1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Which decade of comic books do you consider the best or the worst?

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by AdrenalineRush1996, Mar 31, 2017.

1. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

The comic book industry would tend to split into these ages: Golden Age (from Action Comics #1 in 1938 to new incarnations of Flash and Green Lantern introduced in 1956), Silver Age (from the introduction of Barry Allen Flash and Hal Jordan Green Lantern in 1956 to the introduction of Darkseid in 1970), Bronze Age (from the introduction of Darkseid in 1970 to the end of Crisis on Infinite Earths in 1986), Iron Age (from the end of Crisis on Infinite Earths in 1986 to the introduction of Cable in 1990), Dark Age (from the introduction of Cable in 1990 to the comic book industry crash of 1996) and Modern Age (from the comic book industry crash of 1996 onwards).

Like as you can see the Eighties is considered one of the best especially due to Uncanny X-Men, New Teen Titans, Crisis on Infinite Earths and Secret Wars, while the Nineties has had good stuff but also had the Dark Age of Comics, especially that several comic book titles went dark and edgy in addition to the "Nineties anti-hero" trope plus the comic book industry crash of 1996 is what drove to Marvel's bankruptcy.

But anyway, which decade of comic books do you consider the best and which do you consider the worst?

But definitely not which era of comics do you consider the best or the worst.

#1 AdrenalineRush1996, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  2. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

I like how you broke up the eras. The "eras" are not he same as the decades of comic books (people tend to hate the early 70's material, but love the late 70's material).

I was basically going to create a similar thread, asking besides the 60's, what is your favorite decade in comic books? Because it's too easy to just pick the 60's as the best.

3. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

I guess i'd have to say the 80s (84-89 in paticular has a whole bunch of excellent stuff, not just Marvel and DC, but also good stuff from Mirage, First,Continuity, Comico, and other companies)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lorendiac

Lorendiac Active Member

I'm voting for the 1980s. Years ago, when I participated in a survey on "favorite comic book runs," I listed 10 runs, and realized, to my amusement, that 5 out of my 10 favorite long runs had all happened in, or at least begun in, the decade of the 1980s.

Of course, that might have something to do with the fact that the early 1980s was when I, as a kid, began collecting various comic book titles as each monthly issue came out . . .

5. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

The 80's sure did have a good amount of great comics from most publishers, I think that was a great period, and I also liked the 50s as well for being a slow rebound to a greater part of the comics.

6. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Easily the 90's even the books that are considering well regarded like New Warriors are not that good. The only book from the era I really liked are Tim Drake's Robin solo despite constantly changing and Young Justice but the fact that it ruined so many previously good titles makes it so much worse.

7. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

I'm in the 80's camp. Period.

8. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Probably the 90s are... in a certain way... the worst.