1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

When did Saturday Morning Cartoons decline?

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by VG_Addict, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not sure why you threw in a Yu-Gi-Oh! reference there. It's kind of confusing.

That's true. While Saturday mornings have often been seen as a time for kids to watch cartoons in the U.S., there are plenty of weekend activities for kids to do during that time too. Not to mention kids might rather spend time with their friends, family members or just want to do something else besides watch cartoons. There are a ton of video games kids could play with during the morning and then watch their shows later.

I honestly miss the afternoon blocks more so than the Saturday morning ones just because of how good it was to come home from school to watch some of my favorite shows. It was great.

2. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't follow Nickelodeon weekday premieres all that much, but kids nowadays definitely have the chance to get at least a similar experience with channels like Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon. I'm not sure if it's the same kind of experience, but kids can come home from school to watch their favorite shows, whether it be reruns or premieres, on cable channels. The only difference would be that there isn't a block wrapped around it specifically with bumpers and that's a pretty minor difference.

3. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Agreed. I have fond memories of U-Pick Live on Nickelodeon and Miguzi on Cartoon Network. After they were both gone they just felt like any weekend afternoon, instead of something special you saw after school.

4. Cottontail20

Cottontail20 New Member

Hmm.. for me, things definitely went downhill around the mid 2000s. So many good cartoons ended.:sad:

5. MikeDodgers

MikeDodgers Member

I threw a Yu-Gi-Oh! reference there because I still watch the anime (all 5 series) and I still play the game....15 years after the original series debuted.

6. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've been a fan of Yu-Gi-Oh! since DM was airing on Kids' WB, I still watch all of the series and I have played the card game, mainly through video games, but I don't know why you decided to throw in that reference. It had absolutely nothing to do what we were talking about, it was really random and confused me. It would be like if I tried to throw in something about the power of aura because I love the Lucario movie. I just don't know why you suddenly went from talking about the generation gag to Yu-Gi-Oh! terminology.

7. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Well-Known Member

I get it he's basically saying he's done talking so he "puts the card face-down & ends his turn" I think that was a creative way of saying that!

8. MikeDodgers

MikeDodgers Member

Thank you!

What I was trying to get across is that I haven't really gotten over the end of the tradition of Saturday Morning cartoons. However, I did find something to replace it, something you wouldn't expect....

PREMIER LEAGUE SOCCER!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That would make sense, but it seemed more random than creative to me.

10. MikeDodgers

MikeDodgers Member

Took me a while, but I think I've figured it out. I know there are streaming sites like Netflix and Hulu that stream Saturday morning favorites....but what if there was one Android/iOS app that let you select shows from blocks of the past to create your own Saturday morning block?

I call it the SATURDAY MORNING FOREVER app. Here's how it works:

First, pick a year (Goes from the 60s-2014).
    Second, pick a network (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX or CW (future updates will include cable networks)).
    Then, pick a block.

BOOM, You've got a Saturday morning full of cartoons!

The app will have a mix function, which will allow you to mix shows from different blocks to create your own block (not that some of us already do it, but this app will have no annoying ads to deal with before the shows start and is compatible with/accessible on SMART TVs).

Welcome to the age of technology.

• Creative Creative x 2
  11. MikeDodgers

MikeDodgers Member

I channeled my love of technology to come up with that idea (my first word was 'computer', believe it or not!).

12. meryalpes

meryalpes New Member

Sounds good

• Like Like x 1
  13. The Fart Man

The Fart Man New Member

I would say a few years after the birth of Kim Possible. Not that Kim Possible isn't a good show but that general laziness and copying format of cartoons became the thing, the animation declined rapidly and the good writing became secondary to really basic premises. So my guess is 2005, at least here in Australia.

14. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Grunge made an interesting video showing the many factors that killed Saturday Mornings.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

^ I'm not looking at that. But, their article didn't say anything that I didn't already know and even had a factual error.

"After all, it now had to be around 25 minutes in length, rather than the standard 22 minutes."

16. litefoot

litefoot New Member

From a British point of view, Saturday morning children's TV literally vanished from the BBC about ten years ago when they thought live cookery shows were the way forward. However, I lost interest about 1994 when the children's shows that featured the cartoons, went in a direction I didn't like (irritating hosts, for one thing). And I was about 16 then anyway, so I was losing interest!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tumblenerd

Tumblenerd Member

The Internet, I think, broke Saturday morning children's TV. When every kid can decide what they see and when they see it, they're not going to tune in at regular times to watch a block of cartoons and commercials.

Litefoot, do you remember Fun Factory? DJ Kat? I used to watch those.

• Like Like x 1
  18. litefoot

litefoot New Member

That was on Sky, which we didn't have at home, so I never saw it. I didn't really watch TV on weekday mornings. It was all about Saturday mornings for me. Going Live, and when that ended, the first few series of Live and Kicking. Getting a) two excellent presenters and b) they both gel well, really helped. This is why Philip Schofield and Sarah Greene, followed by Andi Peters and Emma Forbes, were good teams. Then for some inexplicable reason, Zoe Ball was picked to host Live and Kicking alongside Jamie Theakston. Theakston was fine, but Ball was incredibly irritating. I always thought his Ozone co-presenter Jayne Middlemiss would get the job. They had good chemistry. It was around this time I started falling out of love with the Beeb.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tumblenerd

Tumblenerd Member

Yeah. I'm from Holland, and Sky and BBC were just part of our standard cable package, so I mostly watched that instead of Dutch children's TV. Live and Kicking was a little after my time, I was already a teenager then, but I caught glimpses of it. I can definitely see why Zoe Ball scared you away, someone like that shouldn't be unleashed upon unsuspecting children. Generally though British Saturday morning shows were simply better, more engaging, more fun, than their Dutch counterparts. We were stuck with a Zoe Ball and a male Zoe Ball.

20. TMC1982

TMC1982 Active Member

Largely, Saturday morning programming doesn't provide a lot of advertising revenue. Sure, there are some people watching TV, but mostly people are either sleeping in or going out and doing things with their weekend. So the networks have to find programming that is cheap to produce (or cheap to own the syndication rights to) because they aren't going to get big advertising bucks from that time slot.

A big factor for why this came to be is the FCC and Children's Television Act of 1990. It required broadcasters to provide at least 3 hours of educational or instructional programming per week between the hours of 7 AM and 10 PM. Further, advertising of products that tied directly to shows being aired was banned.