What makes Scooby Doo so popular?

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Zorak Masaki, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Well-Known Member

What exactly has kept Scooby Doo such an enduring franchise throughout the years? Kids who werent even born when the first series came out (heck, kids who werent even born when Zombie Island was released) still love Scooby to this day, so its not just Nostalgia.

2. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've watched a lot of cartoons growing up, and one thing I learned is that people end up falling in love with cartoons (and this applies to live action shows too) with a formulaic structure. And those shows and franchises last longer than others.
    Doraemon, Pokemon, (a lot of long running anime, really) Phineas and Ferb, Tom and Jerry, Wile E. Coyote and The Road Runner are examples. All these shows have episodes where pretty much the outcomes are the same, but what leads to said outcome is the most entertaining element.

In Scooby Doo, we know exactly what to expect, but we have fun watching it as we try to figure out who's behind the mystery by following the clues sprinkled throughout the episode, while also enjoying Scooby and Shaggy's antics.
    They managed to get a LOT of mileage out of that, more than any other cartoon Hanna-Barbera created. I remember when The Flintstones used to be the studio's biggest stars, but Scooby-Doo has now out shined them all. I think the reruns on CN really helped, because back in the day CN aired all the Scooby shows A LOT.

3. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Grape Groupie of Snoopy

I agree with Don Messick's (who first did Scooby's voice) opinion:

"I've loved Scooby from the inception, and so has everyone else. I think it's because he embraces a lot of human foibles. He's not the perfect dog. In fact you might say he's a coward. Yet with everything he does, he seems to land on his four feet. He comes out of every situation unscathed. I think the audience--kids and more mature people as well--can identify with Scooby's character and a lot of his imperfections."

4. FidgitStyles

I agree with that concept. Even with the addition of Scrappy and when they changed the formula to real monsters, it was still popular. Maybe not as much. While I love Shaggy and Scooby Doo Get a Clue, it was more for the villains then it was for Shaggy and Scooby who just came off as obnoxious in that series. A lot of hardcore Scooby fans felt tricked because it was Scooby-Doo in name only. Good, hilarious series, but it didn't do well because of the change of formula, or was it because 4Kid's took over the network and couldn't afford to keep it?

5. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I thought the show had great plots. Unlike many other mysteries for younger audiences, Scooby Doo generally had several people that could be the bad guy in the costume.

6. SF4Ever

SF4Ever Active Member

Don knew exactly what he was talking about as he was referring to Scooby. Nowadays with Frank Welker voicing Scooby-Doo, his popularity is only continuing. Still, it would be good for him to shy away from supernatural mysteries, at least for a little while and perhaps, be part of a Laff-a-lympics reboot, where his team of all-stars compete against both Yogi's all-stars and that of the Really Rottens, this time, led by Muttley, along with Dick Dastardly. If there's a Laff-a-lympics reboot, I could see Warner Bros. assigning both Spike Brandt and Tony Cervone as exec. producers with the reboot being consistent with the original Laff-a-lympics but with more locations for the three teams to compete as well as more contests, like airplane piloting to get one of their respective team's female representatives from a makeshift tower and landing across the finish line at an airport, where the contest would originate, a boat race along the Mississippi River, from Memphis to St. Louis, a race through a foliage maze or other new contests. Either way, there'll be more ideas for Scooby-Doo to come in the future.

7. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

Well, as I keep saying, "TV audiences don't want anything original. They want to see the same thing they've seen a thousand times before."

Although, it got a proper ending regardless, so I'm not too disappointed.

8. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

That's a horrible fact to live with. In the end the audience is like children needing consistency. Ratings shouldn't be the reason things should stay the same. This is why I prefer anime. At least they have more variety. Change is vital to all life even cartoons!

9. BeanoMaster

BeanoMaster Active Member

I think it's because it has more than one person who could potentially be the villain. Often, it would make you think it would be one person but it was actually another. One that does this perfectly is a What's New Scooby Doo episode, Roller Ghoster Ride.

10. MagicMagilla

MagicMagilla Guest

It's a venerable show with a good primary formula and multiple side steps it went to and can go to the well again with. People like formulas and like to see loveable characters continue on.

Scooby and Shaggy as the primaries are a two-man comedy dynamo. They can be put into a vast amount of situations and people will love them. They can also add little touches that still decades later there are still new fun ways Shaggy and Scooby can run away from a monster and make people laugh.

Nowadays though we got to deal with two very diverse ideals of what to do best with Scooby. Personally i find WB's dtv line far superior to CN's reboots. Which to be frank I feel is souly speaking to the people that never "got" Scooby Doo in the first place. The majority of people don't think Scooby needs to be fixed. And a lot of us hated trying to pepper it to a internet nerd fanbase. And now Be Cool seems drawn at least (and probably written to) CN's primary demographic for comedy. Doesn't work for me. I'm much happier we get as many new movies and specials each year which are just more fun adventures while hitting the well and making a whole lot of homages and references to the past. That's the Scooby of modern that's going to please people and I have zero doubts the series will long be running after the new CN reboot bites the dust like the last one. Scooby's still enjoyable and we buy it. So WB will have zero problem making more.

11. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Gladiator

Yeah, because anime never wears out clich├ęs or uses safe, formulaic plotting.

As for Scooby Doo, I think having a couple of successful live action movies does wonders for franchise's popularity. Really helps keep the series in the public's consciousness.

The fact that mysteries are one of the most universal and popular story genre's certainly helps. And while there's a glut of crime stories right now, Scooby Doo is one of the few that is intentionally very light and appropriate for children of all ages.

12. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Anime are just as dependent on ratings as Western cartoons, and they're just as prone to falling back on shopworn cliches and tired formulas. Stop generalizing, stop stating your opinions as facts and stop snarking at audiences for liking what they like.

As for the whole "anime is better because they allow change and never repeat the same formula ad infinitum" jive, Pokemon, Lupin the Third and Doraemon say hi.

#12 Silverstar, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2014
  13. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Scooby-Doo, by definition, follows the classic whodunit formula of using multiple suspects in order to test the viewers to see if they can solve the case before it's over. That aspect always works, although the general format has become shopworn. CN played the original series into the ground 15 years ago, rather than give Scooby a vacation (the Scooby-Doo Project, a Blair Witch parody, bombed because of the network's refusal to bench Scooby in favor of Funky Phantom, Clue Club, etc.), demonstrating that regardless of who's been in charge at CN, they don't have much of a clue about proper programming strategy.

14. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Yeah, anime never follows a predictable formula, except for the many cartoons from Japan that do, such Gatchaman/G-Force, Luipn the 3rd, Pokemon, Speed Racer, Yu-Gi-Oh!, ANY Super Sentai show (not anime, I know, but the point is nonetheless valid), Doreamon, Voltron, and others.

As for Scooby Doo, people apparently like the SD formula and predictability often equates to consistency, and fans like that.

15. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

I know not every anime is the same in fact there are some I don't like. Just saying we need more variety here. And I'd like to see other Hannah Barbara properties get rebooted as well, especially Johnny Quest.

16. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

...And you're not the only one, but that's irrelevant to this discussion. This thread is for discussing the popularity of Scooby Doo. If you wish to talk about other H-B properties getting rebooted, you could create a separate thread for it.

17. Mr Flintstone

Mr Flintstone Member

Never was a fan. You've seen one episode, you've seen them all.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I've heard people say that exact same thing about The Flintstones. Everything's relative.

19. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

Forget kids...I wasn't born when the original series first started, and I'm, erm, approaching a milestone age.

As for Scooby's popularity, a group of teenagers who can drive, have adventures everywhere, and a goofy teenager and his pet dog getting into various food-related antics/*very* reluctantly dealing with a bunch of freaks in costumes. Very appealing to kids. :)

20. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Not trying to dispute the show's quality, or the formula if you want to get technical, but I must say this: RE-RUNS!

The Scooby-Doo shows have been repeated on CN/Boom ad nauseam. Especially CN. Scooby-Doo, along with Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, Flintstones & Jetsons are CN's 5 longest and most re-run shows. Basically CN has kept them on air in rotation for the last 20 years. All day, every day. All toons, all the time. That's almost silly.

I remember back in the mid to late 90s there was literally an explosion of Scooby-Doo. The Flintstones and Jetsons started it - being the first families of the Cartoon Network. Flintstones then got overexposed thanks to the Non-Stop-Stones-Athon in '94, Jetsons thanks to Jetsons Tuesdays, Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry...well... more less the same case, but even bigger.

Scooby? CN kept airing the original series over and over. Not just that. He was all over the network. There was a cross-over with Johnny Bravo, Speed Racer, Blair Witch, Courage... There was a 25 hours of Scooby-Doo marathon... Then CN started airing A Pup Named Scooby-Doo, Scooby-Doo Movies, The Scooby-Doo Show, Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo... if I'm not mistaken CN also aired the Laff-A-Lympics... and the cross-over with Richie Rich.... and on top of that... whenever there was Halloween... you guessed it. It was basically CN's "scariest" show. Then year 2000 came along andwe got What's New Scooby-Doo... also heavily re-run... and Mystery Inc...

I do like Scooby, especially the original series, but if it weren't for these re-runs I doubt I'd like him as much.