1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

What would Nick do if SpongeBob and Rugrats never existed?

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Mikurotoro92, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

This isn't an anti-Nick thread so don't worry

I honestly wonder how different the network would be without their 2 biggest cash cows

What if SpongeBob SquarePants never got green-lit?

Would they have latched onto another show like Chalkzone?

Would they still have game shows like in the 80's & early 90's?

What would change if Rugrats didn't get green-lit?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Action!

Action! Active Member

Nick popularity will not be as popular with SpongeBob and Rugrats.

3. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Way too much would change to even properly comprehend it. Most of the Nicktoons probably straight up wouldn't have even existed, and who knows how many other lasting effects that distinction alone would've brought.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, these shows are important in regards to the success of Nickelodeon. Without Rugrats being a huge hit back in the day and especially getting Spongebob when they did, quite a few cartoon shows wouldn't have existed. The channel itself would be significantly different. It would probably still exist, but it could be unrecognizable. It's usually the most popular among kids compared to Cartoon Network and the Disney Channel, but that probably wouldn't be the case if they didn't have huge hits like Rugrats and Spongebob.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

But it's not like SpongeBob & Rugrats are the sole reason Nick exists

They could probably have survived without them at least for a little while

I'm not saying that SpongeBob and Rugrats should have never been created but the channel would be better off right now without having that burden

Perhaps an even better question is: What would happen if SpongeBob and Rugrats never became cash cows?

6. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

I think the channel would have been different but not by much. When it comes to both of those shows popularity they did have a part in helping Nick have an identity but chances are most other shows could have had more popularity if these two weren't around.

7. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

Wait...are you saying without SpongeBob and Rugrats other shows could have become popular or even cash cows?

8. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

yes, that's exactly what he meant that other shows could be popular if these SpongeBob and Rugrats does not exist. Like Loud House could be more popular

9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

No one is saying that those are the sole reasons why Nickelodeon exist. The channel did exist before they got either series. However, they are the main reasons why the channel became as successful as it is. Rugrats was a pretty big and popular show back in the day. Spongebob is pretty much an icon at this point. You can't just brush off their impact on the channel when they're easily Nickelodeon's most successful series. They would have been able to survive without them and they probably would still be around, but the channel would probably be drastically different and that wouldn't necessarily be a good thing. Without those big shows, it could have affected a lot of other popular series that aired on Nickelodeon.

What burden are you talking about? If you're referring the schedule, they haven't aired Rugrats on their main channel for years, aside from the movies I guess. While Spongebob takes over most of their lineup, they probably don't see it as a burden when they still get money off of the show. Whether or not you like the impact Rugrats and Spongebob have had on Nickelodeon, it's pretty unlikely that the channel would be better off without them. They'd have less money and success to their channel's name, so that wouldn't be good from a business standpoint.

I'm not sure if there is much of a noticeable difference between that an the first question. Like I said before, you can't just brush off the success that both series had on Nickelodeon like it was nothing. If they didn't become cash cows, that would still have a pretty significant affect on the channel. Perhaps not as much if neither series ever existed, but without huge hits, that would still probably affect other shows Nickelodeon would have created and how successful the channel was as a whole too.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. SparkleMan

SparkleMan Well-Known Member

Haven't you already made a thread with this?
    Anyway, I think they would have stuck with Rocko's Modern Life instead of Rugrats, FOP would've been the SpongeBob, and they would've made Avatar the FOP.

11. Toon4Thought

Well, keep in mind many shows only get made because of the success of other shows, either with the network being willing to greenlight certain types of projects or the creator gaining a reputation thanks to their previous work.

Even the smallest of changes in the timeline can alter things much more drastically than you'd think, especially as time goes on. For all we know, it's entirely possible there wouldn't even be Nicktoons today if it weren't for them. There'd be a Nickelodeon, sure, but it's still worth thinking about.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

When I said "burden" I was mainly referring to the schedule and the very fact both shows became cash cows which I feel is a burden to the network because they made Nick stop taking chances on new ideas

However I think Dan Schneider is even MORE of a burden!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I had a feeling that you were referring the schedule, but I don't think burden is the most accurate term to use for that or for Nickelodeon not taking chances on new ideas. They don't have to put on Spongebob all the time on the schedule. It just works out for them because kids like it. Otherwise, they would have changed it more drastically ages ago. As for not taking on new ideas, I don't think that's necessarily because of their successes with Rugrats and Spongebob. That could have easily happened if they didn't have any huge successes too. If they were struggling more to find a hit, they may not have been willing to take too many chances in that situation either.

Regardless of the schedule issue or taking chances on new ideas, I doubt that Nickelodeon sees their two biggest cash cows, one of which continues to roll in the money for them, as burdens. The channel would be in a far in a worse shape without them. They might have stuck with just third party shows if none of their own content could become big hits.

14. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

The initial trio of cartoons ordered at the start of "Nicktoons" back in 1991 were "Doug", "Rugrats", and "The Ren and Stimpy Show". All three were popular, but it was actually "Ren and Stimpy" that was the initial pop culture phenomenon - due to it's crudeness, it was kind of like a children's "Beavis and Butthead" at the time.

"Rugrats" didn't become a pop culture sensation until around 1997 (or maybe 1996 at the earliest - interestingly, it was in 1996 that "Doug" and "Ren and Stimpy" got cancelled). Certainly, Rugrats was a sensation by 1998, when the Rugrats movie came out that Fall.

Without Rugrats...I dunno, maybe "Ren and Stimpy" might've extended their popularity by a few more years. But I doubt it, they became too "taboo" for kids. Someone above mentioned "Rocko's Modern Life" being more popular, I think that's the most likely scenario.

But without the success of the Rugrats movie, I doubt Nick would've gambled on further animated movies. Imagine a world where there wasn't a "Jimmy Neutron" movie or a "The Wild Thornberrys" movie...that would've been a shame.

A Nicktoons without "Spongebob", hmmm...well, Spongebob came out in 1999, and it was popular, but didn't really start becoming a phenomenon until 2001. "Fairly Odd Parents" probably would've gained more press and become the sole star of the network. Or Rugrats' popularity might've been extended.

But without the cashcow of Spongebob, and with no "Rugrats" movie, there's also the possibility that Cartoon Network totally defeats Nicktoons in the ratings, and Nicktoons just up and gives up on their animation studios.

But if they don't completely abandon their animation department, without Spongebob around, I can picture Nicktoons actually being more open to experimenting, and they end up acquiring and airing "Adventure Time" in 2010 (or sooner), instead of Cartoon Network ("Adventure Time" was originally pitched to Nick, in case you didn't know). And so, without Adventure Time (the cartoon that "saved" Cartoon Network), the implosion of Cartoon Network would have continued, with more "live-action" TV shows and more reruns of "Johnny Test" (and probably a continuation of the "Noods" bumpers) until they just cancelled Cartoon Network altogether.

I can picture all of these scenarios, though some are more of a stretch than others...

15. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

I think having 3rd-party shows would actually be better at this point to be perfectly honest

I like SpongeBob but it really HAS become a burden to Nickelodeon!

SBSP may not be the entire reason why Nick stopped taking chances but it's a BIG part of it

• Funny Funny x 1
    #15 Mikurotoro92, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  16. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

i thought you said live action Dan Schneider shows are a burden, so now you think SpongeBob is a burden?

17. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

They both are in different ways

Actually I'll even go as far to say that Dan Schneider is the reason why Nick refuses to take chances anymore!

They don't need to take chances as long as they have Schneider

Maybe this is also why SpongeBob is still around too

#17 Mikurotoro92, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  18. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

No, it isn't a burden to Nickelodeon. A burden is a source of great worry or stress. Unless it's stressful to make a ton of money off of one successful show and the characters from said show are practically icons, then Spongebob isn't a burden for Nickelodeon. And they don't have to worry about finding another huge hit. They obviously would like more smash hits like Spongebob to get more money, but they aren't worried about doing that when they can still get money from Spongebob. Not to mention they would probably be more willing to give shows more time to find an audience if they were worried about finding more mega smash hits.

As for having third party shows, that might have helped to make a schedule with more variety, but I don't know if that would be better in terms of the success of the channel. A channel running primarily on third party content is an out of date concept in this day and age, especially among kids channels where the majority of them rely on their own programs for their schedules. It's entirely possible that Spongebob is a big factor that the channel stopped taking chances, but I don't think that it's something that would only happen with Spongebob. If they had another show that was the same kind of cash cow that Spongebob is for them, it's entirely possible the same thing could have happened. Not taking chances after getting a huge hit isn't something exclusive to just Nickelodeon, so something like that wouldn't be just because of Spongebob either.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

Is it more likely that Rugrats is the reason why Nick stopped taking chances then?

Rugrats was the very first cash cow for Nickelodeon which led to other shows like SpongeBob

20. Toon4Thought

Considering countless successful Nicktoons came out during that time, that couldn't be more far from the truth. And in terms of cash cows - well, let's face it, most businesses require at least one or two things to fall back on if all else fails. In that sense, they are actually kind of good things to have. It's just that Nick seemed to set unrealistic expectations for other cartoons that came after, but you can't blame Spongebob for that.

• Agree Agree x 1