1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice

When did Scrappy-phobia begin?

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Washu-Chan, May 31, 2010.

1. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

If I seem a little grumpy about Scrappy it's because I'm still trying to get through the Richie Rich and Scooby Doo Show DVD. Just watched Scrappy's Birthday and, gawd, have any of you seen it recently?

Our story starts with Scrappy having a birthday party at a picnic table and Shaggy telling him about his first birthday. Shaggy then starts to reveal a ridiculous tell that completely contradicts Scrappy's first appearance, putting Shaggy and Scooby at the scene at "St. Bernard Hospital" when Scrappy is born.

The creepy thing about the cartoon is, and I don't know if this was Scrappy's influence or not, Scooby and Scooby Dee have pretty much given up being dogs at this point. Scooby walks on two legs and Scooby Dee is wheeled into her hospital room lying on her back like a person. Everyone is also really off model a lot in this episode and the animation is bad, with some really obvious repeating backgrounds during chase scenes.

Anyway, the blessed event takes place and Scrappy follows the pattern that would guide him for the rest of his life by attacking the first person he sees, the doctor who delivers him and gives him a smack on the butt. Scrappy telling the doctor that he can't expect to hit him and not get hit back is actually a good joke, I admit, and the highlight of the episode for me.

The doctor names him, saying he certainly is Scrappy. Scrappy is born able to talk, albeit in a high voice even more annoying then his normal one. Insanely for a character that's always naked he's also apparently born wearing clothes, a bonnet and other baby things.

So, Scrappy runs about causes some mayhem but he admits to his mother that he's a little sad because he couldn't find anyone to play with in the hospital. Fortunately, Shaggy and Scooby have angered one of the bully characters that's in every episode. It's the flimsiest one yet, just an orderly who decides to kill them because they bumped into him and knocked some of his papers over.

Anyway, they've been running from this guy the whole episode and doing costumes and tricks and they run by the door to Scooby Dee's room and Scrappy decides they'd be fun to play with. So he gets involved and that leads to the bully beating Scooby and Shaggy so badly that they're both laid up in the hospital in traction with broken arms and legs.

For Scrappy, though, it was fun, so he asks his mother if he can travel around with Scooby and Shaggy. Remember, he's about an hour old at this point. She says "We'll see," which might be an attempt to try to hammer this cartoon back into the old continiuty by just making everyone become amnesiac about all of its events, or it might be implying that Scrappy starts traveling for them as soon as they heal from their injuries.

Then back to the picnic where Scrappy's cake comes and has three candles. He's probably three months old because three years seems like too much. Scrappy, for some reason, had not remembered that story despite being born able to talk and fight. Anyway, he blows out the candles and blows too hard and blows icing on Scooby and Shaggy's faces. Scooby Dooby Doo, the end.

So I know I sound like I'm nitpicking a silly cartoon, but I get that it's supposed to be silly. I just don't think it should be annoying and poorly done at the same time. Also, this is the Internet, and nitpicking silly things is what we do here.

Anyway, here's the question about Scrappy. Sure, he saved the show but put that aside for a moment and think about your own feelings for him. Do you like him, taken on his own? Is he a good character who makes the show better? Do you prefer the seven minute chase format to classic Scooby Doo?

2. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

It's only a cartoon! It's not supposed to be realistic!

I guess the original Scooby format was; and of course, this is so different. It's actually alot like classic cartoons from the 60's and before. A lot of people seemed to particularly hate about Scrappy his perfect speech. But again, they had obviously moved away from the attempted realism by that time.

•It's not Scooby Dee; it's Ruby Doo, Scooby's sister.

•How does it contradict "Scrappy's first appearance"? This is the only portrayal of it ever given.

•I originally didn't think much of Scrappy. Just the current fad, like Godzookey, Fang Puss and Baby Plas.

•I initially didn't like the 7 minute shorts, because I liked the group dynamic of the whole gang.
    It was as the mystery format was gradually restored, and then Daphne of all people (who was almost never with Shaggy and Scooby alone) returned, and then the visits by Fred and Velma; that I came back to the series. That same season, they replayed the 7 minute shorts, but repackaged as the "Scary Scooby Funnies', with a modified version of the New Scooby Mysteries" opening; and they played mostly the later ones which I had never seen; so I thought they were new.

That's when I came to like Scrappy and the comedy only format. I just loved how Scrappy would charge at some of those bullies, and take no mess. A lot of other cartoon characters could have used someone like that. (I think of Sylvester and other cat characters when dogs and others bully them, etc. back when these "hapless weak victim" characters were seen as so funny). It was a total departure from the way those things often go.
    Shaggy and Scooby were their same old selves, running from the monsters and wearing disguises; and now it made more sense, as it was no longer a full mystery with Fred and the girls in the background.

•I don't prefer it over the original, but I come to see each as having their own place in Scooby's history.

3. Shawn Hopkins

Yeah, I got mixed up with Ruby Doo and Scooby Dee. But it's contradictory because in the intro to his first season he shows up in that box and they don't seem to know each other.

I've also read that he appeared in an episode in the previous season as a non-talking puppy, but I haven't seen that one so I don't know if it's right.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns...onship-between-tvs-scooby-doo-and-scrappy-doo

4. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

He doesn't know what he's talking about.
    In the first season, he did bark, but he didn't only bark. He spoke just as well, but with Weinrib's voice with a Brooklyn accent.

And the opening sequence is not his birth, or even anywhere implied as the his first meeting of Scooby. He was born to Ruby, she gave him permission to join them, and then when he he got a certain age, he went and arrived to Scooby on the train.

5. KJ Styles

KJ Styles The Instant Classic

My sentiments exactly

6. Shawn Hopkins

No, I think what he's trying to say is that he had an appearance in the season before the "falling off a train" season. Don't know if that's right.

And I just don't agree with your interpretation of the intro. Scooby Doo seems pretty damned surprised, and Scrappy says "Hi. *I'm* Scrappy Doo." Not, "Hi, it's Scrappy Doo." He's clearly introducing himself to Scooby for the first time.

7. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

There was no season before that. The season before that was the one they call the "Third season of Scooby Doo Where are You" (Or the last "Scooby Doo Show" season), where it was the same old gang, before Scrappy supposedly ruined it.

I just think Scooby was just surprised at the box popping out of the train, in addition to being scared of the severe lightning storm. Perhaps he wasn't even expecting him, and was just waiting for a package, not knowing what it was.
    (Scrappy is really introducing himself to us, who then saw him for the first time!)

8. Washu-Chan

Washu-Chan Member

THE general population?

The only thing that it has done is that it confuses casual Scooby fans, as well as kowtowing to the so-called "true fans of Scooby-Doo".

I'll admit that I can tolerate Scrappy, and that he's the lesser evil of the Unholy Trinity (the other two being Jar Jar Binks and Wesley Crusher).

9. Cartoon-Buffoon

I love Scrappy-Doo! and i am a hard core scooby-doo fan. I wish they would put the dvds out of the old Scooby-Doo Scrappy-Doo show. I got all of them from itunes but i would love to have them on dvd. I dont see why people hate Scrappy when he saved the shows ratings when he was brought into the show. Sure it wasent as "dark" as the original Scooby-Doo but it had character IMO. He's a great character and people need to stop hating on the Scrapster! LOL :p

10. KJ Styles

KJ Styles The Instant Classic

I co-sign 100%

11. CoolCaper

CoolCaper New Member

I first saw Scrappy in Scooby-Doo And The Reluctant Werewolf. We'd gotten the addition where the VHS edition where they erased all evidance of Scrappy from the cover of the darn thing, so he came as a surprise. I was about five or six years old, and I quickly fixated on him. The movie scared the daylights out of me, especially Shaggy's transformation (I WAS five or six) Maybe it was that Scrappy, being the least afraid character, was what me, (of my family, the most terrified viewer) to admire him. And then he saved Shaggy and Scooby from a huge mud monster at the climax...I didn't stand a chance. I've been fond of him ever since.

• Informative Informative x 1
    #131 CoolCaper, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  12. PlanetofLinux

PlanetofLinux Cool guy

The main reason people hate him is because he is never used. The only time he was used was in the movie. That was it!

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

I wrote a blog a ways back that explains the real reason why the Scooby franchise went to the comedy format in 1980, and it has nothing to do with Scrappy. Said blog post now is unavailable (Moderators: Please help me out with that, ok?), but the idea was that the prime time special, Scooby Goes Hollywood, which didn't feature Scrappy, although it aired three months after his debut, offered a glimpse into what the franchise would turn into the following fall. Scrappy, then, is being scapegoated as a result.

14. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Don't know when it began, but I would like him more if he wasn't so small and annoying.

15. Jared DiCarlo

Jared DiCarlo New Member

Poor Scrappy. In my opinion, he's the most misunderstood cartoon character ever. Sure, he gets on my nerves sometimes, but those moments are few. As for the question posed by the title of this thread, I think Scrappy-phobia started in the '90s. Eric B's "The Facts on Scrappy" article covers this pretty well, by mentioning that "Nega-verse" website that was popular in those days, and I agree that that's where the hatred really spread from. Besides, I think Flim-Flam and Scooby-Dum are more annoying.

16. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

I really just wish they could simply just let Scrappy just a family member of Scooby, yet they still keep insisting he exist, especially in the SD movie where they really went far in turning him into an antagonist.

17. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

That goes back to what I mentioned before, using Scrappy as a villain was a way to play to the internet hata's, who were and presumably still are legion, unfortunately.

18. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

Why does everyone hate scrappy so much, he's okay, but not that much to hate him. I prefer a lot of scooby doo without him, but its nice to see a cameo once in a while.

19. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

I liked a lot the 1979 series because they were following the old formula but with something different.

Then when they got rid of Fred and the girls, and the original concept in general it was probably when the hate started.

The 1980 series just weren't Scooby Doo, the later ones had something missing, and with Scrappy being there it just didn't work.

20. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

Maybe cause the original concept was changed and people didnt like it. I dont think it was the character in general, but possibly because of the show itself, if there was change or something.