1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

"What Powell's Throws Out" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Mar 9, 2010.

1. dlmx-13

dlmx-13 Member

A copy of A Million Little Pieces came into our store about a week ago (I work at a comic store that also sells used books - we take them for trade credit, sometimes cash) and I was kind of shocked that my co-worker took it in to the store - she informed me that the controversy still sells it.

And not only that, we also have a copy of The Legend Of Rah And The Muggles in the kid's section!

2. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Heh I used to have that StH book. If I recall correctly its a loose adaptation of the first comic book miniseries as opposed to the other ones which were SATam episode adaptations.

3. jeremy.patterson

This is the best installment of WPTO yet!

I especially enjoyed the bit about the Mexican comic books of Tom and Jerry, Woody Woodpecker, and the Pink Panther from 1994. It showed a major difference between the U.S. and Mexican comic book industries in 1994, as the Mexicans were more tolerant of books based on kid's cartoons, although all three properties did have comic books released over here by Harvey Comics during that year!

Jeremy.

4. mobo85

mobo85 This space for rent

"The story of World War II is told through the eyes of three Adolfs- the others being Adolf Kaufmann, a half-German, half-Japanese boy growing up in Germany, and his friend Adolf Kamil, a German Jew living in Japan. The plot revolves around the loss of a secret document that proves Hitler's Jewish heritage." For some reason, my mind keeps picturing a business called "Three Guys Named Adolf." ("Three Guys Named Adolf- Only One Of Those Guys Is THAT One!")

5. Kiddington

Kiddington tut tut

Regarding Hounding the Moon; it turns out that the author (P.R. Frost) actually lives in Oregon. That might explain why the book mentions Powell's, and how it also ended up in their throwaway bins.

6. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I already knew that from the jacket itself, which usually tells you where the author hails from. Also, she set all the events in her own neighborhood (she's in the Mt. Hood wilderness somewhere. Next time I head up there, I'll have to look for that tribe of amazons).

7. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

http://www.platypuscomix.net/fpo/survival/powells13.html

If you think I'm exaggerating when I call the last entry the WEIRDEST BOOK OF ALL TIME, you haven't seen it yet. I didn't even show all the pictures. The last box is actually blank, and the German caption suggests you're supposed to draw your own picture there. I'm taking this book with me to as many places as possible.

Y'know that Keiki cartoon I also promised around this time? All Part One needs right now is color and backgrounds, and normally I would have had such things finished by now, but EVERY SINGLE THING IN THE ENTIRE WORLD tried to prevent me from doing that today -- and succeeded. It must be a sign, because now I realize that if I put it up, I would have to find time to make Part Two in the midst of Thanksgiving chaos (and snow, because we're getting some). It would have also cut into your Misfit Christmas Special time, and you wouldn't want that.

So.....I have to put it on the virtual shelf. I don't know when it'll show up.

8. Blankments

Blankments The Sparkle Rises!

Heh, I remember in fourth grade my teacher actually read us that Monkey Island book. It was really, really, depressing.

Louis Sachar is indeed awesome. I will always love his books and Wayside School.

The weirdest book of all time is definitely the weirdest book of all time. I was laughing at pretty much every picture.

9. Cherry_Cake

Cherry_Cake Don't eat me

wow.I want the weirdest book ever for christmas.

10. Ganondorfdude11

I'm pretty sure that the weirdest book ever is in Dutch, not German. The Dutch are sort of like the Japanese of Europe. Everything they do is weird. The translation of the title, best Google can make out, is "Beings you still do not see." Makes it seem like a documentation of a schizophrenic's hallucinations.

11. Kiddington

Kiddington tut tut

I'm kinda disappointed to see a Louis Sachar book be tossed out like that. Granted, I've never read Small Steps myself, so I can't really say one thing or another about that, but I'm still a big fan of his other work (Holes is one of my all-time favorite books, and I love the Wayside series as well). I wonder why they didn't want it.

I'll have to give that one a try sometime. I remember almost checking it out at the school library some years back, but never did for whatever reason.

12. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Somebody threw out A Confederacy of Dunces? From what I understand, it's regarded as a classic of British humor literature, right up there with The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. (I also know that they've been trying to make a movie out of it for decades, but every time they do, the lead actor dies before filming can start. Seriously, they tried John Belushi, John Candy, and Chris Farley.)

I think I took that "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way" book out of the library once when I was a kid. My anatomy skills were abysmal at the time. The book didn't really help me improve them, either - I could only study it for two weeks, after all.

Just to let you know, I appreciate the shout-out. :)

...Wow, I've got no words for the Weirdest Book of All Time. Though I will say that any of those illustrations would make great forum avatars.

13. dlmx-13

dlmx-13 Member

I've seen some wonderfully strange books in my time (mostly collections of Outsider and/or drug-influenced artwork) but...the COMPLETE lack of context definitely makes that the Weirdest Book Of All Time. Well done. :D

And I can attest to the fact that there's still a demand for How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way. I'm as baffled as you are that they didn't want it.

14. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Whats odd about how to draw comics the marvel way is that all the comic panel samples are from comics from the mid-70s, despite the fact that comic art has matured (for better AND for worse) since then. You'd think they'd update it for more modern art styles.

15. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Funny article, Martianinvader.

If you put the Dutch title for "Creatures You Never See" into the Google, you get the Wikipedia page for the author. Interesting reading, even in Google's awkward translation that lists his early profession as "dog baker."

Also, I wish more current comic book artists would take their cues from John Buscema. Funny coincidence, but there's a comic on sale right now, Strange Tales II issue 2, that features a whole Silver Surfer/Spidey page copied out of that book and a prominent apologetic note saying it was. I thought it was funny and a nice homage. Strange Tales II features indie takes on Marvel heroes, like a Tony Millionaire Thor story. Good stuff.

16. dlmx-13

dlmx-13 Member

My favourite of those so far was from Strange Tales II issue 1, with Kate Beaton's take on Spider-Man & Kraven the Hunter, where Spidey tricks Kraven into going to a high school prom.

"I must go on the hunt...FOR A DATE!!"

"You shall not leave until tonight has been magical!!"

Classic!

That Jhonen Vasquez Wolverine story wasn't half bad either. :D

17. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

18. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

That last book, yikes,,i can only surmise that one of those girls was the daughter of a Powell's employee and they decided to try to sell it. BTW, if you ever come across a kid's book called "Its Amazing, Its Incredible, Its Terrible" (i think thats the title), then i reccomend picking it up. Its about this kid from the world of tv commercials who gets thrown into the "real" world. Loved it as a kid, and a lot of the satire about commercials is just as true now as it was then. Also, if you want to see more downright strange books, a good site to check out is awful library books. Its mostly non-fiction but it features books that are usually hilariously out of date (ie, books on the internet from 1995 and the like), as well as books that make you wonder "was there a need for this"?

#38 Zorak Masaki, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011
  19. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I have been lurking in the bushes around here but I love these articles. It amazes me what kind of weird books are out there. I wonder if that last book was something that someone donated in a box of books by accident. Like that girl's mom told her to clean off her bookshelf and take everything she doesn't want to Powell's.

20. dlmx-13

dlmx-13 Member

Is this a bad time to mention that I'm a big fan of both James Kochalka and Blue Monday? :shrug: I'll happily take all the other "hipster bait" graphic novels off your hands if you don't want them.

(I'm also still not sure if Blue Monday is meant to take place in England - I think it's in America and that Clover just happens to be Irish).