1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Where should I start in the business of drawing and writing comics?

Discussion in 'The Drawing Board' started by KombatMaster94, Dec 18, 2012.

1. KombatMaster94

Now, recently I have introduced myself in the Introduction Thread at this part of the forum, so hopefully you've seen my post there. My first topic for a new thread is the resolution to a struggle that I am facing right now. I have recently been told by my art instructor at the Animation Academy to self-publish my comics online. I don't disagree with him with that, but my dream has always been to make my own studios to create and house my creations. What's more, I am told that I have to work on other properties than mine so I can be recognized. So where can I truly start? Comics? Animation? Self-publishing? Whatever the case may be, I am hoping that my dreams are achieveable. I don't care how long or how hard it is, I will do it. Oh, and sorry for the misleading title. I am most likely to start in comics than anywhere else, but if you say I can start in any other medium, that would be nice. Thanks for reading.

2. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Try to focus on accomplishing one thing first. Namely comics. Personally I don't know how to make it as a writer for comics, but when it comes to drawing, you need a good portfolio of comic pages that shows you have a strong understanding of anatomy, perspective, panel composition and other art skills. To promote your work, post it on Tumblr and/or Deviantart. Go to comic conventions and show professionals your portfolio. They'll critique your work, and if they really like it, you can exchange emails, and get comic book publisher's contact numbers.
    Networking is the most important thing you should do in the business. It's not a matter of what you know, but WHO you know.

3. KombatMaster94

Thanks. I understand networking is important in animation too, but since I'll start in comics, I'll try getting to Marvel, IDW, or Dynamite with the portfolio I make to see if I can get it done. To you and everyone else who may answer this thread with advice like this, thanks and wish me luck. :D

4. StanleyC

StanleyC Guest

Hello KombatMaster94!

Breaking into comics is like any other business -- you have to work your way up. Your art instructor was right in a way -- if you publish your own free web comic, you become your own manager. On top of managing your art schedule and your page publication schedule, you also get into the marketing / advertising / promotion of your comic as well. All of this comes in handy when you finally get published by Marvel / DC and you are a well-rounded business man, not just an artist.

Comics is a business, a tough business. Working at Marvel / DC means that they spend oodles of cash on each book. This means that that book has to make that money back and more. Now take into account that Diamond Dist. takes a huge cut from book sales...now the artists, writers, letterers, editors and the production company are left with even less. That said -- would Marvel or DC hire a new artist that nobody has heard of and has never finished a 24 page comic, or an artist that already has a fan following for his/her web comic that has run 360 pages?

There is no one answer on how to break into comics, but I agree with your art instructor! Or, if you are the next Jim Lee, then Marvel / DC / IDW / Dynamite will hire you in a jiffy and you're on your way!

Best of luck in your endeavors.

5. Dukes

Dukes Guest

i am really interested in seeing your work i am also a artist from portraits to comic book characters and maybe will like to work together to get each others work out there please message me back thank you so much

6. KombatMaster94

Response

I am actually very interested in working with you, but I need to know your name and credentials before I show you my work. If this goes successfully, we will start a team to create various projects not only for comic books, but also for TV shows, video games, and even movies. I know this is a mouthful, but I had a lot of time to plan this.
    If you want to know me, my name is Robert Misirian. I aspire to be an artist and writer for comic books, TV shows (particularly animation), video games, and movies. I have never worked professionally, but I have had a good sum of formal training through self teaching and attending private lessons. The team I plan to start with you will be the genesis of this company, so please introduce yourself to me first before I show you my work.