1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

What Shorts would you choose for the next Looney Tunes DVD?

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Uncle Scrooge, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

Nice planned set, however, there needs to be more shorts from the 30s, like the 30s merrie melodies. I like those to be on there. Also, I thought PC was on hiatus, I would love for PC to have more volumes and extend the series, but if they restored the shorts the golden collection way then maybe more shorts would have been able to fit on the DVD instead of double dip. Because of the double dip, the PC is low on sales.

2. A-Cecil

A-Cecil Member

That is just the beginning. For a possible Looney Tunes Diamond Collection DVD Volume 2 this would how the contents would look like:

Looney Tunes Diamond Collection Vol 2.
    Disc 1: Best Of Bugs Bunny
    1. Beanstalk Bunny
    2. No Parking Hare
    3. Upswept Hare
    4. Lumber Jack Rabbit (restored version from Looney Tunes Super Stars Bugs Bunny Hare Extraordinaire but in its original 4:3 format instead of the cropped widescreen format)
    5. Hare Brush
    6. Napoleon Bunny-Part (restored version from Looney Tunes Super Stars Bugs Bunny Hare Extraordinaire but in its original 4:3 format instead of the cropped widescreen format)
    7. Bugsy and Mugsy
    8. Person To Bunny (restored version from Looney Tunes Super Stars Bugs Bunny Hare Extraordinaire but in its original 4:3 format instead of the cropped widescreen format)
    9. Hare-Less Wolf
    10. Half-Fare Hare
    11. People Are Bunny (restored version from Looney Tunes Super Stars Daffy Duck Frustrated Fowl but in its original 4:3 format instead of the cropped widescreen format)
    12. Apes Of Wrath (restored version from Looney Tunes Super Stars Daffy Duck Frustrated Fowl but in its original 4:3 format instead of the cropped widescreen format)

Disc 2: Best of Daffy Duck
    1. Porky & Daffy (B&W)
    2. The Henpecked Duck (B&W)
    3. His Bitter Half
    4. Holiday For Drumsticks
    5. Muscle Tussel
    6. Design For Leaving (restored version from Looney Tunes Super Stars Daffy Duck Frustrated Fowl but in its original 4:3 format instead of the cropped widescreen format)
    7. Dime To Retire (restored version from Looney Tunes Super Stars Daffy Duck Frustrated Fowl but in its original 4:3 format instead of the cropped widescreen format)
    8. Cracked Quack
    9. Don't Axe Me
    10. Quack Shot
    11. This is a Life? (restored version from Looney Tunes Super Stars Daffy Duck Frustrated Fowl but in its original 4:3 format instead of the cropped widescreen format)
    12. Stork Naked (restored version from Looney Tunes Super Stars Daffy Duck Frustrated Fowl but in its original 4:3 format instead of the cropped widescreen format)

Disc 3: A Blast Of Sam
    1. Rabbit Every Monday
    2. The Fair Haired Hare
    3. Wild And Wooly Hare
    4. From Hare To Heir (restored version from Looney Tunes Super Stars Bugs Bunny Hare Extraordinaire but in its original 4:3 format instead of the cropped widescreen format)
    5. Lighter Than Hare (restored version from Looney Tunes Super Stars Bugs Bunny Hare Extraordinaire but in its original 4:3 format instead of the cropped widescreen format)
    6. Prince Violent
    7. Piker's Peak
    8. Hare Lift
    9. Rabbitson Crusoe
    10. Captain Hareblower
    11. Horse Hare
    12. Dumb Patrol

Disc 4: 1930s Musical Melodies
    1. At Your Service Madame
    2. Streamlined Greta Green
    3. Ain't We Got Fun
    4. The Merry Old Soul
    5. Don't Look Now
    6. I Only Have Eyes For You
    7. The Fella With The Fiddle
    8. Let It Be Me
    9. My Green Fedora
    10. Toy Town Hall
    11. Bingo Crosbyana
    12. Into Your Dance

Bonus shorts:
    1. Hare-Abian Nights
    2. Bonanza Bunny (THIS VERSION 1997 WB dubbed print)
    3. Pagan Moon (B&W, 1995 dubbed version)
    4. Crosby, Columbo and Valley (B&W, 1995 dubbed version)
    5. Devil's Feud Cake (uncensored)
    6. Shishkabugs (THIS VERSION 1997 WB dubbed print)

This volume contains fullscreen versions of the post-1953 cartoons already restored for the first 2 Looney Tunes Super Stars DVD sets to satisfy collectors who disliked the cropped widescreen versions of the shorts in both previous DVD releases.

#22 A-Cecil, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  3. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

These are already bonus shorts on select WB and Turner movie DVDs. I would recommend selecting one never before released. Also, is this WB 24 karat VHS print in PAL or NTSC,
    , because I have seen some videos in PAL pitch with NTSC speed and NTSC pitch with PAL speed?

I think its PAL cause the NTSC time is 7:08, however, I am not 100% sure.

4. A-Cecil

A-Cecil Member

That video of Fast & Furry-ous above is NOT from the Golden Jubilee VHS. Why? Because the Golden Jubilee tape version of this short has a cleaner look and has blue borders around the opening titles. That transfer above (with a bad red tint like an Eastmancolor print) could be from one of the later volumes of The Looney Tunes Video Show VHS tapes. The video above is in PAL speed and pitch, since it comes from The Looney Tunes Video Show VHS tapes (PAL release, not NTSC release)
    fast & furious_gj.png
    fast & furious_gj - Copy.png
    fast & furious_gj - Copy - Copy.png
    fast & furious_gj - Copy - Copy - Copy.png
    fast & furious_gj - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy.png

Actually, the Golden Jubilee tapes themselves have the cartoons in NTSC format, and not many cartoons are time-compressed for the sake of trying to fit 1 hour length limit set by the tape. Despite this, they are still able to fit the 1 hour length limit set by the tape. However there are some notable exceptions to this:
    1. On the Daffy Duck tape, only "Porky's Duck Hunt" is time-compressed due to the longer length of the cartoon (8:49) compared to the other Daffy Duck cartoons in NTSC format.
    2. On the Porky Pig tape, "You Ought To Be In Pictures", "Dough For The Do-Do" and "The Wearing Of The Grin" are time-compressed, since You Ought To Be In Pictures has a very long running time of 9:45.

The Looney Tunes Video Show tapes never had the cartoons time-compressed in order to fit the 1 hour length limit set by the tape, unlike the Golden Jubilee tape series (although only 2 tapes from the collection have time-compressed cartoons)

All those PAL speedups done on the post-1948 Looney Tunes shorts airing on Cartoon Network and Boomerang USA were actually the channel time-compressing the transfers themselves for time reasons.
    Even some 1988 WB video prints (a.k.a. LD prints) of post-1948 shorts are time-compressed on CN/Boomerang USA, such as Catty Cornered, A Bird In A Guilty Cage, Dog Pounded, The Egg-Cited Rooster, Guided Muscle, Boston Quackie, just to name a few.

Perhaps the reason why CN chose to time-compress the Golden Jubilee transfers more often than the other old transfers is mainly because of the history of the Daffy Duck and Porky Pig tapes in the VHS series being time-compressed to fit the 1 hour tape length.

And FYI, "Bonanza Bunny", "Hare-Abian Nights", "Devil's Feud Cake", and the 1995 dubbed versions of "Pagan Moon" and "Crosby, Columbo and Vallee" were never released on any DVD before. Now I had changed the contents of LTDC Vol 2, where "Hare & Loathing in Las Vegas" is replaced by the 1997 dubbed version of "Shishkabugs" (which has not appeared on DVD before).

#24 A-Cecil, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  5. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

You're right, i thought you said one step ahead of my shadow, nvm.

6. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

Beanstalk Bunny would go on the top of my list.

7. MTGM

MTGM Member

I'm retooling all of my lists for my theoretical collection. I will release them in due time; I think everyone will be surprised.