1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

What was your favorite action show from the post-Toonami era?

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by Red Arrow :D, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I am talking about the action shows from October 2008 - February 2010. (so about one year and a half)

Batman: The Brave and the Bold
    Ben 10: Alien Force
    Chaotic
    Chop Socky Chooks
    Gormiti
    Hot Wheels: Battle Force 5
    Skunk Fu
    Star Wars: The Clone Wars
    Storm Hawks
    Transformers: Animated
    The Secret Saturdays
    The Super Hero Squad Show

So reruns of older shows don’t count. No anime either. I want a thread about this era in particular.

#1 Red Arrow :D, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  2. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Wait a minute, why stop at February 2010? The "post-Toonami" era doesn't end at that point.

Going by the time-frame here, this is almost like asking "What were you favorite action cartoons in 2009"...

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Red Arrow :D

I did my utterly best to not mention the word "2009", and there you go, you even wrote it bolded... :sweat: :D I feel like these shows are barely talked about simply because once someone mentions "2009", people start ranting about CN Real.

From March 2010 onward, the channel started adding lots and lots of new cartoons. The network changed completely and I see lots of people talking about those new shows.

4. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Well, I find the post-Toonami action shows to be an interesting topic, because some of them where very good but they didn't get the support they needed.

I just think the "Post-Toonami" action shows era runs from October 2008 to May 2012.

And then the "Dying of the Action Cartoons" era runs from May 2012 to the end of 2014 (and no, I don't blame the return of Toonami). I don't think action cartoons have truly existed on Cartoon Network since 2015 (the meager output on Saturday mornings at 6 am doesn't count).

...but to answer you question, I greatly enjoyed "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" during the period you have listed.

5. mqg96

mqg96 Member

Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Ben 10: Alien Force are the only 2 shows from this list I cared about, and those were great. Some of the other shows I don't remember ever hearing of while a couple were really bad IMO like Chop Socky Chooks and Skunk Fu.

Here's a couple of LOL's though. I don't know anything about The Super Hero Squad Show but it looks like the Marvel version of TTGO or JJA. It's funny how you bring up Hot Wheels: Battle Force 5, cause I remember how crazy I was for Hot Wheels: World Race and Hot Wheels: AcceleRacers on Toonami back then.

6. Red Arrow :D

My picks: Transformers Animated and The Secret Saturdays

I have tried several Transformers series but this was the only one that really sticked with me. I always felt like there were way too many Transformers, making it hard to care about any of them. In Transformers Animated, there were just a few autobots and they all got plenty of time focussing on their character and their backstory. Man, the backstory episodes. They made the series so good. It was a genius’ idea to start the series with so few robots. I suppose I found Prowl the dullest character because we only got to see his backstory at the end of the series.

I also liked the focus on human. This made it less like an endless war between alien robots and more like an actual adventure. (I am not fond of war cartoons)

The animation style is rather odd. I ended up really liking to draw the Transformers. For some reason I like their cartoony designs. But the humans… not so much. It is supposed to be set in the future but those ugly ‘70s designs make me think otherwise. This is one of the very few things that could have been improved: the human designs.

I liked about every episode of season 1. The beginning of Season 2 was a step backwards. Adding all those new characters took away the focus of the main characters. This wouldn’t be so bad if many of the new characters hadn’t been so annoying. Sentinel Prime and Wreck Gar got on my nerves way too much. I know that was kind of the point, they’re supposed to be annoying, but it wasn’t executed very well. ‘Garbage in Garbage out’ was definitely the worst episode. (The only episode I would call bad) They made Ratchet crankier than ever only for him to learn that he shouldn’t be so cranky…

Luckily the second part of the season is much better, even better than most of season 1. Season 3 is definitely the best season. Too many awesome episodes to count. Three's a Crowd makes it clear how much progress the team has made throughout the series. Very nice teamwork.

The Secret Saturdays
    is just perfect to me. The adventures, the characters, the ongoing plotline, the weird "interference" lines you only see if you watch it in HD... Everything about this cartoon is awesome. Basically an updated Hanna-Barbera cartoon without the poor writing.
    This isn't nostalgia. I never gave this cartoon a proper chance when I was 12.

I am currently trying to watch Ben 10: Alien Force, but the show has got so many flaws, I can barely sit through it. The characters are so dull. It's like they're made out of carton. X = Ben + 2 was very funny, so I hope it gets better.
    What's that? :)

#6 Red Arrow :D, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Out of that list, the only show that I remember liking a lot was The Secret Saturdays. I haven't seen it in years, but I really enjoyed it. The characters were fun, the premise was unique and the adventures were pretty fun. It was an all around solid show and I remember being disappointed when it only got two seasons. At least they did have that crossover with Ben 10 Omniverse awhile ago, so Cartoon Network hasn't forgotten it, but I don't think I liked most of the new designs for the characters in that episode either.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Batman: The Brave and the Bold was my favorite of the bunch. I put it in my top 3 favorite Batman shows, alongside Batman Beyond and the original B:TAS. I love its fresh Silver Age take on the character, and the lighthearted tone makes it really stand out amongst its other contemporary Batman cartoons. When I venture outside of the main DCAU, The Batman and Beware the Batman are kinda boring in my eyes. TB&tB is the only Batman series outside of the Timmverse that really works for me.

As for the other shows, I stopped watching CN for a few years since it was in its downward spiral at the time, so I didn't really watch them.

9. Anonymoususer2004

Anonymoususer2004 Excelsior!

My favorite was Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

10. Alan_Gabriel

Alan_Gabriel Member

Either Generator Rex or Young Justice.Both were top tier action shows.

11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I completely missed Batman: Brave and the Bold being on this list the first time. I liked that show too. It was fun and was a love letter to the silver age practically. It was a more light-hearted Batman series, but it was still entertaining and it had some intense moments too.

I would include Generator Rex if the show was handled better. It was still an interesting show to watch and I did enjoy it to some extent, but I doubt that it has aged all that well if I rewatched it.

12. JPReckless2444

The Secret Saturdays, The Clone Wars, Batman: The Brave & The Bold

13. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Most of the superhero shows and The Secret Saturdays were some of the better shows at the time, typically because of how well were most of the stories and characters of those shows.

14. mqg96

mqg96 Member

LMAO I got my home row keys wrong! Or the double T's in TTGO made me add an extra J since 2 of the shows feel similar to me.

JLA