1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

What was one of the Jump the Shark moments on the Smurfs show

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Scoob, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Scoob

Scoob New Member

What moment do you think the Smurfs show jump the shark.

Season 5: The de-aging of the three original adult Smurf characters, Sassette/Puppy being added.

Season 6: Grandpa Smurf/Scruple joining the cast.

Season 7: Wild Smurf.

Season 8: Nanny Smurf/Smoogle.

Season 9: Time traveling episodes.

Which season do you think is when the show jump the shark.

2. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Well-Known Member

It's hard to decide between the Smurflings/Sasette/Puppy and GrandPa Smurf/Scruple for the big jump the shark which is the beginning of their decline. However they completely nuked the fridge with the time traveling season.

Also, what didn't helped the Smurfs was ABC with the Real Ghostbusters, CBS who beginned to have hits with Pee-Wee Herman, Bakshi's Mighty Mouse and Garfield & Friends hit the Smurfs' popularity hard.

3. Scoob

Scoob New Member

I truely argee with everything you said on here.

To me Season 5: de-aging the three adult Smurfs through Father Times magical clock and added the Smurflings/Sassette/Puppy to the show, was a very big jump the sark moment during this season. The show decline at the start of Season 5 and Season 9 is were things take a turn for the worst with the time traveling episodes.

#3 Scoob, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2012
  4. DarkGojira

DarkGojira What are you staring at?

To me, the Smurfs first started jumping the shark when those pesky little Smurflings got introduced in Season 5.

The whole concept involving to take three Smurfs and de-age them into younger Smurflings was, to me, baffling to begin with. But the main point is that their presence is unnecessary. Why are they even here? What is the point? Just... WHY? Not to mention that it was apparently a good idea that any of the other Smurfs not named Papa, Smurfette, or Brainy not get as much screen time as the Smurflings. And what a shame, because I was interested in getting to know the other Smurfs, but NO! All I see is the Smurflings for the UMPTEENTH TIME!

And Sassette was by far the worst of the bunch. She is perhaps one of the biggest camera hogs I've seen from any supporting cast in a cartoon. And I know what you're thinking, Papa Smurf has a majority of camera time as well, but he has an excuse because he's the leader of the village, and he takes care of his Smurfs. Out of all of the Smurflings, Sassette is the one that gets the majority of the focus. Why? Because she was created by Gargamel? Last time I checked, Smurfette was created by Gargamel as well, yet she doesn't get as much camera time as Sassette. She is not that interesting of a character, and it really annoys me that all I see on my TV screen is her.

I'm very well aware of the additional characters, as well as that abysmal Season 9, but, to me, the Smurflings was when The Smurfs started to jump the shark.

5. Mr Flintstone

Mr Flintstone Member

Oh, so that's where the smurflings came from. Didn't know that.

6. Fix-it Felix Jr.

True, at the time of Seasons 8, NBC cut the length of the show from an hour and a half (90 minutes) to just a full hour (60 minutes). To us, it looked like the show was on its way out. It had to compete with ABC's New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and the hour-long Real Ghostbusters, which were both hits in the ratings, hurting the Smurfs audience.
    In Season 9 (last season), with the show going up against ratings hit like the hour-long Garfield and Friends, hour-long The Real Ghostbusters and Beetlejuice; the show's audience, ratings and popularity fell hard by turn of the decade (1990), the same year NBC canceled the show.

7. Rabbitearsblog

I definitely think it was Season 5 when they introduced the Smurflings. Like others had pointed out, they pretty much grabbed all the attention from the other Smurfs and the storylines for this show were sort of dumbed down, compared to the older episodes where they actually have exciting adventures all the time.

8. Steve Burstein

I'd like to say it was the "Very special episode" when Smurfette's beloved pet mouse died, but maybe one could point to the moment they stopped using Peyo's stories from the comics and had HB people write them instead.