1. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

what's with the internet's obsession with the pre-school show lazy town?

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Mikurotoro92, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Well-Known Member

i'm serious

why is the internet SO enamored by this show?

specifically the song "we are number one"

how did this all start?

thanks in advance!

2. SparkleMan

SparkleMan Active Member

I'm a pro memer, so I'm the best one to tell this story. It started as a youtuber named Silvagunner uploaded a "video game song rip" to We Are Number One. The meme quickly spread as memers everywhere turned other Lazytown songs into memes as a result.
    Praise our overlord: 1481597355_preview_068f8a9897846991d4eb7b664c44783e_400x400.jpg

3. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 The Joy and the Laughter

Didn't know exactly how it started. Though I do know that it also has to do with a GoFundMe dedicated to helping Robbie Rotten's actor, Stefan Karl, recover from cancer. I don't really care for the memes, but I do like that it's been helping him and that he and the LazyTown YouTube channel have embraced all this.

• Like Like x 1
    #3 PinkiePie97, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  4. SparkleMan

SparkleMan Active Member

We are number one happened, THEN the GoFundMe happened.

5. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 The Joy and the Laughter

Ah. I didn't know it became a meme until after I heard about the GoFundMe. Though I'm guessing the GoFundMe helped it blow up.

6. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

I do know both (somehow) happened to occur around roughly the same time. The meme at the very least helped the campaign succeed like it did.

It helps that Robbie Rotten and much of the show's musical numbers are basically why people look back on the show in general.

7. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

I don't know. I remember when it was on Jetix and then it suddenly spread all over the place. As for the show itself, I find it almost more trippy and odd than Teletubbies.

8. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Don't forget that this show is almost 13 years old already. There are people who grew up with it.

9. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Tumblr. Robbie Rotten is spreading like crazy on tumblr right now, and once nostalgia gets a hold on something, it never lets go.

10. SparkleMan

SparkleMan Active Member

Tumblr is not the cause, and the Robbie's Dream Team ep came in 2014

11. thetellyweb

thetellyweb Well-Known Member

This isn't the first time LazyTown got the MEME treatment. A previous song "You Are a Pirate" was once a trend.

As for the show itself.... yeah, it basically became one of those odd kids shows that spawned some online trends. Pretty much everything before has been brought up.

12. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Don't dismiss tumblr and social media so easily. Nostalgia is one of the driving forces behind the spread of memes. It's nice that you know when and where this thing got started, which I might add is exactly what's written on the Know Your Meme page about the song. But I only said that the character was hot on tumblr at the moment amongst people my age. I'm knocking on 30. If we didn't grow up watching LazyTown, we had siblings that did, and get amused by it in a lot of the same ways that something like Fraggle Rock appealed to the older people watching that.

13. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I highly doubt many people know/care when the song came out. They grew up with LazyTown so it makes them nostalgic, whether the song itself is from 2004 or 2014, who cares.

14. Mr. Daniel

Mr. Daniel Back (but just occasionally)

The internet has had obsessions with other cartoons and live action kids shows before. But they usually come and go. Take the whole "Shrek is love, Shrek is life" fad back in 2014. It was huge back then, But does anyone talk about that anymore? Fads like these come and go. The only one that has stood the test of time is the Cory in the House anime meme.

15. RegularCapital

RegularCapital The Third Dimension

What I find strange lately is that Bee Movie meme, like that doubling speed video, every time the word "Bee" is mentioned, it gets faster and faster or that Bee Movie Trailer in Rollercoaster Tycoon video. Why do people do this? :D

I wish for Stefán to get well soon.

16. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Memes I guess. I don't do social media so I didnt know it was a thing.

17. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Not to mention the "Cooking by the Book" song and a meme involving Stephanie that is probably best not to talk about here. :sweat:

18. zajgrg

zajgrg Active Member

Why is anything a meme these days?
    Recently, I heard that the theme from Thomas the Tank Engine is a meme and that the theme of Magic School Bus is a meme, can anyone confirm this?
    And don't get me started on the wonderful videos I stumble upon for no apparent reason like for example: Bee Movie in BINARY, Bee Movie in Morse code, the Nutshack theme but every time it says Nutshack it's replaced by the entire Bee Movie script and so on...

19. SparkleMan

SparkleMan Active Member

Thomas Yes, MSB no

20. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Just a moment from any show and boom it becomes popular online, and yeah that is how it goes.