1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

What was the longest Saturday Morning Block?

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Zorak Masaki, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

By longest, i mean how long did the block run for? Looking at old comic book ads, i noticed that CBS still used the 1:00-2:00 hour in the 70s-early 80s (possibly into the mid-80s, though i know they ended at noon by the 90s) to show new shows (though to be honest, the 1:30 slot was either used for 30 minutes (news show for kids) or the CBS Children's Film Festival). Did any other networks go up to 2:00 or did they end around noon?

2. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

As memory serves:

ABC would have their block run to about 2 when American Bandstand ran from 1-2 (ET). Sometime in the 70's, this was switched when Bandstand moved up a 1/2 hour to 12:30 (ET), which is where it was when it left ABC in 1987. Once Bandstand left, ABC gave that space back to the affiliates.

NBC would close their block at 1 (ET). CBS, as Zorak mentions, had The CBS Children's Film Festival, which was cancelled, then brought back when 30 Minutes flopped, then cancelled again. Today's Litton-powered CBS block runs from 10-1 (ET), but can often be split so that some shows air on Sundays, at least where I am.

Fox unilaterally always wrapped their kids block at noon on Saturdays.

3. superdude

superdude king of cool

^^^ That is correct. I will add that ABC ended the network block at 1pm starting with the 1986 season when Bandstand was reduced to 1/2 hour for its final year. CBS curbed back to 1pm mid-way during the 1985-86 season. According to Wikipedia the lasts shows in the 1-2pm hour were repeats of Get-Along-Gang and Pole Position.

I guess there was a de-regulation of sorts in regards to the airing of college football which added to the growth of sports programming on Saturday afternoons.

4. TMC1982

TMC1982 Active Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Bandstand#Move_from_ABC_to_syndication_and_the_USA_Network

5. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Okay, that's when they ended - when did most of them start?

6 am, 7 am or 8 am, EST?

I know that, for instance, Kids WB started at 8 am EST, but prior to that, in the 6 and 7 am hours, they aired NON-Kids WB cartoons (stuff like "Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century" and other oddities).