1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice

"What Powell's Throws Out" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I had a hard time with this (and you don't sound sure either). The school she goes to is named after an American, but in addition to Clover, Bleu uses "Ace" as slang, Adam Ant was more popular in the UK....I took the evidence on both sides and made the judgment based on which one had more proof.

2. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Me too. If liking comix like these makes me a hipster, I'm a hipster. Also, I guess calling them comix pretty much automatically makes me a hipster. I've also got the glasses for it, although I actually need them to see. I told Peter in PM already, but I can't believe books like this get thrown out.

Kochalka has done some really cool stuff. Have you seen his Legion of Superheroes parody that I can't type the name of here?

Funny article, Peter. The best part was all the "even KC" references in the book the kid made. Poor KC, they expect so much less of her than the other dogs.

Blue Monday is set in California, which is where Chynna Clugston grew up. The book is kinda an exaggerated autobiographical story and Bleu has a lot of the same interests as Chynna. And yeah, she did get divorced.

3. Kenji Murasame

Kenji Murasame Secret Agent

Hnnngh, a copy of De Idee├źn Dealer! It's a four-book 1988 comic from the Netherlands that translates to The Idea Dealer, and I would totally buy it off you if you don't want it.

4. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

5. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Cyberstealth MUST be an product of the 90s, where they put "cyber" in front of anything to make it seem futuristic (see also the PC game Cyberia, and the comic book Cyber Force). Speaking of comics, all of Elfquest IS online, legally, so it IS possible to catch up (have a couple of days free, as its ALL there). Those math magazines look so desperate to be hip (though i would like to read the interview with spielberg, and "a real life Indy" sounds interesting too. Finally, regarding Spiderman vs Green Goblin, Goblin has 5 (now only 4) lives left? One would hope that kid joins Marvel and somehow makes that canon, it would make the comics even more interesting.

6. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Always never quite right

"Super Mary's Brother"? "Croak-emon"?
    You'd have to really TRY to make gags that lame.

On second thought, you wouldn't, because if you DID, you could probably think of something better than "Pirates of the Carrots and Beans".

7. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

O.K. painfully obvious joke but here it goes anyway: "Ethics for Message Therapist": does that book have a happy ending?

8. The Nameless

The Nameless Demoted Regular

For some reason I kind of liked the very-90s/early-2000s covers of some of the technology books. Even though the spiky Trade Gothic on one of the web design books makes me want to roll my eyes, and the sight of ITC Officina Sans on the iPod application book made me laugh (I haven't seen that in regular use much lately.).

Also, the art style of Shenanigans's cover made me think of Clerks: The Animated Series.

9. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

"At age six I read a book about a fat kid who turns into a chimpanzee and swings off into the jungle (that was the ending, not the plot)."
    That was just the ending, huh? What was the buildup to that? And what is this book called so I can see for myself?

P.S. You asked who Ned Vizzini was in that same part. I later found out that he was the author of the book It's Kind Of A Funny Story, later made into a film.

10. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

If my memory's correct, it's called Jelly Belly.

And there is no buildup. It's just a thing that gradually happens. This kid is picked on for being fat, so he feels like he doesn't belong. I think 2/3 of the way through the book he meets the apes, and then he wanders into the jungle and starts swinging on vines, and in the last chapter he realizes he's somehow turned into one, and he thinks that's cool and he's much happier with the chimps, so....that's your ending.