as though they don't exist. I was kind of disappointed when The Disney Channel made little to no effort to acknowledge its 30th anniversary in 2013 (next year is the 35th), or so I've heard. Also, I'm hoping it can avoid one major mistake that the Boomerang streaming service still hasn't corrected: the inability to distinguish full half-hour series from individual shorts/segments.

In any case, I'm willing to give this new streaming a service a try. OTOH, 2019 is a very long time to wait...

*I don't want to say "The Disney Afternoon shows" because The Wuzzles, Adventures of the Gummi Bears, DuckTales, and Chip and Dale('s) Rescue Rangers all existed before The Disney Afternoon did. Oh yeah, The New Adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh (which is another thing they could have on their streaming service) was never part of The Disney Afternoon, so I didn't include it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

All the classic shows from 80's & 90's Disney Channel in addition to slightly more modern stuff like House of Mouse!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Pepper Ann: this is one of my favorite series ever and I would kill to be able to see it legally.

Recess: I remember wanting to watch it when it first came out on One Saturday Morning but I never really got much of a chance. By the time reruns came to Disney/Toon Disney, I stopped caring. I want to see it again for some reason.

Gargoyles: I remember liking it as a little kid but I haven't seen it in years. I know that it was dark and mature so I want to see if it holds up.

I know this will probably never happen, but I will love to see DTV specials (the music videos using Disney scenes) again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. D-nice is the man.

I wouldn't mind Seeing Teacher's Pet or The Buzz on Maggie on there since they haven't released it on iTunes, I would like to see high quality episodes of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

I never got to see those shows. But they haven't aired in decades, so they'll keep on doing that.

7. Elijah Abrams

I could also see Doug's 1st Movie, as well as Recess: School's Out, the Teacher's Pet movie, and DuckTales The Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp (the animated Disney features based on their TV shows) added on the streaming service!

Let's not forget The Emperor's New Groove (boom baby!), the classic Disney cartoons, and Raw Toonage!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Elijah Abrams

Hopefully, Disney can dig out that stuff in their GIANT vault!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mandouga

There's something else too: their classic (1950s, 60s, 70s, and a little bit of the 1980s) live-action films, including, but not limited to, the original Parent Trap (with "Hayley Mills and Hayley Mills"), the original That Darn Cat (which Hayley Mills also appeared in), The Absent Minded Professor (which was remade as "Flubber"), and its sequel, Son of Flubber, the original Shaggy Dog (and its sequel, The Shaggy D.A.), all of the classic Herbie movies, and the original Incredible Journey (which just has a narrator talking about what they're doing), if only because TCM just isn't the right place for those movies.

10. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Everything, really. That's the only way to make the service worthwhile. The animated films, the theatrical shorts, the DTV films, all their TV series, even all the Disney Channel Original Movies.

And I hope they include the Marvel (MCU) / Star Wars films too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Some to all of their TV cartoons that have yet to publicly resurface anywhere.

12. Mandouga

I just remembered. There is one other thing that this service could feature: the Disney Channel's music specials. It could even include the two Sebastian (from The Little Mermaid) specials that were also released direct to video, along with the Craig and Company "Toontown" special (which commemorated the opening of Mickey's Toontown* at Disneyland). On the other hand, the "Young Musician's Symphony Orchestra" specials might be iffy, since they did those every year. That, and this new service may or may not necessarily feature any of the "cultural" stuff they did (those specials involved classical music, after all), not to mention the "Going Home" specials.

*Which still exists. I checked.

13. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

Their entire library, of course.

Two shows I do want to see in particular are The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Phil of the Future.

14. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I think my generic answer to this would be "all of it." If you're going to host a streaming service, then host a streaming service and make the entire Disney library available for streaming. I could understand putting some stuff up for limited windows (essentially a revival of the "Disney Vault" concept -- "Go watch Moana now before it goes away for a year!") but I'd make those windows pretty small. It's not the world we used to live in when Disney would re-release features to theaters every few years or even the one where VHS/DVD/Blu-ray goes out of print.

But over and above that, I'd put ALL of it up there. The first broadcasts with Uncle Walt on TV. Old Mickey Mouse Club episodes. The Zorro show they have. All the Herbie the Love Bug movies. The Annette Funicello TV shows and movies. The entire Disney Afternoon. TRON Uprising and Motorcity and Wander Over Yonder. Plus any acquisitions. They never finished releasing the animated Tick on home video in the States, and I'm led to believe it was due to stress between Marvel and Disney over the Omnipotus character who was a Galactus parody. Well, hey, Disney...you own the cartoon and Marvel now. So put it all out there!

What do I want to see? All of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Elijah Abrams

AAAAH!!! Not the "Disney Vault" concept! I definitely don't want THAT in the service!

16. Mandouga

In any case, Ed, you mentioned The Tick. The Saban Entertainment/Fox Children's Productions/Fox Kids back catalog (that doesn't involve Maya the Bee, Power Rangers, Digimon, or Cybersix*) may actually be another story (especially; especially Saban's anime...productions*). I don't know if we can expect any of that on this service. We're more likely to see Jetix originals (e.g., W.I.T.C.H., Pucca, etc.), but that's still a big "if", from what I can see.

*I'm not sure "dub" necessarily applies, and it's a long story. That, and the rights have likely gone back to the original owners. We also can't expect "Maya the Bee" (which aired on Nickelodeon back in the early 1990s, at least; some episodes have a copyright of 1989), since a company called Studio 100 owns the dub rights to that one (the version Stuido 100 has is a much earlier British dub that Saban had nothing to do with, but still). Additionally, Cybersix is controlled by TMS directly, and of course, Power Rangers is with Saban Brands (including the Disney-era productions). Also, both Disney, and Saban Brands no longer own the rights to Digimon.

17. Carlos Gutierrez

Would anybody like to have the sled dog racing film "Iron Will" as a suggestion for the new streaming service?

18. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Crap, I forgot about all the Jetix shows. Those should definitely be added.
    All the Fox Kids shows Disney still owns the rights to should go up. Eek the Cat could finally be available via legal means!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. NeoplanDan

NeoplanDan Musical ZF

The streaming service will start internationally before US will get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

According to Variety, Disney will move the Marvel and Star Wars / Lucasfilm off Netflix to the service.
    Which is definitely more incentive for me to get it.
    They also say they're planning to create a few original movies and series for the service annually. I hope some of that will be animated!