What was the longest Saturday Morning Block?

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Zorak Masaki, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Well-Known Member

By longest, i mean how long did the block run for? Looking at old comic book ads, i noticed that CBS still used the 1:00-2:00 hour in the 70s-early 80s (possibly into the mid-80s, though i know they ended at noon by the 90s) to show new shows (though to be honest, the 1:30 slot was either used for 30 minutes (news show for kids) or the CBS Children's Film Festival). Did any other networks go up to 2:00 or did they end around noon?

2. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

As memory serves:

ABC would have their block run to about 2 when American Bandstand ran from 1-2 (ET). Sometime in the 70's, this was switched when Bandstand moved up a 1/2 hour to 12:30 (ET), which is where it was when it left ABC in 1987. Once Bandstand left, ABC gave that space back to the affiliates.

NBC would close their block at 1 (ET). CBS, as Zorak mentions, had The CBS Children's Film Festival, which was cancelled, then brought back when 30 Minutes flopped, then cancelled again. Today's Litton-powered CBS block runs from 10-1 (ET), but can often be split so that some shows air on Sundays, at least where I am.

Fox unilaterally always wrapped their kids block at noon on Saturdays.

3. superdude

superdude king of cool

^^^ That is correct. I will add that ABC ended the network block at 1pm starting with the 1986 season when Bandstand was reduced to 1/2 hour for its final year. CBS curbed back to 1pm mid-way during the 1985-86 season. According to Wikipedia the lasts shows in the 1-2pm hour were repeats of Get-Along-Gang and Pole Position.

I guess there was a de-regulation of sorts in regards to the airing of college football which added to the growth of sports programming on Saturday afternoons.

4. TMC1982

TMC1982 Active Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Bandstand#Move_from_ABC_to_syndication_and_the_USA_Network

5. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Okay, that's when they ended - when did most of them start?

6 am, 7 am or 8 am, EST?

I know that, for instance, Kids WB started at 8 am EST, but prior to that, in the 6 and 7 am hours, they aired NON-Kids WB cartoons (stuff like "Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century" and other oddities).

6. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Well-Known Member

8am was usually the start time for the Saturday morning lineups, 6am and 7am were usually for syndicated cartoons or old reruns.

7. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Kids' WB! (CW) did have network programming at 7 (ET) for a time, expanding their lineup to a full 5 hours (7-12). I think the lineups in the central time zone started at 7 as well, but don't hold me to it.