What was the largest sword in history?

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Chimera, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Chimera

Chimera Shazbot

I'm sick of arguing with people (who get all of their weapon information from anime) about this, and not having a specific example to prove them wrong. I'm not talking about individuals or decorations, just real weapons that were employed by real people at some point in our World's history of warfare. Can someone help?

2. Artimus Gigan

Artimus Gigan Aeris Fries

Well I know the largest gun ever employed in combat

The German's in 1942 used a gun with an 80cm calibur and a 28.87-m barrel

it was manufactured by Krupp it measured 141 feet in length when fully assembled and weighed 2,963,000 pounds

3. Chimera

Chimera Shazbot

1. It was called the Paris Gun

2. Thanks for the input, you've helped tremendously

4. Artimus Gigan

Alrighty and I found the name of the supposed largest sword ever

it's a two handed sword callled a "lowlander" and was made in Scotland

5. Chimera

Chimera Shazbot

http://www.gothicfantasy.com/Swords/13Z2065.htm

This thing is thought to have been six feet long... But it does have a disproportionatley large handle (20'' to a blade length of 48'').

A Google search for the sword didn't mention it being the largest, though. Did you know that from a different source?

6. Artimus Gigan

I typed in google

"largest sword ever" and it came up multiple times

7. Chimera

Chimera Shazbot

I searched for phrases like as "largest sword in history" and "biggest sword ever used."

I suppose I should be more direct when it comes to the 'net.

8. Mog

Mog -_-

Yes, I know what some people are going to say, but I'm being totally serious. You know that weapon Sanosuke used in RK? Those existed, only they looked nothing like the anime version. They were around 6'7" long, and looked more like a Katana. The blade to handle ratio was 3/1, just to support the weight. They were used against calvary, but they too big and slow to use and were discarded. It was originally created in China and used a different name. It's literal name is the "Horse Slaying Sword."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanbatouhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanbatou

However, I have no idea what the Scottish made and used, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had made a bigger and longer sword since they were a much stronger nation than Japan and China in terms of physical strength.

9. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

I'm not to sure but I think some forms of Chinese executioner’s swords were pretty huge, but they would be impractical to use on the battlefield (and things used on the battle field seems to be what your looking for).

As for the Zanbato, why didn't the Japanese "borrow" the Quan-Do(sp?) from the Chinese (and stick to it)? After all that weapon was effective at cutting a horse out from under a rider, and after they started making them with wooden hafts instead of metal they weren't too heavy.

And remember when your busy look cool with you big slashing weapon, I'm busy stabbing you with my gladius.

10. OverdrivePrime

OverdrivePrime Excess ain’t rebellion.

The German and Swiss mercenary group, the Landskschnets we also famous for their large swords which could compete with the claymore for size. These were known as Flamberge swords, and while usually around 5 1/2 feet long, were sometimes upwards of 6 feet.
    http://www.museumreplicas.com/imagelib/0500388_D_000.jpg

Eventually, these swords evolved into parade swords that were too massive for practical use in combat. These monstrosities were known as "Bearing Swords" and were primarily for a "mine's bigger than yours is" display.

The example on the link below is an impressive 7' -9".
    http://www.stephenwoodresearch.com/port/bru01.htm

11. Alex Toon

Alex Toon Tails wishes a happy 15th!

I think the Han Dynasty in China used their weapon, the Kwan Do. It was mainly a long thin staff of wood or metal,and at one end was a large carving blade with a featheron the other.