What is your opinion of the voice acting in B:TAS? The DCAU in general?

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by Riddler, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Riddler

Riddler Member

I was inspired to make this thread after reading Jacob T. Paschal's comments about B:TAS in the Battle of the Brackets thread:

So it got me thinking about the wide variety of voice actors in B:TAS and I was finding it hard to think of any I don't like or think fit the character...and I have a hard time understanding how the voice acting could be seen as atrocious.

Obviously Kevin Conroy as Batman and Mark Hamill as the Joker are iconic. But I feel like almost every character in that show has a voice that helps to create the great atmosphere. I've always thought that Loren Lester was great as Robin, Bob Hastings as Gordon, Efrem Zimbalist Jr. as Alfred.... even some of the smaller characters like Summer Gleason have a memorable voice.

What is your opinion of the voice acting in B:TAS? What are some of your favorite voices? Least favorite? Were there any voices you thought didn't really fit the character?

What about the voice acting of the other DCAU shows (S:TAS, BB, JL, JL:U)?

2. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

Strange... I don't think I've ever come across anyone who strongly disliked the voice acting on B:TAS (or the DCAU). In fact, it's always been highly praised. I very rarely agree with Jacob, so I don't think a whole thread is needed in reaction to one posters opinion.

My thoughts? Andrea Romano cast the series (and all following series) almost to perfection. There was rarely a voice that didn't fit the given character and the actor involved always delivered a fantastic performance.

3. Philmister978

Philmister978 Alvight, you vin

I honestly don't see any problem with the voices personally. Maybe some of the one off characters. But otherwise they're fine.

4. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

Overall I thought that the voice acting in Batman: The Animated Series was very good. My personal favorite performances were by Michael Ansara as Mr. Freeze and David Warner was Ra's Al Ghul.

I found the voice acting in the other DC Animated Universe shows to be very good as well. I consider Superman: The Animated Series to have one of the greatest vocal casts every featured in a cartoon. Tim Daly as Superman, Dana Delaney as Lois Lane, Clancy Brown as Lex Luthor, Corey Burton as Brainiac, Malcolm McDowell as Metallo, and Michael Ironside as Darkseid were all absolutely outstanding. Will Friedle was amazing in Batman Beyond. And I loved the vocal cast in Justice League/Justice League Unlimited. All very very good voice acting.

5. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster

Batman: The Animated Series had one of, if not the, finest voice acting casts ever assembled this side of The Simpsons.

Anyone who says differently must have drastically different tastes to what I, and from pretty much every comment/review/written thought I have ever read online. Most would still consider Kevin Conroy/Mark Hamill the definitive voices for Batman and The Joker over 2 decades after they started performing them.

6. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

The voices for every single major character in the DCAU was perfect. All the heroes, all the villains...all got such great and memorable voices.

Even minor characters like The Clock King got such a memorable and iconic voice, i couldn't believe they got the same voice actor back for that one JLU episode, "Task Force X" when Clock King's last speaking role before that was back in 1995 or something.

7. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

I always thought the DCAU voice casting was pretty spot on for the most part. I mean how can anyone not love Mark Hamill as the Joker?

8. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

I have very few complaints about the voice acting in the DCAU. Not everything was spectacular, but on average, it ranged from good to great.

9. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

Yeah, even recasts like George Newborn's Superman became practically identical to Tim Daly's voice during Season 2 of Justice League.

10. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

I consider acting to be "atrocious" when I cringe at awkward delivery (such as emphasizing the wrong words in a sentence), flat line reads (or, in the opposite direction, overacting everything), and/or bad casting choices where the voice doesn't fit the character type. I never experienced that in B:TAS.

In fact, in some cases, the voices used for the characters are what I consider the "definitive" versions of those characters.

11. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

I loved the voice acting in B:TAS, and I thought that Andrea Romano rarely put a foot wrong in her DCAU casting choices. Lots of perfect castings in B:TAS, JL/JLU etc. The characters in B:TAS especially had plenty of charm because of their voices, and the standard of the acting was generally very strong.

12. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

I honestly can't think of a single voice in the entire DCAU that I disliked. Everyone from the heroes, to the villains, to the support characters like Havrey Bullock, etc. were all great.

13. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

IMO, the DCAU has some of the best voice acting PERIOD. I can't think of a single bad role. And some of the casting was surprising, too! Who would have thought that Disney sitcom star Will Friedle would do such a good job in Batman Beyond?

14. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Member

I think the DCAU voice cast is completely flawless.

Kevin Conroy has the best Batman voice. Both Tim Daly and George Newborn do well as Superman, Susan Eisenberg has been great as Wonder Woman, Phil LaMarr is awesome as Static and Green Lantern AKA John Stewart, Michael Rosenbaum rocks as The Flash, Will Friedle is great as the voice of Terry McGinnis, Mark Hamill is great as The Joker, Arleen Sorkin rocks as Harley Quinn, Clancy Brown has the best Lex Luthor voice, and Corey Burton is great as the voice of Brainiac. I also like how that cast was re-used for other DC cartoons like Batman: The Brave and the Bold.

Overall, the DCAU voice cast is the best.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2014
  15. -batmat-

-batmat- Member

That's pretty much it!

16. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

I'll have to extend this to Teen Titans and Young Justice as well, I think all the voices in those shows were absolutely perfect.

Who didn't love Starfire's voice on Teen Titans? Cyborg, Beast Boy and Raven were also perfectly cast. I liked Robin's voice and Slade's was pure evil and calculating. Young Justice also had fantastic voice work for M'gann and Superboy and Artemis...everyone really.

17. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

Anyone who says the BTAS voice acting sucks needs to give "I Am the Night" a re-watch. There's some good emoting in there.

18. mrbean1500

mrbean1500 Member

While I agree with everyone else that the DC shows have great voice actors that really fit their roles, I didn't like the Joker in Young Justice. Although, I'm not sure if it's his acting, his voice, or the lines that bug me.

19. DCAU969

DCAU969 Guest

The DCAU voice acting was awesome. In my opinion, the DCAU cartoons had better voice actors than the non DCAU cartoons. Kevin Conroy is my favorite Batman voice actor, Mark Hamill is my favorite Joker voice actor, Tim Daly was my favorite Superman voice actor, with George Newbern being my second favorite, Dana Delany is my favorite Lois Lane voice actress, Clancy Brown is my favorite Lex Luthor voice actor, Susan Eisenberg is my favorite Wonder Wooman voice actress, Michael Rosenbaum is my favorite Flash voice actor, and the list goes on. All of the voice actors in the DCAU were great.

20. darkdetective

darkdetective Active Member

The only voice acting that bothered me was the JL's Royal Flush Gang, specifically King. Everyone esle I can buy, and disassociate them from their Teen Titans roles, except for him. (Then again, that's only now. The first time i saw it is never seen teen titans, so it didn't bother me.) Also, Cree Summers was/is a bit overused as a voice actress in general, I feel. I always think of her as the actress rather than the character.