1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

What would Nick do if SpongeBob and Rugrats never existed?

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Mikurotoro92, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

I'm not necessarily blaming SpongeBob or Rugrats

Rather I think the REAL one who ruined Nick was Dan Schneider

Because of the success of Drake & Josh, iCarly, Victorious, etc Nick has focused most of their resources on live-action sitcoms which could also be why they stopped taking chances!

In reality it was NOT the creation of SpongeBob or even Rugrats that made Viacom/Nick stop taking chances on new ideas

The moment Schneider was hired is when it all started to fall apart!

2. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Or it's because live action programs are easier/cheaper to produce compared to animated series and thus they could potentially get more successful shows without spending as much money on them. Plus, they probably wanted to get more kids who are into Disney Channel's live action shows with their own. Blaming Dan Schneider for Nick's problems is just as ridiculous as saying that Spongebob is a burden for them, especially when you factor in that he created All That. Considering that this was back in the 90's where Nickelodeon had some of their best/best remembered shows, saying that it all started to fall apart when Schneider was hired is a complete exaggeration.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Oh yeah, because they didn't totally have a lot of live action shows before him. (Yes they did)

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

I'm saying that the success of his shows has caused the network to over-rely on him

5. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

@Mikurotoro92 Firm in-thread warning NOT to delve this topic into yet another tirade against Spongebob or any other repeated complaints you've been doing for the umpteeth time.

6. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

I like SpongeBob

It's the business side of things I'm complaining about

In other words Viacom

Besides I wasn't even talking about SpongeBob

I was talking about Dan Schneider

7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I believe that you have made your opinions on Dan Schneider quite clear, so that part of the warning still applies here.

8. D-nice is the man.

If those shows didn't exist, as some of the mentioned by the comments earlier, some of the shows wouldn't have existed. You can't change the past, but you can change the future, (and no I don't mean in particular to the shows mentioned.) Besides, doesn't any popular show on any network that it airs wants to be a "cash-grab" by merchandise, additional seasons, and even a Movie whether theatrical or on TV even, Those Nicktoons made Nickelodeon more popular than it ever was and whether if it airs a lot or it's been there for a long time, much to some dismay. Eventurally, SpongeBob will have to end (or at least by the early 2020s) and they'll have to hope for a next big hit, and that's the case for all TV networks honestly.

9. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

I'm not saying I WANT it to end but no show should last 3 decades

There are probably other shows out there that need to die even more than SpongeBob however

I mean TV without SpongeBob would be dull

The truth is SpongeBob is actually one of my fav shows!

Whenever I'm watching some grown-up drama I find myself wanting to watch SpongeBob instead

My problem isn't the show itself it's the rabid fanbase who constantly puts down other shows like Teen Titans Go

• Funny Funny x 1
    #29 Mikurotoro92, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017