Which Disney princesses do you think were illiterate?

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by BigFatHairyDeal, Feb 10, 2014.

1. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

My sister likes taking those Facebook quizzes of "What [blank] are you?" and she told me to guess which Disney princess she was. I said Belle, because Belle can read a book (I was right). That got me wondering, do you suppose any Disney princess is illiterate? I have my theories, but I think it'd be more interesting to see what you all think.

EDIT: "All were literate" is also a perfectly acceptable answer.

2. Hordesman

Hordesman slashor

Honestly, I see the Disney princesses as more avatars and role models for the eras in which their films were made than figures from the historical or semi historical settings. So my first impression is they're all literate because of that

3. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

Right off the top of my head, I know that Belle, Rapunzel, Tiana, and Snow White could read. I am thinking Jasmine would have been because I think in pre-Crusades Islamic world, just about everyone was literate. Not sure about Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, and Ariel but I am guessing they must of been.

4. SaneMan

SaneMan Active Member

I wouldn't be too surprised if Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty were illiterate

Also, what tribe was Pocahontas from?
    I do know that the tribes of the Iroquois Confederacy had their own system of pictographs, while the Creeks and the Cherokee even had an alphabet
    Not sure about the other East Coast tribes tho

5. LegoFan224

LegoFan224 Member

I think the only princesses who were illiterate were Snow White, and possibly Mulan, since women in China couldn't go to school, and I don't know if Arabia had the same thing. All the other princesses should know how to read and write.

6. Hordesman

Hordesman slashor

Mulan wrote several times in her movie. I don't know how much historical reality jibes here though. Like, Gaston would have to be nobility in order to legally hunt.

7. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 God Bless America!

I wouldn't believe Ariel would know how to read; Paper and ink washes away in water, and maybe Cinderella, since I doubt Lady Tremaine would give any form of education to Cinderella outside of how to serve and clean.

8. Hordesman

Hordesman slashor

Well, she could at least sign her name. Cinderella probably had some form of tutoring until her father died, probably nothing more than the usual education of an aristocratic girl of her time. http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Cinderella's_Father

9. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

I remember Mulan writing a cheat sheet on her arm for her test. Also like I said earlier, pre-Crusades, women in the Muslim world had a lot more privileges than in many other places. IIRC, Snow White read the names of the dwarfs on their beds.