1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

"What Powell's Throws Out" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

http://www.platypuscomix.net/fpo/survival/whatpowellsthrowsout.html
    Yeah, I know, Chris....two updates to "For Portlanders Only" within a month's time and STILL no videos. They're coming sometime.

The below Scary News went up during the last update, but since then, they've used Chile to beat the horse even more viciously. This cartoon will only be funny if you've lived in Portland for a substantial period of your childhood -- then you'll recognize this thing right away.

[​IMG]

2. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Pretty interesting article. Speaking of that "i dont think im going to like this" book, i work at an elementary school (sadly, the books have to be part of the accelerated reader program so we dont get quirky stuff like this), and we have a book likely about the same topic called "when the new baby comes, im moving out" which not only is too long a title for a kids book, but sounds more like a lifetime original movie.

3. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Been spending time in the OMSI earthquake room eh?

4. Funky Al

Funky Al I ate the WHOLE PLATE!

I'm very, very interested about the kind of book "That Boy Ain't Right" is. VERY interested.
    I think the "Avatar is Ferngully/Pocahontas/Dances With Wolves" joke has run its course. South Park has said it. Chester A. Bum has said it. Everybody you know has said it. I think it's time we all let it die.

5. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

The guy who wrote that book about hating Pac-Man must have played the Atari 2600 version. I like Pac-Man.

6. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

Also, by the way, when you're volunteering, if you see #16 and/or #17 of a series of kids' books called "Barf-O-Rama" by Pat Pollari (pen name of Katherine Applegate!), please don't hesitate in sending them my way. I read these books when I was a kid (a weird kid) and wouldn't mind having a complete set. Sounds like something Powells would throw out. #16 is called "Fungus Among Us" and #17 is "Spoiled Rotten".

7. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

You know its funny how much junk I've attempted to pawn off to Powells over the years only to have it thrown back in my face. To see this kinda makes me understand why.

Damn I miss Portland. :(

8. TenPoundHammer

TenPoundHammer Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune

I think I read Ali Baba Bernstein. I recognize that cover at least.

Speaking of kids' books, I remember reading some strange ones in third and fourth grade. One was Marvin Redpost: Is He a Girl?, where a boy kisses his elbow and becomes a girl. Typical Louis Sachar silliness.

There were also How to Eat Fried Worms, Maniac Magee (how did this not get made into a movie?!), Jon Scieszka's Knights of the Kitchen Table series (awesome), The Chocolate Touch (everything a boy touches turns to chocolate), Be a Perfect Person in Just Three Days... wow, my teachers forced a lot of good stuff on me.

9. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

I really don't know. That's as close to flawless as a book gets, except for the abrupt tacked-on ending.

An issue of Disney Adventures mentioned a then-popular child actor read Maniac Magee and was so impressed that he immediately ran to a movie studio and said he would star in the movie version if it was made. ...Never heard anything about that again.

10. chdr

chdr Active Member

11. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Ah, the evils of Goodtimes Video. I already mentioned my easily duped coworker who thought The Frog Prince and The Princess and the Frog were the same thing. Are these the same unoriginal slugs who brought us such blatant Pixar knockoffs as Little Cars, Ratatoing, and What's Up?

I had that "Animaniacs" book that you linked to under the "Dragon's Lair" book. I bought it at one of many Scholastic book fairs at my elementary school; where it is now is anybody's guess.

The "I Hate" book is an oddity. It looks like a children's book, but it hardly seems kid-friendly (what kid cares about the guest hosts on "The Tonight Show"?).

If this is a cheap and easy way to get free books, I should volunteer at my local used bookstore. I still want to get my hands on the couple of Goosebumps books I never collected.

12. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

You can only volunteer at a nonprofit organization, and a bookstore is decidedly profit-oriented.

13. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

14. dlmx-13

dlmx-13 Member

I totally understand where you're coming from WRT reading and high school English classes. For me it wasn't the books we read, but the fact that we had to analyze the heck out of them all. Not only that, but we had to regurgitate whatever the teacher thought the book was about, not write about what WE got out of it. It drained all the fun out of reading for me and it was years before I could pick up a book again.

That excerpt from Mainline reminds me of the time I read William Gibson's Neuromancer (for those who don't know, this is considered the first "cyberpunk" novel). I've never seen such gibberish. I didn't understand a single word of that book. (And yet I read the entire thing?!)

15. Funky Al

Funky Al I ate the WHOLE PLATE!

No good adult lit, eh? You're clearly not reading enough Douglas Adams. And from what I've read of Kurt Vonnegut (Just Slaughterhouse Five) has a fairly no-nonsense/not completely serious style of writing.

16. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

I know what you mean. In 9th grade, I had to read some book in English class that was just horrible, and then present an analysis of it. When I said it sucked, I got a failing grade. Right about then was when I lost my interest in reading. Pretty much my entire personal library currently consists of comic strip collections, TV show episode guides, and Pokémon video game strategy guides - the closest thing I have to "real books" are my dozens of volumes of animation history books.

But really, what do I need "real books" for? There's more depth and substance in one "Calvin and Hobbes" strip than there is in an entire Dan Brown or Dean Koontz novel.

17. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

http://www.platypuscomix.net/fpo/survival/powells9.html

It's back once again. My favorite sight this time is the book jacket description that starts out normal, but then gets weird and just goes on and on, piling on more and more cheese with each paragraph.

Make no mistake, though -- I'm not recommending it, saying this is a "so bad it's good" thing. Only the description is funny -- the book itself is terrible.

18. TenPoundHammer

TenPoundHammer Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune

Easily one of your most interesting recurring features (besides your shinty-six zillion webcomics, of course). You sure find some weird stuff at Powell's.

Like Peter and probably most of us, I got kinda tired of reading because there just wasn't any interesting stuff. I tried reading Grapes of Wrath and Gone with the Wind in 10th grade to try and comp out of English class but I just found both so incredibly boring. My textbooks for a Civil War class and Michigan history? Okay, some of the latter was decent, but not the former.

Whereas I can read the same Far Side, Calvin & Hobbes, FoxTrot, Zits, Peanuts, etc. 9001 times and they never let me down.

19. Totally_Insaney

Totally_Insaney what is this? i don't even

"If you have fun you go to jail." Pure poetry. I love What Powell's Throws Out. The Adolf Hitler part cracked me up, among others. I love finding weird, obscure books and stuff at thrift stores and such. It's hilarious.

20. Kiddington

Kiddington tut tut

Out of curiosity, I decided to look up A Million Little Pieces on Amazon, and, amazingly enough, some people still want a mint for a hardcover copy (one was $70.00).