What would you do with the lottery money?

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Peter Paltridge, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword! Moderator

Mega Millions is now up to $640 million, the highest payout a lottery has ever given away.

Possible consequences and the ruination of your life aside, what would you do if you beat the 1 in 8324578926028734 odds and actually obtained half of that dough (after taxes took the other half)?

I would run out and go buy a second season of Clone High.

Edit: Hey, we've got some hope; the odds are only 1:175,711,536.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012
  2. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator Moderator

Pay off all credit cards and medical stuff, get a new car, splurge on CDs and DVDs to get caught up, and put a whole bunch into a savings account.

3. spartanx54

spartanx54 New Member

Hmmmmm, get a car, buy a house, a new computer (A Mac) to be honest, I have a long list of things in my head that I would want, If i got 640 million dollars.

EDIT: I forgot.. GET ENROLLED AT HARVARD UNIVERSITY!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012
  4. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

I'd split my winnings in three. Keep one third for myself, donate one third to a charity (most likely the ASPCA), and give one third to my mother after she had already spent so much money on me as it is.

What I'd do with my portion is pay off any debts that need to be paid, get myself a new car, and see if I can go on a vacation somewhere. Then keep the remainder of it in my savings.

5. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie Moderator

I sold about $1000 in tickets today at a small station. Someone's going to win. :sweat:

I'd be taking the annuity, since I'd live to collect it all and I wouldn't have all that money at once. But I would still keep working (though not at the same job). Why? I'd go crazy otherwise, but I want to get a visa and live other countries for long periods at a time (and countries don't just hand them out to the unemployed).

Edit: Oh yeah, I'd give maybe a million to Penn State just so they'll quit calling me every night for donations. But it wouldn't be unrestricted. I'd mandate that it be used for Asian Studies and Women's Studies, the colleges that the least amount of football players attend. :evil:

6. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Gold-plated Xbox. Shoot, I can't remember what movie that was from. Google doesn't help, because apparently a gold-plated Xbox is a real, grossly materialistic thing.

If I had a big pile of lottery money I'd take my payout and I'd give the max I could give to my family as gifts, I'd give a big lot to charity to offset my tax liablity and to help charity, and put the rest it in some relatively safe investments. And then I would just do whatever I wanted to, because I wouldn't have to work. Maybe I'd be one of those millionaires that gets a ride on a Russian rocket or something. Anyway, fun stuff like that.

It's crazy that people get more excited about the lottery when it's really high. As if $40 million or so isn't enough to bother with. And your odds don't change at all, except that when you play it when more people are playing you have a better chance of having to split your prize.

7. Dudley

Dudley Moderator Moderator

Pay off my college loans, get an apartment for my sister, get my grandma's house fixed, and buy a house for me and my mom, and eventually one for myself. Give a little to help out a charity or a local orphanage, buy stocks in a few electronic companies.
    Years ago, I'd use the money to buy an animation studio or start my own to produce my own shows and movies, but at this point, I'd likely invest in an animated shorts program, so my friends from art school can get shorts made based on their own ideas for television, or for the internet.
    I'd also invest (a SMALL amount) in a publishing company to produce family friendly comic magazines in select regions. Sort of like an American Beano or Shonen Jump.
    If I can, I'd also have a few ideas for a couple of app games get made.

Or I could not do any of the last three things, and just live a nice quiet life making cartoons at my leisure.

8. Kindness King

Kindness King New Member

My mom is a lottery fanatic, so I've heard two different times today from her about what she'd do with the lottery. What she said was basically the same thing I'd do: give 10% to our church, give some to a variety of charities. One of the ones I want to give to is the United Negro College fund (I'm curious what their reaction would be since I'm white :) and yes, this is inspired by Mr. Deeds ;)).

Also divide it evenly among our family. Take some to travel the world with, or at least go on a cross-country trip around America itself, since there's so many places I haven't been to that it'd feel about the same as visiting a foreign country. :p The latter is what I would do though, she just wants a nice house somewhere near the beach.

9. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

Pay off my parents' house, buy Toonzone, pay for a new Dragon Ball animated movie to be produced based on Dragon Ball Online's backstory, sell Toonzone, ???, profit.

So yes, I'd be one eccentric rich dude (although I'm such a penny pincher as it is I probably wouldn't spend much past ten million).

10. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie Moderator

Ha, I'd probably buy some custom anime as well. I'd also probably whip money at Toei until they caved in and released Sailor Moon.

11. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

"Here's ten million Mr. Toei Producer. Get this in the works. Now." :p

12. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

I would definitely buy a house and a car for myself. I will also help out people that I know by buying them cars, apartments, and whatnot.

13. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Chaos Yoshi Mage The Lonely Raven

Pay to go to college somewhere I've always wanted to go, give a bunch to my parents to repay them for all the money they've spent on me, and once I was done with college, open up my own game/cartoon/media studio. Oh, and pay for trips to see someone really important to me that lives a thousand miles away.

14. dothesmartthing

dothesmartthing Happy's happy. Are you happy?

First I'll decide what charities I can give to. Then I'll go on a shopping spree, perhaps split the money with my family, and put the rest of it in my bank.

15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator Moderator

I would definitely give a large sum of money to my parents for stuff like bills and hiring someone to do repair work on our house. After all of the money they've taken out for me to go to school, it would be nice to help them out like that. I would give some money to different charities and use a small portion to go on a shopping spree. I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money on myself. I'd feel kind of guilty and prefer to spend it more on necessities. After that, I'd probably put the rest of it in a bank for emergencies.

16. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

I'd give some of it to my dad so he can fix his roof, my sister so she can pay off her credit cards, my grandma so she can get a new car, etc. For me, I'd get cable and Internet for my apartment, pay off the last of my student loans, maybe get some new sheets. Oh, and I'd buy a drawing table, 'cause I've always wanted one and my back is starting to hurt from drawing hunched over at the kitchen table all the time.

Chuck Jones once said that he never wanted to be rich, he was just satisfied with having enough money to live comfortably and do what he loved for a living. I'm pretty much the same way. :)

17. VictoryStar

VictoryStar "Here is your first present~"

Give some to my loving family, invest some of it, set up a plan where I only get 10 million of it a year so I wouldn't be me and blow it all in about 10 years. Oh and use it to fund indie animation for guys who have ideas but don't know where to go to get started.

And also probably do like a few of you said and make a few custom shows. :p

18. macattack

macattack I see you! Reporter

I probably would not be able to resist the urge to make my own custom show or two either :)sweat:), but other than that I would be penny-pinching and using only what is necessary to pay bills and stuff (and probably give some money away to Red Cross, Doctors Without Borders, etc.) until I know what my taxes will be. I don't think I would take the lump sum (especially if the payout was for a smaller lottery), I'd take the payments over time and save up.

19. Reserved Nutcase

Reserved Nutcase Too Nutty For the Nuthouse

With $640 million, and about 310 million people in the US, each US citizen can get about $2,000,000!

But realistically, if I won $640 million, I'd give $400 million of it to charity. I'd invest $50 million of it. Now I'm down to $190 million, which is still far more than enough. In my family of six people (including myself, the son), I'd divide $20 million among each of us. My parents will each get their $20 million right away, while each my 2 brothers and sister will get a little of the $20 million at a time. So after $120 million goes to each person in my immediate family, including myself, I am now down to $70 million. $25 million would go to my family in the Philippines, while another $25 million would be spread amongst my family members living in the states. Same thing as my immediate family, I'd send a little bit of the money here and there out instead of the whole deal (to avoid the fear of them blowing off ALL the money which they became over-reliant on at once and ultimately ending worse off than before). Now I have $20 million left, whatever shall I do? $10 million will be used for helping and/or giving gifts to friends (whom I will not tell that I won the lottery, unless I know I can trust them not to go berserk around me if you know what I mean), while the last $10 million will be 'emergency money' to prepare for the worst so to speak (which I would keep in a heavily secured safe, bought with my money :)).

But even if I win this type of money, I'm still going to stay in school and get a job, I'll wait till I'm old and feeble until I retire. I can sit down and do nothing for 20 years, but for 60-70 years? Nah, that'll be boring ;).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2012
  20. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney! Moderator

I could finally afford a drug habit!
    Not that I want one, but it always annoys me when ex-junkies brag about how much they spent on drugs.

What I would do is start a business to create the home of the future. Today!
    Focused mostly on making environmental and energy solutions affordable and available to every new home builder.

But it wouldn't be all work. I'd go everywhere by dirigibles of my own design and challenge other super rich crackpots to races around the world. Or perhaps play it cool and wait for them to challenge me,