1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the best way to watch Star Wars / Lord of the Rings?

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by wonderfly, Dec 15, 2016.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

2 different franchises, but similar questions:

When you want to watch all 6 "Lotr/Hobbit" films, how do you do it? Do you watch the 3 Hobbit films first, or the 3 Lord of the Rings films first? And do you prefer Extended Editions or Theatrical Release Editions?

And I know we now have more Star Wars films to consider, but when you watch the 6 "Vader saga" films, do you watch them in chronological order (1 to 6) or in theatrical release order (4-6, 1-3)?

And I suppose going forward, when watching the Star Wars films, do you think you will want to insert "Rogue One" inbetween Episodes 3 and 4 in your viewing order?

2. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

I've never watched Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit, so I have no comment on that, but if I were to marathon Star Wars, I'd go from episodes 1-6 because I'd rather go in the same order as the events. For that reason, I'd also watch Rouge One between episodes 3 and 4.

3. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

For Star Wars, watch A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. Then watch the prequel trilogy, then watch Return of the Jedi. This way you're not spoiled by the surprise in The Empire Strikes Back, and you can view the prequel trilogy as a flashback, before ending it all with Return of the Jedi... then the sequel trilogy.

I think it should just be the main episodes, so you get a solid concise story.

• Creative Creative x 1
  4. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

I love the extended editions and to immerse myself in that world. I haven't watched all the way straight through, and have tended to watch bits and pieces here and there, usually when I find them on TV. However, I picked up the extended Hobbit trilogy when it was recently on sale from Amazon.com, and I already had the LOTR extended trilogy. So, at some point, if I am doing a marathon, it would be Hobbit trilogy first. I think that makes the most sense now that they're all out, and Jackson and his writers have so much in the Hobbit trilogy that connects with and sets up for LOTR.

The one time I did a marathon, I started with AOTC and went from there in order. Having seen them all, that's how I'll probably do it in the future, though starting with TPM next time. For a new viewer, I'm not sure which I'd recommend first.

I probably would. But, I feel watching the movies in order could be tough in terms of getting A LOT of death star between Rogue One, ANH, ROTJ, and TFA. I was annoyed enough watching TFA in the theater and having not seen ANH and ROTJ in a while. Watching them in quick succession...I wonder if it'd feel repetitive in the worse way.

5. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Part of me just wonders if the appearance of Gollum in "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" works best when viewed AFTER watching the LotR's trilogy. I have yet to watch "Desolation of Smaug" and "Battle of the Five Armies". I'm buying the Extended Edition of all three and am just wondering if the summary of the Hobbit at the start of "The Fellowship of the Ring" works quite as well when viewed AFTER watching the Hobbit trilogy.

I'm constantly thinking of these things in terms of viewers new to these movies (not that there are many of those). Watching the Star Wars prequels ruins the climax of "Empire Strikes Back" but everybody knows that plot twist nowadays. I think there's something to be said for LegoFan224's method of watching the films, as he mentioned above.

For the record, I don't "marathon" any of these movies very well. I couldn't sit through all 6 movies of either franchise. Here's what I like to do with the Lord of the Rings Extended Edition though: Think of it less like "3 movies" and more like a 6 part miniseries. Watch the first half of the Extended "Fellowship of the Ring" one night, then watch the second half of "Fellowship of the Ring" the next night, and repeat. I'll probably find myself doing the same thing with the Hobbit Extended Editions.

6. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

For Star Wars, I did the Ernst Rister viewing order (IV, V, I, II, III and VI).

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

7. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Star Wars I'm very flexible with but I think the best way to go is just the way it was released. Some of my older friends show their kids in that order, tho they don't care to show the prequels at all so it's up to the kids I guess to see it themselves lol.

LOTR is easy, just skip all those awful Hobbit movies and watch LOTR proper. I find nothing redeeming about the Hobbit movies and they add nothing to the LOTR watching experience. Thetrical cut as I've never seen the Extended editions but from what little clips I have seen, it doesn't seem to enhance it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

With the release of Rogue One, it will be interesting to see how this film will fit into the Ernst Rister viewing order if people wanting to watch the Star Wars saga do decide to incorporate it into watch list (i.e. should you watch it before Episode IV?).

9. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

For Star Wars, just watch the Original Trilogy. Skip the prequels and watch Rogue One instead. Seriously, now we have an enjoyable replacement for The Adventures of Whiny Sith Apprentice. I'm actually thinking of selling my old prequel trilogy DVDs on Amazon or something.

Depending on how the new sequels will turn out, I'd just consider The Force Awakens optional for right now.

10. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Of course, enjoyability is in the eye of the beholder (and as I mentioned in the Rogue One discussion, there's one major element in that film that ruins it for me).

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Anyone who has seen the original Star Wars will know what happens in Rogue One, so I would recommend that someone new start with Rogue. But since Rogue assumes you know who everyone is, what the Empire is doing in general, etc, there is going to be some confusion. Otherwise I like the 45-123-67 order.

As for the Lord of the Rings trilogies, I saw the first set but never made it past the first Hobbit. Watched it then decided Rankin/Bass did as well in one film than than three.

12. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Personally, I think each movie to be part of the story and worth viewing. No skipping in my opinion. If people don't like one of the movies, they don't have to watch them again. But I think if you've never seen them before, definitely watch all of them at least once.

As for viewing order, I'd go in release order. Since Rogue One just came out, I might tweak that. Maybe Episode 4, Rogue One, and then everything else in release order. I'll have to see Rogue One to find out. And I have no idea about the Han Solo movie when it comes out.

• Like Like x 1
  13. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

What would be your viewing order on watching the Lord of the Rings films? Given that this thread is also related to LOTR.

Agreed. In fact, I didn't skip the prequels when reviewing the films to prepare myself in seeing The Force Awakens as I wanted to judge if they as bad as what people think they are and I found Episode I-II weak (but not terrible) and Episode III better than these two though Anakin's wangst problems are still there. Like you, I rather not skip a film when seeing the films.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
    #13 AdrenalineRush1996, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  14. ZukoFan

ZukoFan Member

As far as Star Wars is concerned, I've only watched Episodes 4-7. Most people I asked recommended for me to start with 4-6 and backtrack to the prequels.

My feelings toward LOTR are complicated. I appreciate what the movies do from a cinematic perspective (costumes, special effects, music), but they cut a substantial amount of plot from the books. Granted, I realize it had to be done, since LOTR contains over 1,200 pages; the movies would have been nine hours apiece. Don't get me wrong; the films do a great job of summarizing the main events of the books, but to get the full impact of Middle-Earth, I recommend the books. If you haven't read the books or watched the films, start with the films and you'll end up appreciating both, since the films are an excellent introduction to Middle Earth. I find it weird that The Hobbit, which is shorter than any of the LOTR books, got three movies, while each of the LOTR books only got one film; I've not watched The Hobbit films, but I haven't heard great things from fans of the original film trilogy; I'd recommend just watching those three films.

15. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I watched them all and suggest watching them all in the order they were released theatrically.